• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bluenawaz

Oscar Off To China!

8 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Suggest you steam a couple of matches.

League is pure sh*te, the only reason for investment is because the current president likes football and would like to hold the world cup in his country.

You make China sound like the Sheikhdom man. No China has a huge a huge population and football is big business. All the right moves and with the inherent discipline of the Chinese 10 years and they can be on the top. ok may be 15.

But if they are going to pay Tevez 625k/week then something is wrong, unless Tevez is going to work on radioactive land fills part time.

25 minutes ago, earthshine said:

You make China sound like the Sheikhdom man. No China has a huge a huge population and football is big business. All the right moves and with the inherent discipline of the Chinese 10 years and they can be on the top. ok may be 15.

But if they are going to pay Tevez 625k/week then something is wrong, unless Tevez is going to work on radioactive land fills part time.

Only in so far as it's ripe for the gambling industry (and those willing to "fix" events... I read that a ref had been discovered to having taken a bung to fix a coin toss, that's how corrupt it is).

In terms of popularity, football is second only to basketball in China. However, and it's a very big however, if one were to take away the televised games from England, Italy, Spain etc, the Champions League and Europa League games, then it's popularity would be trailing behind basketball, table tennis, badminton and gymnastics. Most teams in their top tier are hundreds, sometimes thousands of miles apart. Away support at games is virtually non-existent. Shanghai (where Oscar is headed) has a population of well over 20 million, dwarfing London and the area within the M25. It has two teams. They get gates of around 20,000. Non-Chinese football is VERY popular as a televised event. The domestic league is only "popular" because top players (mostly Brazilians at the moment) have recently arrived, and it's a bit like a freak show... seeing creatures live that you'd only heard about in commentaries from the other side of the world.

That's not to say it may not get more popular and of a higher standard in time, but for now it is of a very low quality played on poor pitches.

Shame to see him go and even a greater shame we never managed to get his higher levels of performances more consistently. Were a couple of seasons where he was absolutely murdurered by us and the Brazilian NT in terms of games he was expected to complete. He never really looked the same after that. So I blame the club just as much as I blame Oscar. 

Like Sciatika already stated, he wasn't the dud people make him out to have been. The fee is obviously too good to turn down, but some here seem to think £25m is his true value. That's laughable... We won't find a replacement for Oscar under £40m. You can take that to the bank. 

Good luck to him, but as others have said I can't help to think his career is over (just like Ramires).

The negative opinions of Oscar have been a little extreme.  It's already been mentioned about his work alongside Hazard and Mata, but even after that the Hazard, Oscar, Willian trio was a prominent selection and for very good reason.  Unfortunately Oscar, like many other Chelsea players drifted off from their best performances, and has also now found himself in one of the most competitive spots in the Chelsea first XI (to the extent that Willian is regularly seen on the bench now).

There are players that you think what a wasted signing, brought nothing to the club, but Oscar certainly wasn't that and I wish him all the best.  At his age, there is still a chance of a return to European football, but being in China may have taken him off radar.

xCELERYx   
6 minutes ago, StebzAno said:

The negative opinions of Oscar have been a little extreme.  It's already been mentioned about his work alongside Hazard and Mata, but even after that the Hazard, Oscar, Willian trio was a prominent selection and for very good reason.  Unfortunately Oscar, like many other Chelsea players drifted off from their best performances, and has also now found himself in one of the most competitive spots in the Chelsea first XI (to the extent that Willian is regularly seen on the bench now).

There are players that you think what a wasted signing, brought nothing to the club, but Oscar certainly wasn't that and I wish him all the best.  At his age, there is still a chance of a return to European football, but being in China may have taken him off radar.

A little untrue. Most continued to make excuses for Oscar's failure to really deliver on a regular basis. Then he finally got a break and he still never kicked on. Yes, he had his good games, but they simply weren't frequent enough. He was never a reliable player or one that could be counted on. For all the good games he had, you could name two where was completely useless and anonymous. Even after having a position handed to him and all competition for the role removed, he still failed to make the most of it. Competition for spots was never something Oscar had to really handle. Even now, he's simply not getting a game because there just isn't a position suitable for him anymore, while his skill set's are rather limited outside of his work rate for an attacking player. 

