• Current Donation Goals

Blue_Fever

Official: Eden Hazard Joins Real Madrid

59 minutes ago, chara said:

Yep..me too...not followed anything except the basic result....if I don't acknowledge it then it is a non event...

What are we talking about?

JaneB   
12 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

What are we talking about?

6 hours ago, Sciatika said:

LIverpool winning the CL

I think Bob is being droll?

12 minutes ago, JaneB said:

I think Bob is being droll?

Well spotted!

Gutted obviously, but he gave us a huge amount and did so with grace and humility. Really hope that he smashes the absolute **** (if I can be so vulgar) out of Barca! 

I think there is something to the idea that him finally leaving lifts a weight, and that we can perhaps take a new direction from here. There is no point trying to replace him, but you can instead start afresh with different ideas. I often bemoaned how lacking in cut-throat, 100mph directness we've been in the last few years. Hazard often made a mockery of me for doing so, but perhaps now is the time to move in that direction. It clearly achieves results but doesn't really fit with his (incredible, unsurpassed for clarity) skillset. We cannot be what we were without him, but we can be something else that works. 

Quick word for our players, club and fans. All incredible in, as Jose might put it, the 'human aspect'. Hazard conducted himself with integrity and humility, the club treated him with respect, and the fans have (largely) thanked and praised him effusively. Impossible to imagine him being booed on a return, or the club leaking stories to the press about wage demands or similar. I'd obviously prefer he was here, but creditable conduct all round. 

paulw66   
55 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Gutted obviously, but he gave us a huge amount and did so with grace and humility. Really hope that he smashes the absolute **** (if I can be so vulgar) out of Barca! 

I think there is something to the idea that him finally leaving lifts a weight, and that we can perhaps take a new direction from here. There is no point trying to replace him, but you can instead start afresh with different ideas. I often bemoaned how lacking in cut-throat, 100mph directness we've been in the last few years. Hazard often made a mockery of me for doing so, but perhaps now is the time to move in that direction. It clearly achieves results but doesn't really fit with his (incredible, unsurpassed for clarity) skillset. We cannot be what we were without him, but we can be something else that works. 

Quick word for our players, club and fans. All incredible in, as Jose might put it, the 'human aspect'. Hazard conducted himself with integrity and humility, the club treated him with respect, and the fans have (largely) thanked and praised him effusively. Impossible to imagine him being booed on a return, or the club leaking stories to the press about wage demands or similar. I'd obviously prefer he was here, but creditable conduct all round. 

Sums it up for me.

Real shame we didn't do him justice by building a good enough team to compete with Europe's elite. If I was him, I would have been tempted to go 12 months earlier after watching us win a league and taking a massive step back (for the second time) with awful recruitment. 

Would have been very interestng to see Hazard's numbers had he played in the Chelsea team of 2005-2010. Had he not spent the last 2 or 3 years double marked through being our only real threat, who knows what he might have achieved.

I actually think he will bang in 30 odd goals a season for Real for the following reasons:

1. Game refereed differently, and his hacks will lead to more yellows, reds, free kicks and penalties

2. Real have more of a goal threat across the team, so more space

3. Poor standard of oppo in the bottom half

4. He is very good. 

• Like 1

Top man and top player.  As far as I'm concerned, a legend as well.  No arrogance nor a bad attitude, unlike certain modern day players from other teams I could mention.  Goodbye Eden and good luck, you will be sorely missed.

Agreed. Not only a legend, but a man whose behaviour was always positive, and a great role model. Never saw him dive once (certain of our own players could take note, let alone competitors) and on being flattened, almost always bounced straight up and got on with it. Dribbling is a bit like spin bowling: not always that fashionable, not as immediately thrilling as a screaming shot from the halfway line, but a high art nonetheless - anyone who saw Abdul Qadir in his prime will know just what I mean. Who can compare? 

• Like 1

Eden Hazard: Real Madrid's new signing presented in front of thousands at Bernabeu.

Eden Hazard said he was "not a Galactico, but I'll try to be" as he was officially presented as a Real Madrid player in front of a reported 50,000 fans at the Bernabeu.

The Belgium forward, 28, joined from Chelsea last week for a fee that could exceed £150m.

Hazard underwent a medical and then signed his five-year deal alongside Real president Florentino Perez. 

"My dream ever since I was a child has been to play for Real Madrid," he said.

After signing his contract, Perez introduced Hazard, who first spoke in Spanish saying: "Hola todos" (hello everyone), before continuing with a short speech in French.

He then changed into the Real kit and walked onto the pitch, before kicking gold and white balls into the crowd and kissing the club's badge.

Later in a news conference, he said: "I'm going to try to become the best player in the world, but first I wanted to be in the best team in the world.

"I'm not a Galactico, but I'll try to be, for now I'm Eden Hazard."

Hazard did not have a number on his shirt, as the number 10 he wore at Chelsea and for Belgium is taken by Luka Modric at Real.

"I've been lucky enough to talk to Modric through Kovacic, I jokingly asked him to leave me number 10 and he said no," said Hazard. "The number for me is not important."

Hazard said Real had made a move to sign him after last summer's World Cup, but said now was "the best time" to join the Spanish club.

"I don't think it is too late, I am 28 years old, the best moment for a player," he said.

Zinedine Zidane returned to the club for his second spell as manager in March and Hazard said the Frenchman was a factor in his move.

"Everyone knows Zidane was my idol growing up," he said. "That he is the coach has been an important factor but not the only one. I already wanted to play here."

image.gif

image.gif