• Current Donation Goals

Blue_Fever

Official: Eden Hazard Joins Real Madrid

19 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Well I'm sure you can replace Speedie with Gallas

Sadly Speedie really was irreplaceable.  When that team broke up, I said to my Dad that both Spackman and Speedie would end up at Liverpool.  Whenever we played badly, they played magnificently (a bit like Gallas).  So glad Bates named two West Stand entrances after them - they were crucial to our history.

25 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

At least we had the same top 3. I thougth about Wisey but he just missed out. Essien is a good shout though! The rest played before I was born... **** you're old;)

MT usually turns up at this point and talks about Greaves.  I don't remember Greaves.

Leo91   

God damn it Eden... I love you too brother!!  😥

8 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

MT usually turns up at this point and talks about Greaves.  I don't remember Greaves.

You should, even if you're not old enough (as you're suggesting). The greatest. Ever. 

4 seasons.  169 appearances. 132 goals. Legend.

image.gif

Bison   

I'll remember Eden as an amazing player who gave us the bulk of his prime years. Fantastic player and by all accounts a great teammate and gentleman. Thanks and good luck.

The biggest regret is that, on a sporting level, we cannot make a compelling case for him to stay. We are so far off competing for the Premier League & Champions League and that likely isn't going to change any time soon.

Had this club been run better even a little bit we would have had a chance to convince our best player to stay.

Doubt it to be honest. Most players seem to have this obsession or fantasy of playing for Real Madrid, and once Madrid make their interest known, it’s inevitable really. Wether we won the league this season or not, would of been irrelevant. 

Hazard is top 5 and I can't name a player I've enjoyed watching more. A legend, undoubtedly.

I struggle to rank Terry, Lampard and Drogba in any other way than =1. Cech's not too far behind either.

Zola's up there, Dennis Wise too. And Di Matteo always makes my Top 10 just because of the finals.

Interesting to see Hasselbaink mentioned earlier - he wouldn't be in my Top 10 but he's the best out and out striker I've seen in a blue shirt and was just incredibly unlucky to fall in between two eras of success.

44 minutes ago, Bison said:

Had this club been run better even a little bit we would have had a chance to convince our best player to stay.

Other than 1 disastrous year of mismanagement, this club has been run excellently for 16 years.
We have never out spent RM even in the early days, but we were perhaps the 3rd biggest spender in Europe.  We should never attempt to outspend the big 6 European clubs now, even though we still outperform some of them. 

1 hour ago, Bison said:

Nah. He's achieved all it was ever realistically possible for him to achieve at Chelsea given the context of English and European football in the 7 years he's been here. He's won the title twice in that time and there are very, very few PL players who can say better, and those who can have been at a club who can do transfer business the likes of which has been beyond us from before Hazard's signing. We've had everything in place for a genuine CL challenge maybe 1 year in the time he's been here, and that came apart only in the semi-final second leg. 

I think 'better run' here is a proxy for 'more fantastically bank-rolled'. Besides which, who is to say that more success would have kept him here? If what he wants is a new challenge, achieving more earlier at Chelsea would surely have been an argument for leaving years ago? 

I don't think you can look at Hazard going as a sign our star as a truly elite club has fallen. It fell about a decade ago; we were one of the top 3 clubs in world football for a few years and that is what I mean when I say elite. It may seem counterintuitive, but Hazard going after 7 years is instead an indicator of a kind of over-performance. We have done very well and must have meant a great deal to him for him to stay so long. 

Sciatika   

I am going to think about it over the summer. Maybe it needs a topic. I don't remember Greaves as a Chelsea player. I am a JCL as I only really remember from about 1967 onwards. I have a feeling my favourites probably track periods of success at the club. The FA Cup side of the early 70s, the promotion side of the mid-80s, the cosmopolitan teams of the 90s, the brilliant Mourinho sides of the noughties. Looking at that, it makes me look like a glory-hunter but we have had a lot of ups and downs in that time. For me, the 10s have really been a period of constant transitions and mixed fortunes taking us from the end of one period with the CL win to the beginning of a new one. Hazard has been there for us through it all. For that alone, he is magnificent. He has had his own personal ups and downs of course but his solution is to work on it. Always making plays, scoring goals, bringing players in, finding and making spaces. He is a truly magical player and this EL win will be his reward and his swansong for us. Definitely top ten for me. 

paulw66   
10 hours ago, Leo91 said:
  1. Lampard
  2. Zola
  3. Terry
  4. Drogba
  5. Cech
  6. Hasselbaink
  7. Wise

After Wise there's a next tier for me. Ivanovic, A.Cole, Mata, Hazard, Gudjohnsen, Vialli, Makelele etc etc

Are you talking about favourite, as oppoed to best?