• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nick89

Official: Chelsea Sack Di Matteo

GJH   

:)

OK, let's agree for one second that the board intentionally gave a weak squad to RDM so they could justify firing him later on. (I am trying to control my laughter as I type this, discounting the 32 mn spent on Hazard, 20-25mn spent on Oscar, 7 mn each spent on Moses, Marin and Azpi)

Next step: Why would they want to fire RDM? Do they hate him as a person? Surely there have been ZERO indications of that so far (even if you read between the lines).

Although my feelings are very mixed on the subject, it's not as if I would be the first to suggest he was not their favoured appointment - they did not want to hire him in the first place but did so to save face having just won the Champions League and FA Cup, to appease the supporters (hence the appointment of a clearly unpopular replacement in Benitez) or to prove a point, because they weren't convinced over the previous three months that Di Matteo had what it takes to create and manage the successful and stylish squad they wanted.

Yes - and starting before JM left - Summer 2006. And in particular it has been threadbare up front, 2006 was a season when Jose played 442 with only 3 strikers on the books.

Yes there has been a lot of incompetence at the club for 6 or 7 years. Over 2006-2010 we probably had the best first 11 in Europe, yet by playing so many games (seriously competitive games, not La Liga) with such tiny squads we have constantly disappointed. Especially since post Jose/Grant, we haven't even rotated the players we had.

But who are "they"? I used to blame Frank Arnesen, on the basis that he was Director of Football, and surely so many managers couldn't all be that stupid. So who is it now?

In all this the managers are the accidental victims. But having said that I haven't seen a manager here yet worth his wages since JM (other than Hiddink). Nor have I seen one try to stand up to the board over the squad. The time for that argument was May/June, not November.

The two Americans who 'run' the club backed up by a questionable appointmet whose football CV is written on a fag packet.

Is that some sort of record? Coach of the year award whilst being unemployed....

Good for Robbie. It won't harm his cv that's for sure.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/13/chelsea-still-paying-roberto-di-matteo-130000-week

I fully expect we're still paying Di Matteo and it's exactly for that reason he's still not working, nor speaking to the press.

No way a guy on an initial one year deal as an assistant whose only previous salary increase was a move from a League One to a Championship club would be on a £130k a week though.

Edit: this would make Di Matteo the sixth highest paid manager in world football according to figures the Guardian and Mail (both carrying the Di Matteo story) published themselves last November. I sincerely doubt anyone at either paper believes that to be the case. What kind of eejit would believe a promoted assistant in his third job would be out-earning Fabio Capello at Russia?

paulw66   

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/13/chelsea-still-paying-roberto-di-matteo-130000-week

I fully expect we're still paying Di Matteo and it's exactly for that reason he's still not working, nor speaking to the press.

No way a guy on an initial one year deal as an assistant whose only previous salary increase was a move from a League One to a Championship club would be on a £130k a week though.

Edit: this would make Di Matteo the sixth highest paid manager in world football according to figures the Guardian and Mail (both carrying the Di Matteo story) published themselves last November. I sincerely doubt anyone at either paper believes that to be the case. What kind of eejit would believe a promoted assistant in his third job would be out-earning Fabio Capello at Russia?

He was on a one year deal from last season, so why are we still paying him?

No sense or credence to that and the article has no basis of any truth.

I could quite easily publish an article saying we are still paying (insert ex manager here) and it doesnt make it correct.

He was on a one year deal from last season, so why are we still paying him?

Think the official site announced he had a two year deal in the summer of 2012, although the Daily Mail have run that through their house style guy and had it come out as three years in their coverage.

The fact that he's not taken another job and has spoken only very briefly and quietly in public since his sacking suggests to me that he is still under contract as it were and being paid. I think that may even be standard for us now after being hit with pay outs- vaguely recall Villas-Boas talking about giving up his Chelsea wage when he agreed terms with Spurs, for what that's worth.

A few London-based jobs are in the offing now though- my guess is that Di Matteo's people will soon be negotiating a salary with someone.

It really is inconceivable that he'd be earning £130k a week. Not even here could that possibly be true.

Most of our past managers keep quiet. Except maybe AvB.

Well exactly- most of them have continued being paid well after they've lost their jobs. Most have have had a stronger press presence than Di Matteo though. Just putting his reemergence and the seemingly impending availability of a few London(ish) jobs together ...