• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Richard Redmond

Frank Lampard Breaks Chelsea's All Time Scoring Record (#210)

Frank Lampard's last season with the club can see him eclipse Bobby Tambling's 43 year old Chelsea goal scoring record of 202 careeer goals for this club. Such a feat would be simply outstanding. Whilst acknowledging that players play more games nowadays and that both fitness and medical provision are vastly superior to what they were a half century ago, the fact that Frank has always played in midfield, and not as a striker, is sensational.

Frank is a Chelsea legend, in the true sense. We can do our part to help him reach and pass the record by our continued efforts to cheer and encourage him on to the record at every game he plays in during 2013. Frank deserves the record and we deserve to be able to crown him as our best ever goal scorer and, to put it simply, to acknowledge him as one of the finest box-to-box midfielders ever to have graced the English game.

The stats currently are (after Southampton away in the FA Cup 3rd Round) :

All-time top goalscorers - Competitive, professional matches only

1 Bobby Tambling 1959–1970 202
2 Kerry Dixon 1983–1992 193
2 Frank Lampard 2001–2013 193
4 Didier Drogba 2004–2012 157
5 Roy Bentley 1948–1956 150
5 Peter Osgood 1964–1974 & 1978–1979 150

Note re Appearances :

Frank is also in line to take over 3rd place in the all time appearances stakes this season. Competitive, professional matches only

1 Ron Harris 1961–1980 795
2 Peter Bonetti 1959–1979 729
3 John Hollins 1963–1975 & 1983–1984 593
4 Frank Lampard 2001–2013 577
5 John Terry 1998– ? 557
6 Dennis Wise 1990–2001 445
7 Steve Clarke 1987–1998 421
8 Kerry Dixon 1983–1992 420
9 Eddie McCreadie 1962–1974 410
10 John Bumstead 1976–1991 409

I invite others to update the goal scoring stat with a fresh post each time Frank finds the net.

Sir   

As long as he takes every free kick, every penalty, shoots every time from 40 yards... Oh wait? :P just kidding! Yeah he'll break the all time record, I imagine. Some players don't care about records, they care more for the team, but you can tell Frank blatant is desperate for the record, which is fair enough. Just hope this record isn't detrimental to the team, like rather than shooting from 40 yards, a through ball to another player to score is more suffice. If he breaks the record, though, then fair enough. I'm not bothered either way, particularly. Each player in those lists have done incredible things for the football club as it is.

I think he will do it, although if he has to do it by the end of this season it will be a push.

I was there on Saturday behind the goal when he put the 193 penalty away and it really was a special moment, he celebrated right in front of where we were stood and it was fantastic.

Hopefully I will be there when he gets to 202 and 203.

I have been counting this down since he got to about 150 lol

JM7   

Do people think he will do it? 9 goals before the end of the season seems like abit of a push. Lets hope he can bang a few goals in the Europa league against the smaller teams!

As long as he takes every free kick, every penalty, shoots every time from 40 yards... Oh wait? :P just kidding! Yeah he'll break the all time record, I imagine. Some players don't care about records, they care more for the team, but you can tell Frank blatantly is desperate for the record, which is fair enough. Just hope this record isn't detriment to the team, like rather than shooting from 40 yards, a through ball to another player to score is more suffice. If he breaks the record, though, then fair enough. I'm not bothered either way, particularly. Each player in those lists have done incredible things for the football club as it is.

Haha. I know I've been on your back regarding Lamps but come on. This post is a tad out of order. The only players I've seen shoot from 40 yards over the last couple of seasons are Luiz and Ivanovic... And it's quite interesting that despite Lamps only caring for himself scoring and never passing to a teammate in a bette position he's recorded the highest ever number of assists in the Premier League. That's weird don't you think?

Anyhow, back on topic. Great thread Richard! I've been counting down to this record since we won the league in 2006. Back then I didn't think he could reach it but by 2009 I was absolutely certain he would.

Now I unfortunately think the clubs decision to not renew his contract will be the deciding factor. Another 10 goals will be a tall order - even for Frank. He'll be close, really close. I'd wager he'll end up on 198-200 goals before his contract runs out this summer.

Sad. I'm desperate for him to break it. No on deserves it more than him. Top lad and a true Chelsea great. No wonder the fans love him (well most of us atleast!) For me personally I'd take great pride in having been "there" for his whole stay with us and being able to see so many of his goals live. A story to tell the grandkids no doubt.

Come on Frank. Make it happen! If he does break it I'll celebrate it like it was me who broke the record...

Arsenal got massive presscoverage when Ian Wright broke Cliff Bastin's long standing record and then again when Henry took the bar even higher. We have a player approaching an amazing milestone, but our club doesn't seem to value history in the making. I hope Lampard gets those ten goals and puts the icing on his Chelsea cake before the decision makers slam the door in his face in May.

Scooba   

Really hope he does it. Lets say he plays Europa league, cups and mabye half remaining league games he has more than enough opportunity. Just 4 penalties and 5 goals from open play and its done! Come on frank!!!