• Current Donation Goals

Blue_Fever

Official: Eden Hazard Joins Real Madrid

34 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I read somewhere online someone was commetning on Alexis Sanchez fall from grace, and pointed out he currently has wracked up 724 career appearances, a huge amount for someone aged just 30, and maybe this has taken its toll on Sanchez' body. ...

Hazard has played a LOT of football for someone who is supposed to now be in their prime. A couple of years at Real, and he will surpass some of those above by the time he reaches 30*. It wouldn't surprise me if his form tapers off in the not too distant future. Don't get me wrong, I am not happy he has gone, but I do wonder if we have got the best of him. Time will tell if we sold at just the right time. 

* for Robben, Drogba and Sanchez, a lot of their appearances came in leagues that were far less physical than the PL too. 

Interesting.  Messi has 845 appearances at 32 (I count full ints, Barca, Barca B but not C)

Ronaldo has 966 at 34.  Both are still going strong.

You are right to talk about Spanish football being less exhausting than the Prem.  One wonders why Ronaldo went to Italy, surely there is as much or more money in the Prem (and more sponsorship).

Perhaps this is a very smart move by Hazard to keep going for another 10 years.

paulw66   
3 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Interesting.  Messi has 845 appearances at 32 (I count full ints, Barca, Barca B but not C)

You are right to talk about Spanish football being less exhausting than the Prem.  One wonders why Ronaldo went to Italy, surely there is as much or more money in the Prem (and more sponsorship).

You might be right. I kept thinking he would have his ankle broken in 2 by a Stoke full back, and was amazing it never happened. 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

You might be right. I kept thinking he would have his ankle broken in 2 by a Stoke full back, and was amazing it never happened. 

To be fair, Stoke - Bardsley was the player tasked with that job- can't be faulted for their efforts.

• Like 1

Got poor reviews from all the Spanish press for last nights performance. I said when he went he may only last the year; especially as Real have Mbappe on their radar for next season. 

Jasonb   
1 hour ago, King Kante said:

Got poor reviews from all the Spanish press for last nights performance. I said when he went he may only last the year; especially as Real have Mbappe on their radar for next season. 

I also don't expect him to be a great success there though do expect him to show them what he can go with the odd cracker of a goal. Give him a few more outings and no doubt he will conjure up something special.

1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

Courtois dreadful reviews again. Can’t say I’m not enjoying that. 

Indeed. TC is a bit of a funny keeper. He is excellent in the air commanding his area but he only ever seems to save the shots that should be saved. 

Jasonb   
On 12/09/2019 at 2:42 PM, Droy was my hero said:

One of the health findings in recent years is that vitamin D is not only good for bones yet also good for the immune system and of course it is more prevalent in the Mediterrean area.

Kezza   
20 hours ago, King Kante said:

Indeed. TC is a bit of a funny keeper. He is excellent in the air commanding his area but he only ever seems to save the shots that should be saved. 

How about our Kepa. Is he funny? He lets in goals that he has got his touch on.

I'm enjoying TC's blunders though. At this rate the Madrid fans will be on his back soon enough.

Edited by Kezza

1 hour ago, Kezza said:

How about our Kepa. Is he funny? He lets in goals that he has got his touch on.

I'm enjoying TC's blunders though. At this rate the Madrid fans will be on his back soon enough.

I am a Kepa sceptic as I have said on numerous occasions that he has key weakness that are an issue - lack of ability to controll his area by coming for crosses and letting balls go through him far too often. He does have great agility and he is relatively inexperienced so coule improve. However, he wad an expensive panic buy so I do not think he was scouted as much as one would expect as he only played about 55 games before we signed him and they were all in La Liga and the Copa.  

As for TC, whilst he was not the greatest keeper, I thought he was a decent fit for us as he was very good at dealing with high balls and controlling his area, which is the biggest reason we currently cannot defend set pieces anymore. However, he did have his limitations in that he only really ever made regulation saves.