• Current Donation Goals

Blue_Fever

Official: Eden Hazard Joins Real Madrid

Leo91   
2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Are you talking about favourite, as oppoed to best? 

isn't that what we're doing?

Bison   
3 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Nah. He's achieved all it was ever realistically possible for him to achieve at Chelsea given the context of English and European football in the 7 years he's been here. He's won the title twice in that time and there are very, very few PL players who can say better, and those who can have been at a club who can do transfer business the likes of which has been beyond us from before Hazard's signing. We've had everything in place for a genuine CL challenge maybe 1 year in the time he's been here, and that came apart only in the semi-final second leg. 

I think 'better run' here is a proxy for 'more fantastically bank-rolled'. Besides which, who is to say that more success would have kept him here? If what he wants is a new challenge, achieving more earlier at Chelsea would surely have been an argument for leaving years ago? 

I don't think you can look at Hazard going as a sign our star as a truly elite club has fallen. It fell about a decade ago; we were one of the top 3 clubs in world football for a few years and that is what I mean when I say elite. It may seem counterintuitive, but Hazard going after 7 years is instead an indicator of a kind of over-performance. We have done very well and must have meant a great deal to him for him to stay so long. 

We have spent a lot of money in recent years but our squad still needs an awful lot of work.

11 minutes ago, Bison said:

We have spent a lot of money in recent years but our squad still needs an awful lot of work.

I agree, but not sure I understand how that is relevant to what I said or how well run we are. Lots of clubs have spent a lot of money and still need to do so.

How many clubs are there that fit the following three criteria? How many do we domestically compete with?

a) 'Better run' than us (using the broadest, most open understanding of 'better run'
b) Have won more trophies than us in the last decade or so
c) Have less money than us

Really struggling to come up with a single answer; I can think of a few 'better run' clubs with emptier (or empty entirely) trophy cabinets, or a few who spend and so win more, but none who are 'better run' but not by virtue of more money and still win things. I can think of a few who spend more and aren't generally seen as organisational shambles but still can't get close to our success.

It simply isn't true that we're badly run, or that being better run would mean Hazard staying.

Edited by thevelourfog
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I agree, but not sure I understand how that is relevant to what I said or how well run we are. Lots of clubs have spent a lot of money and still need to do so.

How many clubs are there that fit the following three criteria? How many do we domestically compete with?

a) 'Better run' than us (using the broadest, most open understanding of 'better run'
b) Have won more trophies than us in the last decade or so
c) Have less money than us

Really struggling to come up with a single answer; I can think of a few 'better run' clubs with emptier (or empty entirely) trophy cabinets, or a few who spend and so win more, but none who are 'better run' but not by virtue of more money and still win things. I can think of a few who spend more and aren't generally seen as organisational shambles but still can't get close to our success.

It simply isn't true that we're badly run, or that being better run would mean Hazard staying.

Totally agree, I think it was time for Hazard to move on, 7 years is a long time in the modern era and he has given Chelsea decent service. Hard to begrudge him his big move

• Like 1

Dingus   
On 14/01/2012 at 0:53 PM, Blue_Fever said:

Oprning this so that the January Transfer Window doesn't turn into the Hazard special. The other Hazard thread is locked...

http://www.dailymail...elsea-move.html

What a 7 years it has been.

Knew that this day would come. Still doesn’t make it any easier.

One of the best ever to grace Stamford Bridge. Thanks for all the memories Eden.

I'm not believing it until the club announce it .....

Dingus   
2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm not believing it until the club announce it .....

Erm, they have...

Flinkers   

Thank you Eden for your skill, goals, assists and commitment.

I would have loved it, if he’d stayed but can’t begrudge him his move after everything he’s done for us. Just hope the dream lives up to the reality...

We’ll miss his goals and creativity, and next season has just got exponentially harder, but if we can consolidate this year, bed in a couple of youngsters and use our cash stockpile wisely when we can, we should be good going forward.

KTBFFH!

Leo91   

Now it's actually confirmed I'm gutted.

Might have to pick up this seasons shirt with Hazard on the back as a piece of remembrance.