• Current Donation Goals

Blue_Fever

Official: Eden Hazard Joins Real Madrid

jones   

Since when do 17 year olds work as ballboys anyway?

When your father, who is a major club shareholder, wants you to. And when you have so much respect for the sport that you deliberately wait for an opportunity to sabotage a game. I am certain he would have done it regardless of him being 17 or 25.

I'm suprised by the reaction today, not because I don't think it's correct but because I don't have much faith in the general publics reaction to high profile situations like this. I didn't read the papers or watch/listen to the sports media, I'm sure they over-exaggerated it and sensationalised it, but everyone I spoke to didn't think it was a big deal or basically thought as I do that, Eden should have used his brain a bit more, but that a lot of people would have done the same thing.

The general consensus was not that Hazard's a nasty bloke or that he deserved a lengthy ban or anything.

I think we might be lucky for the reputation of him and the club that it was Hazard and not some else and I think this will blow over quickly.

Oh Great, so now my tax money is being wasted because 3 'Dicks' complained to the police and are obliged to investigate. Investigate what, I may ask? Just watch the bloody game and stop wasting peoples time and my money!

FFS, this is really P***ing me off. I'm taking up tiddlywinks,I've had enough!

Just a quick one from me, I listened to the game on Talksport and the way the commentary went, it sounded as though Hazard had booted the ballboy hard in the ribs, which is why I posted in the match thread when Juan Mata Dor commented about the boy being an dick, in my reply I made it clear that I disagreed and his comment was wrong. But having seen the 'incident' I wish to apologise to Juan Mata Dor and agree with him, the ballboy is a dick. I was misled by the commentary so, sorry mate.

Is Hazard in the wrong? - Yes

He acted unprofessionally and should have let the referee deal with the situation, all he did by kicking the ball was put the ref in a position where had no choice but to send him off, he also wasted even more time and we had to play for a further 20 minutes with 10 men. Add to that the fact that as a club we are trying to come away from a poor image we have gained in the last few years - this was a very bad move in terms of PR. Although he acted in the heat of the moment and hopefully he'll learn from this, he must've known how it would look and the difficult position he was putting the ref in.

Should Hazard have been sent off? - Yes

Although in this instance I disagree with the letter of the law (Much like I disagree with the yellow card for shirt removal rule) - this falls into the category of unprofessional behaviour and gross misconduct. The referee was right to send Hazard, take into consideration also the fact that Foy probably wouldn't have seen this, and if he did would have had a very blinkered snapshot view of this, the linesman is on the side of Hazard so will see Hazard's foot make contact directly where the ballboy was laying, So even if by the letter of the law the incident was not a sending off (Which to be fair it is - rightly or wrongly) You cannot blame the ref for making the decision they did.

Should Swansea City / Ballboy be punished? - Yes

It is quite clear that Swansea City employed older and experienced ballboys to deploy time wasting tactics. The tweet from the boy in question highlights this but take that out of the equation I was there last night and it was quite clear what the brief was. Now I completely get time wasting tactics, in moderation. I don't agree with them but I get them and do not complain when we employ them, however what I do disagree with is how Swansea City in my eyes endangered their employees in this way.

The reason I say endangered comes from looking at how easily things can evolve -

Young Ballboy wastes time -> 15k Swansea fans singing Que Sera Sera -> Young Ballboy wants to be hero and in his youth does something stupid and lays on ball -> Hazard kicks ball and gets sent off (Instigated by over reaction of ballboy)

The next part to the above flow could easily have been an angry fan throwing something at the kid, or like the Kirkland incident a fan running on and attacking the boy, we've seen it so often this season with so much less provocation, the kid lost his head which is not so uncharacteristic of a young boy and induced anger from the fans right infront of them, putting himself at risk, also the kid isn't hard to find as twitter has demonstrated so now any over zealous fans are free to verbally abuse him as much as they want. It was an extremely ill judged move by Swansea to waste time in such a manner and involve kids in something that not only requires an experienced head but also a certain level of intricacy and intelligence, when so much is at stake and the ballboy is at such exposure to the masses. They should have realised that asking young kids to act in such a way infront of 15,000 home fans and 3000 away fans could have lead them to immaturity and therefore put themselves at risk.