That Juventus game was the worst thing to happen to him. People raised their expectations and he never had that sort of ability long term, particularly as an elite #10. At our level, he's a squad player. And that's largely the position he held.

Good luck to him, but it's a move that benefits us going forward if we're able to bring a more suitable player in for our needs.

27 minutes ago, zaffo said:

A little untrue. Most continued to make excuses for Oscar's failure to really deliver on a regular basis. Then he finally got a break and he still never kicked on. Yes, he had his good games, but they simply weren't frequent enough. He was never a reliable player or one that could be counted on. For all the good games he had, you could name two where was completely useless and anonymous. Even after having a position handed to him and all competition for the role removed, he still failed to make the most of it. Competition for spots was never something Oscar had to really handle. Even now, he's simply not getting a game because there just isn't a position suitable for him anymore, while his skill set's are rather limited outside of his work rate for an attacking player. 

That Juventus game was the worst thing to happen to him. People raised their expectations and he never had that sort of ability long term, particularly as an elite #10. At our level, he's a squad player. And that's largely the position he held.

Good luck to him, but it's a move that benefits us going forward if we're able to bring a more suitable player in for our needs.

The criticism that would 'grind my gears' (yes I'm a family guy fan), is the knee jerk reaction during match day of he's absolute rubbish, get him out the squad now, when he hardly gets a run to settle into.  Off-loading him for the sake of it was never an option in my opinion but certainly if the right deal came along his relative redundancy makes a lucrative offer difficult to turn down.  At least you are able to say he had some good games, something we shouldn't dismiss.  I felt he still had potential and could've played a similar role as Pedro, but he has now been off the field so much and, particularly against the current team players, had no chance of getting back on.

Oscar had enough time 200+ games. Looks like he wanted something different something more Spanish. Unfortunate but he just wasn't up to it. Both him and Lucas Piazon who many will argue never got his chance. But there is a reason; 5 years on loan well travelled approx. 800-1million/year salary, God knows how many managers still no serious recommendations or buyers.

Oscar is never going to get this much money; 400+k/week is impossible to refuse for a player of his quality. I wouldn't be surprised if DL follows suit, at least he is getting on a bit. What I would be very careful about are the contracts and clauses. I do hope they have very good lawyers, and the CAS laws remain applicable.

xCELERYx   
8 hours ago, StebzAno said:

The criticism that would 'grind my gears' (yes I'm a family guy fan), is the knee jerk reaction during match day of he's absolute rubbish, get him out the squad now, when he hardly gets a run to settle into.  Off-loading him for the sake of it was never an option in my opinion but certainly if the right deal came along his relative redundancy makes a lucrative offer difficult to turn down.  At least you are able to say he had some good games, something we shouldn't dismiss.  I felt he still had potential and could've played a similar role as Pedro, but he has now been off the field so much and, particularly against the current team players, had no chance of getting back on.

I've held my stance on Oscar for many years, never believed he was as good as many tried to make him out to be. I'd have sold him two seasons ago, and he was lucky to survive this summer - seemingly down to Conte's original desire to play 424. Once that was scrapped though he was never going to get back into the side. He's not efficient or strong enough with the ball to play CM, and not quick and potent enough to play one of the more advanced AM roles. Doesn't leave him with a spot. If he wasn't sold now, I feel he would have been offloaded in the summer anyway. He's become a redundant player for us in a 352/343. 

He's been here for 4.5 years and played over 200+ games, he's had his chance and simply failed to grasp any opportunity he's been given to cement himself in the first team. Hell, he was essentially handed the #10 position on a silver platter and still couldn't capitalise. Say's it all really. 

Agreed, and yes it's his man on man strength which makes me doubt he'll come back to the prem.  By the way, by lack of time, I was referring to post-season-2015/16.  All players had to re-prove themselves for a spot in Conte's first XI plus 7, clearly now those spots have been filled, and he is indeed a redundancy.