• Current Donation Goals

cc1173

Jose Mourinho Sacked For The Second Time by Chelsea. Joins Manchester United. And now sacked by them too!

xCELERYx   

It would be a brave group of senior players who knocked on JMs door and said they had some ideas on tactics and formations.

Jose has complete and utter trust in his own judgment. Sometimes that's a useful quality and sometimes it's restrictive. I have mentioned this before but I think Jose lacks a Steve Clarke type as his number 2. Someone who is a Chelsea man and has played the game at a high level. Someone who is not afraid to offer ideas and even criticisms/observations of JMs tactics . Someone who can talk to players at their level , listen to grievances and act as a buffer between head coach and player. Someone he can trust. He looks a pretty lonely guy at the moment .

No doubt, not that I'm saying that particular situation needs to happen.

That's a fair point to make though. I don't think there is quite the connection between staff and players like there once was. That additional perspective and voice to help bridge the gap and address these sorts of matters in a more indirect manner could be useful.

The crucial thing is that the considerable majority of fans still realise that Jose is easily the best man for the job and any replacement would be a massive step down in quality. What this season has made clear is that a worrying number of players in the squad do not have the long term desire, mental toughness to be capable of being worthy of wearing the shirt or playing for Jose. The best possible course of action for the board to take now is to back Jose to the hilt in the January transfer window and dispose of the players (Ivanovic, Fabregas, Oscar and Costa) that have shown they are not fit to play for the club. If we get rid of Jose, I confidently predict that next season, he will be lifting the CL with either PSG or Real and we will be struggling to get into the Europa League, whereas with Jose and a half-decent squad that actually care, we could challenge for the title.

You do realise that two of the players you want to get rid of were players specifically targeted and bought by José and you want the board to back him to the hilt with more money???

The crucial thing is that the considerable majority of fans still realise that Jose is easily the best man for the job and any replacement would be a massive step down in quality. What this season has made clear is that a worrying number of players in the squad do not have the long term desire, mental toughness to be capable of being worthy of wearing the shirt or playing for Jose. The best possible course of action for the board to take now is to back Jose to the hilt in the January transfer window and dispose of the players (Ivanovic, Fabregas, Oscar and Costa) that have shown they are not fit to play for the club. If we get rid of Jose, I confidently predict that next season, he will be lifting the CL with either PSG or Real and we will be struggling to get into the Europa League, whereas with Jose and a half-decent squad that actually care, we could challenge for the title.

Jose is arguably the best manager in the world, but I'd put Pep Guardiola in the same class, given his record. This is the myth which really annoys me, that Jose is the only manager ever, in all time and space, in all of history, who can ever win any major trophies with this club, and that somehow his past record and love for this club immunes him from any criticism, or from the sack under any circumstances.

There are other managers with similar quality - Pep and Simeone, to name two. No one has Jose's charisma, his love of this club, his personality, which we all love him for, and his track record - and use them all as reasons we should keep him when we've been in relegation form for 5 months with no sign of any change - but he's not the only world class manager out there.

We just think he is, because he's been here 50% of the time since Roman was here and won us the league for the first time in 50 years, returned us to the top, because he is a top manager who came here just at the right time, and because we love his charisma, personality and style, because he's one of us and because of his track record. Many of us have emotional connections with Jose so losing him is grieving process.

I love Jose, and totally want him to stay. But ultimately Jose isn't bigger than the club. No one is. I really do get the sense that some fans would rather see us get relegated under Jose, than stay up without him.

Hiring Pep or Simeone wouldn't be a step down in quality. Give them a big budget and carte blanche to rebuild this squad, clear out the dead wood, and bring in their own players, and they would win us major trophies, without doubt.

And by the way, the reason we won't be in Europe next season is partly Jose's responsibility. Jose's. He is the manager, so even if he is sacked now, our position is such that a major reason things won't work out this season will be him, because he was manager when we got into this mess. Is he immune from criticism for that? He shouldn't be, because just about any other manager would be getting hammered for it. It doesn't make him a bad manager - all managers have bad periods in their career - but he is partially responsible, he has got it wrong, he has performed poorly and been tactically outsmarted several times. But he will come again, either here or somewhere else, because he is a world class manager.

And yes, Jose would inevitably win things somewhere else - but so would we win things without him. This is Chelsea FC not Mourinho FC, and some fans really need to get on board with that concept.

Edited by James Prescott

It would be a brave group of senior players who knocked on JMs door and said they had some ideas on tactics and formations.

Jose has complete and utter trust in his own judgment. Sometimes that's a useful quality and sometimes it's restrictive. I have mentioned this before but I think Jose lacks a Steve Clarke type as his number 2. Someone who is a Chelsea man and has played the game at a high level. Someone who is not afraid to offer ideas and even criticisms/observations of JMs tactics . Someone who can talk to players at their level , listen to grievances and act as a buffer between head coach and player. Someone he can trust. He looks a pretty lonely guy at the moment .

And who decided to surround himself with "yes" men in the first place?

So Fabregas says some players need to roll there sleeves up. Whoopydoo.

Revelation of the century.

Would he be allowed to say there was disharmony in the dressing room?

Like I said, not even worth talking about

Of course it's all Joses fault, sorry. zzzzzz

Russ   

Yet he's quite clearly shown he's not the man for the ' long term ' job, so no he's not the best man for what the club needs.

He's peerless at generating short term gain, but at every point inducing long term disharmony in the process. The players and their performance you mention and I don't disagree with you, are purely a side effect of his style.

He lays waste and burns bridges, which is fine if you can splash out on new players all the time. We can't nor should we. We have our league title as he achieved what it says on the JM tin. However there is always a price to pay.

He might well be lifting trophies at RM or PSG. Why? Because he would of had another chance to start his short term cycle of boom and bust.

I'll support him if he stays - I like a lot about him and I'm very thankful for the success on his watch, but he needs to change if our club structure is to flourish.

Edited by Russ

Is the cycle of boom bust an established fact then? He won a cup double and came second here in season 3 and won a trophy at Madrid that season? Its an idea cooked up by the media that seems to have become an established fact almost overnight.

Zoowraa   

Yet he's quite clearly shown he's not the man for the ' long term ' job, so no he's not the best man for what the club needs.

He's peerless at generating short term gain, but at every point inducing long term disharmony in the process. The players and their performance you mention and I don't disagree with you, are purely a side effect of his style.

He lays waste and burns bridges, which is fine if you can splash out on new players all the time. We can't nor should we. We have our league title as he achieved what it says on the JM tin. However there is always a price to pay.

He might well be lifting trophies at RM or PSG. Why? Because he would of had another chance to start his short term cycle of boom and bust.

I'll support him if he stays - I like a lot about him and I'm very thankful for the success on his watch, but he needs to change if our club structure is to flourish.

I think you have nailed my thoughts exactly here. If he is replaced, I dont doubt for one minute he will find another top job and win more trophies. However, I will be very interested to follow that club closely and see what the price is for that success.

If he goes, I really hope his next job is not PSG as I dont believe it will tell us a great deal more about him than we already know. They will walk the league, he will use a wider group of players as he will expect he can get away with it in that league and he will basically have no domestic challenger. CL will be the only barometer he can be judged on really.

I'm ok with the idea of Jose setting down a long term foundation at Chelsea for future seasons, but as you say, he has to change his ways and I am not sure he is prepared to do that or can do that. His whole style of management is here and now and has a limited lifespan of success.