• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paul Mcgoochan

Great Sporting Moments

Ok, as everyone is in the dumps after Christmas, I thought I'd start a new topic of 'Sporting Moments' that have struck a chord. Be it funny,dramatic or whatever.

I would prefer none Chelsea as we have a section for that already,but for starters I have chosen this one, which still,after all these years, makes me cry with laughter.

Jonners and Aggers - Need I say more?

394905-afl-grand-final.jpg

In a picture, the 2010 AFL grand final. Finished as a draw, meaning that the game had to be replayed the next week. 186 games played that year, for 2 draws, so that's how rare they are. Teams, fans, spectators, commentators... No one could believe it. I was at a mates place, and we were all going crazy; then we realised, we were all coming back the next weekend! The crowd was recorded at just over 100,000 people as well, which was the biggest crowd since the 86 final.

Unfortunately, the next weekend was a blow out and Collingwood won 108 to 52.

Final few minutes if you can be bothered:

Ah,the infamous under arm. Shamed all that cricket stood for that day. As for Lomu, that clip says it all. The AFL, what a tough sport that is. Loved watching that on tv here. On the rare occasions that it was shown.

Flinkers   

Was in the crowd that day as a youngster - didn't really know what happened but knew that wasn't the right thing to have done. The fact that it was the last ball of the game with 6 needed to draw, against the No. 10 batsman made it all the worse. He's a coward, a cheat and no amount of self-justification on his part will ever change my mind on that.

That was also the day my abiding hatred of John Wright was born - went autograph hunting after the game and knocked on the NZ changing room door. Wright answered and after I had asked for his and Hadlee's autographs, he told me to f*** off and slammed the door in my face. His anger in the circumstances was understandable, but that sort of stuff sticks in the mind of an 8 year old hoping to meet his heroes.

Lomu and Cullen were monsters for the All Blacks around that time. Lomu was a freak of nature and that match against England defines him. The final against South Africa was a disappointment but the way ythey gang tackled him out of the game was a fantastic piece of collective defending and smart tactics by Christie.

Cullen is easily the most skillful player I've see live and in full flow. Just a shame it all fell apart for him under Jon Mitchell.

Not too sure about that.

Nah,just ****ing BIG! But he sure was a good rugby player and not the big lump ala William 'The Fridge' Perry.

Enormous giant with incredible muscles followed by kidney/liver blood disorder. Haven't we seen these things so often in football, sports, cycling, Abidal at Barcelona...

Enormous giant with incredible muscles followed by kidney/liver blood disorder. Haven't we seen these things so often in football, sports, cycling, Abidal at Barcelona...

You're not hinting at some sort of foul play by any chance,are you? It would surprise me though. My son plays rugby for an U15 team and one of the oppo teams (won't say which) give their players protein shakes,at 14!!! Ask any body builder/power lifter and they will say it's a big no no. It's the start of a slippery slope.

This still makes me smile; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JziXi_NS3YY