• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sir

Live Match Thread: Chelsea V Napoli

Sir   

Please use this thread for all posts relating to the Uefa Champions League match against Napoli, before and during the game.

Moderators and our legal people will be keeping an eye on things. Keep it intelligent.

Please note that this unmoderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is at 19:45 hrs, Wednesday, 14th March 2012, at Stamford Bridge.

Don't forget to join ClubCFCnet it's only £1 per month http://www.clubcfcnet.com

Cahill/Terry at the back please, I think that's a more solid partnership in a game we can't afford to let a goal in.

I would go with a midfield 3 of Mikel, Lampard and Essien, with Torres up top and Mata and Ramires on the wings.

Alternatively, we could go Lampard and Essien in midfield with Torres left, Mata central and Ramires/Sturridge on the right and Drogba up top.

I do worry slightly though whether RDM and Newton have the tactical know-how to succeed in a game like this.

1. Need to keep the ball better. Too many passes went astray today against Stoke.

2. Playing a DM is a must. Paid a major price for not having one at San Paolo.

3. Whatever happens on Wednesday, want to see 100% effort and determination for this game.

4. Not being a pessimist here but getting KOed by Napoli may be a blessing disguise.

Ando   

2. Playing a DM is a must. Paid a major price for not having one at San Paolo

According to AVB we played with two. But I see what you mean, we didn't play with people with a skill set of a DM. Mikel and Essien would do lovely against Napoli.

We have won all of our home games on the champions league by at least 2 goals without reply this season. Chelsea 2-0 Bayer Leverkusen, Chelsea 5-0 Genk, Chelsea 3-0 Valencia.

After seeing how open Napoli's defence is I do not see why we cannot score at least two goals against them. Where the problem will lie is if we will be able to keep a clean sheet against their lethal attack. More than likely two goals won't do. So let's hope we get at least 4 and advance to the next round and knock barcelona off their high horse! :-)

After today's performance it will be hard to leave out Mikel. Although Ess could do a job there too. Could this work with Essien pushing forward when we're attacking?

-------------------Cech------------------------

Bran------Cahill------Terry------Bertrand

----------------Mikel---------------------------

-------------------------Essien----------------

Sturridge----------Lamps------------Mata

-----------------Torres/Drogba--------------

Ando   

We need all of our goal scoring threats on for this game. I'm afraid that means dropping Torres and Drogba and Lampard having the game of their season.

-------------Cech-----------

ivan--cahill---Terry---Cole

---Essien-------mikel------

------------mata-------------

ramires-------------sturridge

-----------torres--------------

In spite of our poor season so far, a 2-0 win over Napoli isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

Cahill and Terry, I believe, are a potentially more solid partnership than any other centre back combination we can field, and with Mikel and Essien (with Essien given licence to roam forward when applicable) providing defensive cover in midfield (allowing our fullbacks, whoever they may be on the night, to bomb up the flanks) and Mata, Lampard and Sturidge providing for either Drogba or Torres, we may yet actually nick a couple of goals whilst keeping a clean sheet (something we've managed in every European home tie so far this season)

We may have looked ponderous at times against Stoke yesterday, but in spite of their 3-1 goal advantage, Napoli are not likely to sit back and defend in numbers the way Stoke did... it's not in their nature.

Not saying we WILL win, just that we still stand a decent chance if all those wearing a blue shirt put in a shift. Even if we don't progress, it may not be the disaster some may think it is, allowing us to concentrate on getting that 4th place (and if Spurs and Arsenal keep dropping points, even 3rd might not be an impossibility) and CL qualification for next season.

Cech

Iva Cahill Terry Cole

Mikel

Ramires Lampard

Sturridge Drogba Mata

No fannying about. Need Lamps and Studge for goals. Drogba and Mikel for experience. Ramires for energy and Mata for creativity. Most importantly start with Cahill and Terry with Luiz on the bench for our own safety.