• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bouncy Blue

Pre Match Pubs

In case there already is a topic for this, please paste the link here. What are the best places for a pre match experience and a few beers nowadays? I've only been to the Bridge twice, so I'm having a little trouble knowing where to go when traveling by myself, especially now that the SoBar (or how it's spelled again...) is gone.

I've heard of places around Earl's Court, so is that where I should go on a Wednesday evening/afternoon before kick off?

I appreciate the help!

Chrisb   

In case there already is a topic for this, please paste the link here. What are the best places for a pre match experience and a few beers nowadays? I've only been to the Bridge twice, so I'm having a little trouble knowing where to go when traveling by myself, especially now that the SoBar (or how it's spelled again...) is gone.

I've heard of places around Earl's Court, so is that where I should go on a Wednesday evening/afternoon before kick off?

I appreciate the help!

Try this, it might help!

Pubs near Stamford Bridge - TheChels.info - The Chelsea Football Club Wiki

Chrisb   

Cheers, loads of pubs there. :) Which ones do you recommend personally?

The Imperial on the Kings Rd is good for pre-match drinkies!!

For evening games when maybe time is tighter, there's a couple of pubs in the Earls Court Road just outside the Tube - The Courtfield Arms and further down, The Blackbird. Never too crowded*, can always get a decent ale and a bit of scoff. And it's a very quick scoot back down onto the tube for the two stops to Fulham Broadway. Happy Drinking!

* although for some European games the Courtfield does seem to get unofficially designated an Away fans pub - e.g. Inter last season, and Genk + Napoli this. No trouble, but a little uncomfortable. Have also seen specific Supporters Groups from Man Utd and Liverpool meet there in the past.

I had probably the most expensive bacon & egg sandwich with a coffee and an orange juice at The Blackbird. £10.... For pre match I ended up in the former So Bar. Too crowded and no singing, unfortunately I didn't have time to go to Kings Road anymore then.

Next time I'll choose better.

Finally I'm heading over to London again to watch the Everton match on my winter break from school and work. Any new tips of pubs worth visiting before a Saturday kick off?

Absolutely ecstatic about the trip already!

Can't really help you if it's cooking lager and a bouncy bouncy sing-song you are after - not sure what pubs round Chelsea are like that now.

What I can tell you is that my mates & I personally tried out The Lazy Fox the other night, which is relatively new and quite interesting if you are into trying out loads of different (strong) beers. Apart from normal counter service, there's a Beer Wall, with about 8 different spouts that you help yourself from (paying with a pre-paid card), and I even saw some tables with their own beer pumps! Food was good, but like practically every pub around, it's not cheap. To find it, turn right out of Fulham Broadway tube and keep firmly on the right until you see the Malt House pub in front of you, then turn right down that road (Farm Lane) and it's No.18 - about 10 mins walk. The Malt House used to be the Jolly Maltsters, and fairly notorious, but I don't know what it's like since the makeover, looks decent enough though but almost certainly not how it used to be! Another one we've tried a few times when time was tight is the Elk Bar; big & busy with a hidden "garden" area out the back and SKY TV. My mate reckoned their football special burgers were actually pretty good and reasonably priced, but it does not do ANY draught real ale (only bottled) so we personally avoid it now. That's at 587 Fulham Road, not far from the Malt House. Alternatively, you could get off the tube one stop early, West Brompton, turn left out of there and wander down the road - there's a few pubs that have avoided a poncy tart-up and are full of Chels on match days. Any scousers will probably drink around Earls Court, but they don't seem to like Kensington High Street for some reason...!

Chrisb   

I get off at West Brompton these days and normally head down to the Goose, it has a few decent real ales (London Pride, I.P.A. etc) and a few different Chas and Dave fizzy keg specials. Full of Chelsea and pretty good service. Sky Sports if there's an early game on and it also does food, it's also very cheap compared to other boozers closer to The Bridge.