• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

theo

Chelsea In Action League (War) Cup 1945

theo   

Herewith..

http://film.britishcouncil.org/the-great-game

... is a link to footage of Chelsea in action in the Football League War Cup of 1945 (the tournament held between 1939 and 1945 which aimed to fill the gap created by the cancellation of the FA Cup). There are four Chelsea games - v. Crystal Palace at Stamford Bridge, v. West Ham at White Hart Lane, against Milwall at Wembley and Bolton (including Nat Lofthouse) at Stamford Bridge, There's also a Man U v Bolton game and some other bits.

The games themselves start 6 minutes in to the recording, there's over 20 mins of Footie action. I recommend you download it and watch it offline as it's very glitchy online.

There are many references to Johnny Harris the Captain - is he any relation to Ron and Allan? Also, Wikipedia says there was an attendance of 35,000 at the game against Bolton (2nd of June 1945) but the commentator says 60,000 plus. Looking at the crowd I would go with the second larger figue. What do you think?

Enjoy!

QueSera   

Nice find. Just watching it and notice that early footage of players coaching schoolboys is shot at Stamford Bridge. You cannot mistake the old "North stand" and "East stand"

Great views of the north terrace and the west embankment. Even the Shed at 3:50+

View over people entering the ground through the turnstiles with the Rising Sun (Butchers Hook) in the Fulham Road at 6:30

QueSera   

Wonderful footage of the Chelsea / Bolton North vs South final at the Bridge.

BTW: John Harris isn't related to Allan and Ron

Thanks for posting the link, a really good watch!

Great archive film thanks for posting.

I keep expecting Harry Enfield to pop up somewhere in it : )

QueSera   

Wikipedia says there was an attendance of 35,000 at the game against Bolton (2nd of June 1945) but the commentator says 60,000 plus. Looking at the crowd I would go with the second larger figue. What do you think?

Enjoy!

In my opinion it looks more than 60,000. Such was the way up to modern Health & Safety and turnstiles, it was not unusual to squeeze kids in for free or even slip the turnstile operator a few shilling to jump over. Then there was the practice of the clubs to under declare attendance to save on tax. Often recall in the 60's at the Bridge, the announcement of the attendance being met with laughter and calls of derision