• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bluenawaz

Oscar Off To China!

Holymoly   
On 14/12/2016 at 3:26 PM, paulw66 said:

I also read an interesting piece about the South American footballers and how they, because of their upbringing, look to make as much money as possible while they can to try and provide what they can to their impoverished community.

And who wants to get sent to Spurs?

This is quite true and explains why in years gone by so many of them ended up in the Russian and satellite leagues as highly paid foreigners. For many of the South Americans football is purely a means of dragging themselves out of relative poverty. If success and glory follow then fine but it's not the aim. They look at the Chinese league with its empty stadia and overall poor standard and see it as money for old rope...a LOT of money. To be honest if you end up at 50 sipping mint juleps next to the pool on your private island with last year's Miss World by your side I'm guessing it would take the edge off any thoughts of what might have been.

ripz   

£20m a year salary and only 25 yo, the potential amount of money Oscar can make over the next 10 years is incredible. It really does push football into a new era. Hulk is the perfect example, do you choose a career of reputation and fighting with the best or do you choose to make the most money possible in the short career you have. I liked Hulk for a long time and he should have been at a top club in Spain or England at least once during his career but he goes to Zenit St Petersburg and then China. But then you think Oscar could walk away from Football at the age of 35 with a good £200m+ in the bank based on just 10 years of football wages+sponsorship and media/advertising in China. It's mind blowing.

xCELERYx   

Hulk is interesting because he played in Japan prior to joining Porto. Then they sold him for huge money, as they tend to do, to Zenit. At the time I don't think many clubs would have been willing or able to match the fee Zenit paid. From there, it made it more difficult for him to then land at a top club because the money involved. Eventually he landed in China and for a fee of £46.4m. Had he left Porto for a better European side, I doubt he'd be in China now. 

Oscar on the other hand landed with us after leaving Brazil. 5.5 years on and he's struggled to hold down a regular position in the first team and deliver consistent performances. Much like Ramires. To end up in China isn't a surprise. It will end up being a bit of a watering hole for South American players who aren't quite good enough to establish themselves at the top European sides, or have failed in doing so. Top clubs will likely want to recoup a lot of the investment they shown in these sorts of players. Most European sides will be hesitant to spend that money on a player who hasn't quite cut it, while also paying them the hefty wages they'd seek. With that in mind, the options thin out drastically. Run down their contracts and leave on a free, hopefully landing at another top side. Or head to China on more money than they'd ever receive elsewhere. And with the Chinese clubs looking to make statement signings, they're going to be willing to overpay for these sorts of players, making it a no brainer for clubs to take up such offers. 

In ways, China has become what Russia was a few years ago.

Sir   

What a shame. Very mixed feelings about it for many reasons. First and foremost, I'll never forget the Juventus goal. I'm still amazed at some who said 'he never meant that' bull! One of the best goals ever at the bridge I'd say. 

As for the move, it obviously appears very sensible for the club to accept such an offer. Oscar isn't playing much, and the amount of money is pretty ridiculous. Quite how much Oscar can have an opinion on the move I don't actually know. Yes the money is ridiculous for what he can take home each week, but I would imagine this move really is telling RE his career, potentially. Can he say 'I want to stay at Chelsea' or is the move forced on him? I'm not prive to such knowledge on these issues. He's not even at the peak of his career so going to play in China is such a waste.

Why I feel it's a shame is because I was SO excited about his arrival. He clearly is incredibly talented and has a lot of natural ability, but I always somewhat felt he was a bit hindered here for whatever reason, manager, formation, position, players around him etc so in that respect I'm sad to see him go as we never saw the best of him here. Anyway, I'll wish him the best, he always seemed a very down to earth family orientated guy which is always refreshing.

Good luck to him. Had some good spells here.. But never really managed to find consistency. 

I reckon he will play his football there maybe a year or 2 and then go back to Europe. May not be good enough for a top 4 club but he can definitely feature for a mid table club comfortably.

I think it's a shame he never realised his true potential here , he's pretty much been on the periphery for a while now , I've seen him have some games for Brasil where he's been amazing but he's never really done it consistently enough here.

Let's face it , for the money it's a no brainer.

Jasonb   

He got MOTM 9 times and as a squad player I would say that is pretty special.

He also got some vital goals for us including at least one match winning free kick.

I agree he did not fulfil his potential and felt we used him as a work horse to close down the opposition high up the pitch and this caused him to burn-out during the season.

Wish him well.

54 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think it's a shame he never realised his true potential here , he's pretty much been on the periphery for a while now , I've seen him have some games for Brasil where he's been amazing but he's never really done it consistently enough here.

Let's face it , for the money it's a no brainer.

It would be for a 30 year old looking for one final big pay day... for a 25 year old it shows a serious lack of ambition, and maybe just neatly sums up why he never quite made it here.

China recently lost to Syria. Given what's going on in the world, you'd think putting out a football team is pretty low on the list of things Syria wants/needs to do. That's how poor (skills wise) China is. The pitches are awful. Referees are corrupt and not averse to brown envelopes. The league is way below even the low standards of MLS.

It's a bit like a few Sunday league pub teams that play on Hackney Marshes suddenly being able to attract top stars with overblown salaries. That is what Oscar is doing in going to China. Even if he only stays there a season, I can imagine his personal skill set diminishing quite drastically, making it even harder for him to find a decent club in Europe to join... and he certainly won't get the wages!

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

It would be for a 30 year old looking for one final big pay day... for a 25 year old it shows a serious lack of ambition, and maybe just neatly sums up why he never quite made it here.

Not sure where I sit with this line of thinking. Ambition is a very personal and variable value; to many of us mere mortals earning as much money as you possibly can is virtually the definition of ambition. Many of us also aspire to travel, to test ourselves out in drastically different countries, to learn a new language, to somehow 'find' ourselves. For a footballer, a move like this could be about being someone who drags an emerging league up.

Ambition is complex and personal, and I think it's always a bit too convenient (and former-pro-turned-pundit) to say that players making these moves lack it. I think it's a footballing shame because Oscar is a far better footballer than he is given credit for here and certainly far better than 95% of the footballers he is about to play alongside and against. I would personally like to watch him play somewhere more competitive. But that's me, not him.