cc1173

Jose Mourinho Sacked For The Second Time by Chelsea. Joins Manchester United.

11,943 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

1.  Yes.  It's not really up for discussion is it.   2. Joke. 3.  14/15, 04 to 07.  Essien Lampard.

07. Essien Lampard

What does that even mean? If you're gonna post a counter argument at least post in clear and complete sentences.

8 hours ago, Kezza said:

You honestly thinks Conte's Chelsea play defensive football? 

Personally I think it's more that a lot of people have pretty stupid, reductive ideas about what defensive football is because they're surrounded by press coverage and Arsenal/Liverpool/United mates who they can't be bothered to stand up to. There's no doubt that we play a low block, deep, counter-attacking style that most football fans would call defensive if talking about a side other than the one they support.

Forget 'defensive' for a second ... We really, really clearly aren't playing balls-to-the-wall attacking football under Conte and we really clearly did do that at several points in Mourinho's times here. That is not offered as a criticism, nor praise, of one or the other, simply an observation. We may play another way at some time under Conte. It may be more or less successful.

25 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Personally I think it's more that a lot of people have pretty stupid, reductive ideas about what defensive football is because they're surrounded by press coverage and Arsenal/Liverpool/United mates who they can't be bothered to stand up to. There's no doubt that we play a low block, deep, counter-attacking style that most football fans would call defensive if talking about a side other than the one they support.

Forget 'defensive' for a second ... We really, really clearly aren't playing balls-to-the-wall attacking football under Conte and we really clearly did do that at several points in Mourinho's times here. That is not offered as a criticism, nor praise, of one or the other, simply an observation. We may play another way at some time under Conte. It may be more or less successful.

I see a side that always want to pass the ball quickly, one touch passing to keep the ball and always looking to score goals. Not defend in numbers behind the ball and absorb the pressure kind of mentality. Energetic off the ball running and real intention to hurt the opposition collectively Not static dependence on a few individual players to do some magic. Thats attacking football.

Edited by Kezza

33 minutes ago, Kezza said:

I see a side that always want to pass the ball quickly, one touch passing to keep the ball and always looking to score goals. Not defend in numbers behind the ball and absorb the pressure kind of mentality. Energetic off the ball running and real intention to hurt the opposition collectively Not static dependence on a few individual players to do some magic. Thats attacking football.

My thoughts too. We're no longer the slow and static side we once were. The majority on here pissed and moaned often about how painfully slow our attacking play was, how slow we moved the ball forward, the lack of width and movement in the final third. Conte has come in and all these areas are no longer problems for us. We move the ball with purpose, we stretch the play and provide our front 3 with room to move, the players actually move off the ball, make runs in behind which are now being rewarded, and we're creating better chances for ourselves overall. Defensively we're still incredibly solid, organised, and we're able to absorb pressure when needed while still remaining potent on the counter to really hurt sides. 

Overall, we play more as a cohesive team than we've done for a very long time.

10 minutes ago, zaffo said:

My thoughts too. We're no longer the slow and static side we once were. The majority on here pissed and moaned often about how painfully slow our attacking play was, how slow we moved the ball forward, the lack of width and movement in the final third. Conte has come in and all these areas are no longer problems for us. We move the ball with purpose, we stretch the play and provide our front 3 with room to move, the players actually move off the ball, make runs in behind which are now being rewarded, and we're creating better chances for ourselves overall. Defensively we're still incredibly solid, organised, and we're able to absorb pressure when needed while still remaining potent on the counter to really hurt sides. 

I think you misunderstand; if DWMH says we're playing defensive football, then we are playing defensive football. As Droy himself says, "It's not really up for discussion is it?"

As for the rest of us, I think we can see the difference in style to agree that we are, on the whole, playing with greater attacking intent.

29 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I think you misunderstand; if DWMH says we're playing defensive football, then we are playing defensive football. As Droy himself says, "It's not really up for discussion is it?"

As for the rest of us, I think we can see the difference in style to agree that we are, on the whole, playing with greater attacking intent.

My bad, I should know better. I blame having Droy on ignore for missing this memo...

1 hour ago, zaffo said:

My bad, I should know better. I blame having Droy on ignore for missing this memo...

He's doing a great job considering he's working the velour fog with his foot at the same time.

Jose have a pop at us for our defensive stability recently as though it were some kind of negative. He taught us everything we know!

8 hours ago, zaffo said:

This is a bit of a gross simplification. If you play quick transition football with a few runners being given space, it not hard to find the space to do something. 

We have played that style under Jose for the majority of the 5.5 seasons he was here. Anyone claiming otherwise has either not paid much attention or have an agenda. It is also true, that we did play a slow static brand of football for maybe 1.5 season out of those 5.5 seasons under Jose. Whether that was due to tactics or the squads inability to keep that high press football up for an extended period is anyone's guess. 

I don't think we played defensive football under Jose. We did for selected games but as a whole no. 

I don't think we are playing a defensive brand of football under Conte either. Just a lower press but still with quick transitions as the main outlet. 

The pressing game for me is the biggest difference. That and how the managers come across in the public eye. 

3 hours ago, Richard Redmond said:

Jose have a pop at us for our defensive stability recently as though it were some kind of negative. He taught us everything we know!

It wasn't aimed as a slight at Chelsea. It was clearly aimed at the press and with good reason.