• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KWCFC

New Laptop Time!

KWCFC   

The time has come! Just wondering if anyone has spotted anything that has taken their eye recently that they can refer me to? Ability to play football manager is a must! ;)

Chrisb   

I like Mac's, but mine recently went all tits up...

Well that's a good recommendation then!!! Note to self...don't get a Mac!!! Loving your work Juan Mata Dor!

Sir   

Well that's a good recommendation then!!! Note to self...don't get a Mac!!! Loving your work Juan Mata Dor!

I think they're awesome, but the safari on it kept crashing, and then it developed some sort of bug and stopped working..... I don't know much about any other laptops really...

Chrisb   

I think they're awesome, but the safari on it kept crashing, and then it developed some sort of bug and stopped working..... I don't know much about any other laptops really...

I'm no expert, I'm still using a 4 year old Advent that I bought to take to Afghanistan with me to listen to music and watch DVD's on! It survived and I'm still using it!

Nick89   

The time has come! Just wondering if anyone has spotted anything that has taken their eye recently that they can refer me to? Ability to play football manager is a must! ;)

Luckily Football Manager doesn't require much hardware-wise. What's your budget??

I have a MacBook Pro with a 256Gb SSD and 8Gb RAM. Takes under 15 seconds from switching it on to browsing the web... yet to see any Windows based PC do that! Runs FM2012 just fine (can have 6 or 7 other European leagues as well as English league running) and it's blisteringly fast. From a work point of view, I can shoot 36Mb RAW images tethered straight into Sofortbild or Photoshop. I was able to write IPTC data to a batch of over 500 images in under 20 seconds... another photographer sat next to me in the press tent using a Samsung Series 7 found a similar process took him over 3 minutes!

Before this MacBook Pro, I had (and still have) a standard MacBook (the white plastic one) for over 7 years... still going strong.

Prior to switching to Macs, I would get through a PC laptop every 18 months or so. While Macs are far more expensive per unit than PC laptops, overall they're cheaper... my 7 year old MacBook cost me around £600 but divide that by 7 years and it's under £100 a year. My PC laptops cost around £300 and lasted about 18 months... that's £200 a year; so actually twice as expensive as my Macs.

Better build qulity, better operating system, better looks, less susceptible to viruses/malware... choose a Mac... it's a no-brainer!

Ando   

Aren't they bringing out new MacBook Pro's soon? Willing to wait as I want my next laptop to be a mac!

Aren't they bringing out new MacBook Pro's soon? Willing to wait as I want my next laptop to be a mac!

If you mean a new "unibody" design, I don't know about that. If you mean improved specifications, that's an on-going process just as with any computer manufacturer. If you wait and wait because some new improvement is just around the corner, you'll end up never buying anything (and sometimes the new model isn't actually an improvement on the old model... I'd rather have a Nikon D3s than a new D4 any day!!!)

If you look at the Apple web site it says "The New MacBook Pro", but in looks it's the same as my MacBook Pro... just better, more up-to-date hardware inside than what I'm typing on at the moment.

Ando   

If you mean a new "unibody" design, I don't know about that. If you mean improved specifications, that's an on-going process just as with any computer manufacturer. If you wait and wait because some new improvement is just around the corner, you'll end up never buying anything (and sometimes the new model isn't actually an improvement on the old model... I'd rather have a Nikon D3s than a new D4 any day!!!)

If you look at the Apple web site it says "The New MacBook Pro", but in looks it's the same as my MacBook Pro... just better, more up-to-date hardware inside than what I'm typing on at the moment.

I've heard they're bringing out the new generation of Intel processors soon, so obviously Apple probably have plans to introduce and implement them very soon as well.

It's a rumour though but I'm willing to wait, not in a big rush.

Edit:

Think they're called the Intel Ivy Bridge processors.