• Current Donation Goals

cc1173

Jose Mourinho Sacked For The Second Time by Chelsea. Joins Manchester United. And now sacked by them too!

Zoowraa   
1 hour ago, fillerywhereru said:

To be honest I totally accept that Mourinho is not everyones cup of tea, his persona and the style of football that his teams tend to play. However what cannot be in dispute is his track record,he has succeeded to varying degrees wherever he has gone. To suggest that his return to Chelsea was not a success is plain ridiculous, yes when he left we were in a hole but he won two trophies and we reached the knockout phase in the champions league and further in that time.

Its fine not to like him or cautious football but don't kid yourself re how successful the man is and he has just taken over a young squad who have just won their first trophy...that's a worry for the rest of us.

I agree with most of this. Except the bit about the young squad he has inherited, I think this presents him some potential issues as I don't believe he wants a young squad . The last thing JM wants going into this new role is the emergence and explosion of Rashford, I am convinced he would much rather have this job without the likes of Rashford, Mensah, Borthwick Jackson breaking through.

I don't think anyone is expecting these players to be playing week in week out, but I fully expect their progression to stall under Jose and this will become a talking point if they have an indifferent start and these players are getting little game time.

I think Jose is more a here and now manager and that's partly why he is so succesful. I would be very surprised to see these young lads featuring a great deal and fully expect expensive and experienced recruits in to bolster the squad. It's probably what Utd as a club actually need to compete, but it's probably not what these young players need.

That's a fair point regarding the youth but some of that squad are now a bit older Rooney , Smalling, Blind etc and he likes to work with that sort of player (though perhaps he will prefer blind as a left back/wingback. I think he's taken on a squad that might well step up a level this season now that they have won something as a squad. Two or three good signings and that's a serious challenger especially given the current state of the competition (ie in flux)

cam4blue   

Can you imagine the recriminations if Januzaj failed to make the grade here? Or Morrison? Or Pogba or Pique? We'd still be banging on about it here, and you know the scouts who found those players would be in Roman's ear, "oh my boys, they never get the chances they deserve". 

The only one that even remotely bothers Utd fans in Pogba, and that's because he left for nowt and is worth the best part of £100m. 

Our obsession with youth (as fans, and as a club) is just bizarre. We won the league and we were whining about how only one 19-20 year old was a first team regular. We won the league and we were whining about how we only played outstanding attacking football for half a season. And you know those opinions are reflected at the higher levels of our club too. Both our last two league wins we have let a bunch of senior players go and forced a group of kids onto the manager at the same time as saying "must do better". 

If Utd win the league, and only one 19-20 year old is a first team regular, I think they'd be cool with that. If Utd win their first league title in 4 years, they'll look to make a statement in the transfer market that they want to go to the next level; not fiddle around half-heartedly late in the window and promote a bunch of kids. 

Our obsession with youth is becoming an albatross. 

14 hours ago, r.bartlett said:

I question loyalties when some fans put their favourite above the club. This thread is an obvious example as it gets more posts than the new manager. 

r.bartlett:

Posts in Mourinho thread in 2016: 30. 

Posts in Conte thread: 0. 

Batman-Chin-Rub.gif

• Like 1

paulw66   
14 minutes ago, cam4blue said:

Our obsession with youth (as fans, and as a club) is just bizarre.

I wouldn't say bizarre. For whatever reason, fans love to see youth talent come through. Fans see a youth product as "one of their own" as the Harry Kane song goes. For Spurs it is Kane, for Liverpool it was Gerrard / Carragher and for Chelsea it is JT. 

The fact we have a ridiculously good academy and zero on the field to show for it is for frustrating to a lot of people. 

This season has been the worst of both worlds. 10th place finish and barely a youth product selected even when the majority of seniors were playing abysmally. 

cam4blue   
19 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I wouldn't say bizarre.

Nope. Bizarre is the word. 

It's well beyond "wouldn't it be nice to have a young player from the academy come through".

It's at the point where we are actually dissatisfied with our first title win in 4 years because only one 19-20 year old is a regular in the first team. It's a full blown obsession, not just for uber-nerd youth football fans, but for the club. 

paulw66   
7 minutes ago, cam4blue said:

It's well beyond "wouldn't it be nice to have a young player from the academy come through".

It's at the point where we are actually dissatisfied with our first title win in 4 years because only one 19-20 year old is a regular in the first team. It's a full blown obsession, not just for uber-nerd youth football fans, but for the club. 

Well, I am not sure that (bold part) is the truth. The big problem this season is that we did neither. (win or play youth)

I'm all for bringing through youth players, but only if they are good enough, RLC is a good example where he's come in and so far is a mixed bag. Next season he may push on and become a solid member of the squad, on the other hand he may continue to fade after a strong half hour and become a fringe player. Rather that than suffer getting overrun in midfield because he doesn't work hard enough (for instance).

Many people quote that we have won the youth cups a lot recently but there is a massive difference in that level and the highly intense premier league week in week out. Just take our FA Cup win V City where several promising youth players were well beaten by a first team who were improved but certainly not on top form.

Zoowraa   
1 hour ago, cam4blue said:

To be fair, it's not without any foundation whatsoever . Look at what we have won at youth level in the last 5 years. No team can match that, yet other teams manage to bring players through.

At the same time, that level of success at youth level does not automatically transfer to making the grade at Chelsea. I don't think the majority of fans who go on about youth want the likes of RLC starting 30 PL games, just featuring similar to how he did under Hiddink. Using RLC as an example, the talent is there, but I also agree with others who question his fitness , which for one reason or another seems short of being able to play 90mins at PL level.

Players like RLC and Ake are two prime examples of players who we should be looking to break through next season and I will be disappointed if they cannot get 20 odd starts in all competitions. Unless, they are given a chance and perform very moderately when they do play over a run of appearances. That looks an unlikely scenario though, we are not going to become a weaker team by integrating these two players based on what we have seen of them.