cc1173

Jose Mourinho (Leaves For The Second Time)

11,907 posts in this topic

A quick aside - this rule about the winners of the Europa League getting into the CL. Something is not right about it.

If you are reigning champions of your country, but having a bad year domestically (e.g. like us last year), you have to beat Real, Barca and Bayern to qualify for the following year's competition, as you are currently in the CL.

If you finished 5th or 6th last year and are having another terrible year domestically (e.g. like Utd this year), you have to beat FC Quarabag, Zorya Luhansk and FC Rostov to qualify for the following year's CL, as you are currently in the Europa League.

Doesnt quite add up somehow. The more consistently worse you are, the more likely you are to qualify.

17 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

A quick aside - this rule about the winners of the Europa League getting into the CL. Something is not right about it.

If you are reigning champions of your country, but having a bad year domestically (e.g. like us last year), you have to beat Real, Barca and Bayern to qualify for the following year's competition, as you are currently in the CL.

If you finished 5th or 6th last year and are having another terrible year domestically (e.g. like Utd this year), you have to beat FC Quarabag, Zorya Luhansk and FC Rostov to qualify for the following year's CL, as you are currently in the Europa League.

Doesnt quite add up somehow. The more consistently worse you are, the more likely you are to qualify.

I take your point but they are trying to incentivise teams to go all out for the Europa, as previously big teams would put out weak sides and concentrate on trying to get top 4 (or 3) in their own domestic league

11 hours ago, McCreadie said:

Not to piss on Manure's parade but are those actually places or have you made them up? 

😉

Utd played 2 of those teams this year on their way to CL qualification. I find it incredible that the Europa League is still able to turn up a raft of teams every year that I have never heard of.

Not exactly Red Star Belgrade, Steaua Bucharest or Hajduk Split are they?

can't wait for Jose to lose to Ajax and have nothing.

RE CL I would love to see it being exactly that, a Champions league, and by that I mean being only the Prem, FA cup and League cup and by definition Europa league winners. Would rejuvenate all our competitions.

What would happen next year when we win three of them. 😂

2 hours ago, exiledblue said:

can't wait for Jose to lose to Ajax and have nothing.

RE CL I would love to see it being exactly that, a Champions league, and by that I mean being only the Prem, FA cup and League cup and by definition Europa league winners. Would rejuvenate all our competitions.

Absolutely hate this idea. We want the best teams in Europe in the competition.

Or we could have Portsmouth Swansea Birmingham and Wigan. Excuse me if that sounds a bit arrogant, but I dont see the sense in convoluting a mechanism to get some worse teams involved.

I could be persuaded to go back to the "Champions Only" policy, but to be honest that is a bit flawed too - League champions are often NOT the best team in their league the following season.

Surely it is time for this subject to go to non Chelsea forums?...Whatever the merits of discussing Man U and it's manager are they no longer really have a place in the Chelsea forum.  At some level it is almost an insult to our current manager's achievements.

I know in the past there have been ,maybe, justifications for keeping it here but now?

1 person likes this

'I think ultimately Jose has built two great sides at Chelsea,' Neville told Sky Sports, ahead of Chelsea's match with Watford on Monday night. 

'[Carlo] Ancelotti and Conte have profited - managed them brilliantly - but profited off the back of those two championship-winning teams.'

100% agree.

Jose built the 2005-2012 team. Carlo did simply manage that team brilliantly. Not many changes. 

This team...not so sure. AVB bought Cahill and Courtois. Di Matteo bought Hazard, Moses and Dave.

Conte bought Luiz, Kante and Alonso. He invigorated Moses (and the whole squad, to be honest), and brought in the tactical formation we have now, rebuilt the team spirit and got them fit and motivated - our team now is Conte's team. He's taken players brought in by other managers, or discarded by other managers (Moses for example) and improved all of them, without fail.  He got rid of Mikel and Oscar, who were Mourinho stalwarts. Zouma looks like he's going too. 

Jose brought in Costa, Pedro, Willian, Fabregas, and Matic of this squad, and had a rigid 4-2-3-1

Conte hasn't just managed a Jose team well. He's changed tactics, added key players, and got them fitter and better motivated than ever, and better organised defensively. It's a different team altogether, with his unique stamp on it. 

Edited by James Prescott