Should the police get involved / Should Hazard receive a ban beyond the standard 3 Match? - No

This for me is where the whole thing gets ridiculously stupid, firstly the fact that someone external to the situation can lodge a complaint when the 'victim' themselves had already dropped the charges is beyond me, that however is the society we live in and unfortunately as we are Chelsea FC a witch hunt will inevitably occur. The situation itself is clear for me, Hazard kicked the ball and there is clearly no malice in the incident. What should happen is the police realise there is no case to answer and drop it. What will probably happen if the prosecutor remains adament on pressing charges is it will go to court and Hazard will be found not guilty. Fingers crossed this time the FA cannot further charge/Ban Hazard if the Police/Court rule him to be not guilty as not only has the referee already dealt with the situation by issuing a red card but also this time I believe the 'body of proof' situation in the JT case would be different in the case that for the FA to ban him further they would have to have prove Hazard kicked the boy himself and meant it, which would already have been found not to be the case by a court.

Is Hazard in the wrong? - Yes

He acted unprofessionally and should have let the referee deal with the situation, all he did by kicking the ball was put the ref in a position where had no choice but to send him off, he also wasted even more time and we had to play for a further 20 minutes with 10 men. Add to that the fact that as a club we are trying to come away from a poor image we have gained in the last few years - this was a very bad move in terms of PR. Although he acted in the heat of the moment and hopefully he'll learn from this, he must've known how it would look and the difficult position he was putting the ref in.

Should Hazard have been sent off? - Yes

Although in this instance I disagree with the letter of the law (Much like I disagree with the yellow card for shirt removal rule) - this falls into the category of unprofessional behaviour and gross misconduct. The referee was right to send Hazard, take into consideration also the fact that Foy probably wouldn't have seen this, and if he did would have had a very blinkered snapshot view of this, the linesman is on the side of Hazard so will see Hazard's foot make contact directly where the ballboy was laying, So even if by the letter of the law the incident was not a sending off (Which to be fair it is - rightly or wrongly) You cannot blame the ref for making the decision they did.

Should Swansea City / Ballboy be punished? - Yes

It is quite clear that Swansea City employed older and experienced ballboys to deploy time wasting tactics. The tweet from the boy in question highlights this but take that out of the equation I was there last night and it was quite clear what the brief was. Now I completely get time wasting tactics, in moderation. I don't agree with them but I get them and do not complain when we employ them, however what I do disagree with is how Swansea City in my eyes endangered their employees in this way.

The reason I say endangered comes from looking at how easily things can evolve -

Young Ballboy wastes time -> 15k Swansea fans singing Que Sera Sera -> Young Ballboy wants to be hero and in his youth does something stupid and lays on ball -> Hazard kicks ball and gets sent off (Instigated by over reaction of ballboy)

The next part to the above flow could easily have been an angry fan throwing something at the kid, or like the Kirkland incident a fan running on and attacking the boy, we've seen it so often this season with so much less provocation, the kid lost his head which is not so uncharacteristic of a young boy and induced anger from the fans right infront of them, putting himself at risk, also the kid isn't hard to find as twitter has demonstrated so now any over zealous fans are free to verbally abuse him as much as they want. It was an extremely ill judged move by Swansea to waste time in such a manner and involve kids in something that not only requires an experienced head but also a certain level of intricacy and intelligence, when so much is at stake and the ballboy is at such exposure to the masses. They should have realised that asking young kids to act in such a way infront of 15,000 home fans and 3000 away fans could have lead them to immaturity and therefore put themselves at risk.

Should the police get involved / Should Hazard receive a ban beyond the standard 3 Match? - No

This for me is where the whole thing gets ridiculously stupid, firstly the fact that someone external to the situation can lodge a complaint when the 'victim' themselves had already dropped the charges is beyond me, that however is the society we live in and unfortunately as we are Chelsea FC a witch hunt will inevitably occur. The situation itself is clear for me, Hazard kicked the ball and there is clearly no malice in the incident. What should happen is the police realise there is no case to answer and drop it. What will probably happen if the prosecutor remains adament on pressing charges is it will go to court and Hazard will be found not guilty. Fingers crossed this time the FA cannot further charge/Ban Hazard if the Police/Court rule him to be not guilty as not only has the referee already dealt with the situation by issuing a red card but also this time I believe the 'body of proof' situation in the JT case would be different in the case that for the FA to ban him further they would have to have prove Hazard kicked the boy himself and meant it, which would already have been found not to be the case by a court.

I disagree about the first two parts (Hazard got the ball, didn't hurt the guy, nothing violent at all, kid fooled everyone, my brain cannot compute that as unprofessional).

But credit for typing an articulate argument. Great read.