cc1173

Jose Mourinho (Leaves For The Second Time)

11,662 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

JM on joining Man Utd:

"It is what I call a giant club. And giant clubs must be for the best managers and I think I am ready for it, so I could say I am happy, I am proud, I am honoured."

The circus has only just begun..........:).

That was just the first of many one liners fed to be taken out of context. He knows what he's doing.

Mourinho: "I prefer to forget the last three years. I prefer to focus on the giant club I have in my hands now." - While he was referring to the last 3 years at United, He knows exactly what he's doing. He's had plenty of time to craft this interview this was a carefully chosen innuendo aimed at ingratiating himself with the mancs.

41 minutes ago, OzzyCFC said:

He's had plenty of time to craft this interview this was a carefully chosen innuendo aimed at ingratiating himself with the mancs.

What would you expect? Call them out as a bunch of northern monkeys? Unless he comes out with an out and out attack on us I couldn't care less what he says, it's all part of the same game.

What is far more important is how well or not he gets Utd going. I fear and expect the former.

1 hour ago, earthshine said:

Well to be fair Droy has been on this case for about the same time. He accurately predicted JM to replace Fergie, and in hindsight it was a done deal, if around the same time Roman didn't start going soft on him iirc

Thansk for the support but I think he was just teasing  because of my mis-type of 2103 instead of 2013.

It's understandable that Mourinho going to United creates strong emotional responses from our fans.

But all this talk of "one of us"... Maybe he once was one of us, maybe he's never been. Fact is we sacked him twice so we can't really begrudge him going anywhere. I can't really blame him for endearing himself to his new fans either, with all this "mythical club" talk and what not - it's part of what he needs to do to be successful in his new job. 

Fact is while I'll always love him for what he's done with us I wouldn't take him back over Conte now - it's just too much acrimony and conflict for me. 

So I say, let them have him with the good and the bad - we have our own stuff to worry about

I can see pro's and con's to his appointment at Utd. Clearly, he is a brilliant manager a his very best. I fully expect him to be a wounded animal with something to prove and that makes him dangerous but also slightly vulnerable I think. 

Vulnerable because that hunger to win could actually make him even more intense, added to this the strong rivalry with Pep as a neighbour. I think this opens up a strong possibility of the usual crash and burn after 2/3 seasons, especially if Pep proves out to be more succesful than him, let alone what Conte achieves here.

He clearly improves them,but he will need a huge chunk of money to get them competing closely for the league in my opinion. He also has to factor in the PL is as good as it's ever been now with the likes of Liverpool and Tottenham looking as strong now as ever before, whilst we are a complete wildcard for next season imo. The usual suspect will be there too, so he is going to have to buy very well I believe and I think his record is mixed on this front, but most managers have mixed records on transfers to be fair.

I don't see him winning the league next season and suspect his second season is when he will be a real threat, if he has learned from his mistakes (does he believe he made any?) then he will be formidable opposition. Personally, I think the rivalry he has near by and the level of other top PL clubs at present leads me to expect his CV to mirror what it has in the last few years. I expect some level of success, before he ramps the intensity to fever pitch and things to crumble after 3/4 seasons, especially if we do well (no idea there!) but more so if Pep does come in and makes a huge impact at City.

Edited by Zoowraa

23 minutes ago, Zoowraa said:

. I think this opens up a strong possibility of the usual crash and burn after 2/3 seasons,

Repeat the standard abuse to anyone who thinks this crash and burn bullshit has any merit.  It is just an insult to your intelligence and everyone else's.

You think it's bullshit because that's what you want to believe. Jose has managed 5 clubs and been succesful at all of them, the two clubs where things didn't fall apart he achieved greatness in winning the CL with both of them. However, if we are being honest and objective about his time at both Porto and Inter, it's safe to say the level of strong competition in their respective domestic leagues at that time was simply not there. Yes, things did not fall apart and crash and burn there at those clubs, but he was a god at both with little to threaten his team's week in week out.

His time here twice have crashed and burned and his time at Madrid was also crashing and burning, players were not happy with him and things were unraveling . He was very succesful at both Chelsea and Madrid, but the theme running through these three jobs is strong competition and high expectations. Clubs with lesser expectations and lesser competition, he arguably overachieved and left a god, clubs where the job is tougher with more competition, he has proven to be succesful but things have fallen apart after three seasons.

This is his toughest job yet in my opinion and in a time when the competition is as high as it's ever been. He has all the ability in the world to succeed at it, but I also fully expect his time there will follow the pattern of Chelsea twice and Madrid once.

it don't mean he ain't great at what he does, because he clearly is, it just means there are more flaws in his make up than many will admit too.

4 hours ago, GURJ SS said:

FB_IMG_1464434887003.jpg

Funnily enough, when I saw the ManU snap, I had a similar thought: he looks like he's holding a bag of dog poo...