• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FLIAL

Hapoel Tel Aviv Vs Chelsea 01/02 - Do You Remember That Game?

FLIAL   

It was a lot before I was chelsea fan! I can remember myself watching this game.

Chrisb   

I remember the media having a field day with the "Tel Aviv Six" (Marcel Desailly, Emmanuel Petit, Eidur Gudjohnsen, Graeme Le Saux, William Gallas, and Albert Ferrer) who refused to travel due to safety concerns.

I remember the media having a field day with the "Tel Aviv Six" (Marcel Desailly, Emmanuel Petit, Eidur Gudjohnsen, Graeme Le Saux, William Gallas, and Albert Ferrer) who refused to travel due to safety concerns.

Talksport went to town on Le Saux that morning. Calling him all sorts.

Israel did use to compete in the AFC, but the obvious political problems (Middle Eastern teams often refused to play them), wars and so on made it difficult. They were expelled in 1974 (possibly on the back of the Yom Kippur War? Not sure.), and were confederation-less until being invited to join UEFA in the 1990s. Seems the sensible option, all things considered.

Turkey actually borders the traditional divide of Europe and Asia so could arguably be in either with equal merit. Cyprus is more straight-forward due to Mediterranean islands (inc. Malta etc.) generally being considered part of Europe anyway. Plus Nicosia is in both the Greek and Turkish halves of Cyprus (although APOEL is Greek)! The likes of Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan etc. simply extends from them formerly being part of the USSR, which was (and now is with Russia as well) always more European than Asian at its core. When they became independent it seemed fair enough to let them continue in the same competitions as before.

Chrisb   

I remember this like it was a yesterday, strangely enough. I was only 9 at the time.

I remember it, but not like it was yesterday! Mind you I was 29 at the time! The old memory is not as good as it used to be!!

dubzie   

Vaguely remember the game, I was very young at the time. As to the other posts, I think it is valid to say that Israel shouldn't really be in the UEFA Champions league (Europe), but they are and I have no problem with it.

Vaguely remember the game, I was very young at the time. As to the other posts, I think it is valid to say that Israel shouldn't really be in the UEFA Champions league (Europe), but they are and I have no problem with it.

It's only due to the hateful mentality of their neighbours. An Iranian side refused to go to play an exhibition match against Partizan Belgrade because Avram was manager.

As for the ones who refused to travel - cowards, the lot of them.

Both performances were embarrassing - the first because we were not up for it, the second because our finishing was dire.

Nick89   

I remember this game clearly. We didn't have teletext or internet, so I had to call a phone-line to hear the result of the Uefa Cup, cost the family £0.5. I do remember Petit shopping with his wife, the picture was in the newspaper. We didn't here too much about it here in Denmark though, and I was only 11 at that time.