cc1173

Jose Mourinho Sacked For The Second Time by Chelsea. Joins Manchester United.

11,943 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Hugh Jars 99 said:

2015/16 we used 24 players - hence 24 options.

2016/17 we have used (to date) 20 players - hence 20 options. I don't care what age they are they're all "options" to me. And with everything that I know to be true, 24 is more than 20.

Ah, the ol' squad size comparison debate :-)   Haven't seen that one for at least, I don't know, 24 hours?

Many a poster has identified comparable numbers as you Hugh, proven their working out in great detail and arrived at the same conclusions.  Even when you compare players actually used instead of players available it's the same result.  But you're facing something akin to the below.

6 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

It's just sad that people are getting stuck up on how the media portrays them. Great example, at no stage this season have we played as brilliantly as we did from August 2015 to February 2016. Well, not quite true... A few weeks in October would qualify (Man U 4-0, Everyon 5-0 for example). But generally we've played a rather defensive and cautious style heavily dependent on counter attacks yet it's blown up as some sort of fanciful attacking football. I'm sorry, not buying that for a second.

Well said and very true.

I see Hugh Jars has made reference to "the stats" regarding United's goal to game ratio compared to ours.. Stats are very misleading.

Under Jose we were a team that took the initiative and pressed teams and attempted to get a lead.

There were times almost week in week out when we absolutely hammered teams and only won maybe 2-0 or even 1-0.  United are looking more and more like how we used to look on a weekly basis and the difference you get in the level of praise from the media for them is quite alarming. All of a sudden Jose plays attacking football!

On the flip side, Conte's current team is often NOT a side that aims to press or hammer teams, but he is a much more affable sort of guy and because of that he winds up getting a whole lot of praise. 

People will also blame Jose for last year when our players seemed to decide not to perform. I can't and wont hold that against Jose... For me that is all on the players. 

A lot of praise for Conte's chelsea but I'm not so sure how this team compares to any of Mourinho's title winning teams or even Ancelotti's to be honest.

Edited by Blue_In_Every_Way

6 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

1)His interviews are inane, where he says the obvious like an Italian schoolboy just happy to string grammatical sentences together in English, meaningless or not.  

2) His behaviour on the touchline is childish.  It is not style, it comes across as just a total lack of character.  

1) Hugely unfair. He only learned to speak English in the past year. Aguero, Costa etc still talking in Spanish when interviewed. 

2) Enthusiasm. How's that a bad thing?  Seen Jose embarrass himself on the touchline plenty of times.  

" His behaviour on the touchline is childish.  It is not style, it comes across as just a total lack of character.  "  What?!! Surely that's a misquote Ham, Surely!  Amongst the obvious, it's 'his behaviour on the touchline' that gets him a lot of praise from many many fans, particularly when he celebrates goals with them.  I've seen countless clips and meme's celebrating this character.

25 minutes ago, StebzAno said:

" His behaviour on the touchline is childish.  It is not style, it comes across as just a total lack of character.  "  What?!! Surely that's a misquote Ham, Surely!  Amongst the obvious, it's 'his behaviour on the touchline' that gets him a lot of praise from many many fans, particularly when he celebrates goals with them.  I've seen countless clips and meme's celebrating this character.

I agree with you Stebz.  I was responding to Droy.  They were his comments.  

My guess is that Droy loved it when Jose ran up the touchline at Anfield kissing the badge for us or at Old Trafford with Porto.  

7 hours ago, zaffo said:

Wasn't going to respond in this thread again, however...

What we discussed wasn't made up, it was an opinion... "and opinions are like arses and all that". 

We don't have to agree with each other, but it's a little rich to call it bs because you don't agree. I'm not the only one who has grown tired of JM over the years and his ways, nor will I be the last. Give me Conte's style every day of the week. I wanted him here many years ago, and always said as such if he was to ever leave Juventus a the time. I know the sort of manager he is, the way he works, and what he's about. I've shared this with many here and often have explained exactly as it has been since he joined. May his good work continue and in the manner we've seen thus far. What JM does, or doesn't do these days, I could care little about. He isn't our problem anymore. Not that you'd know by the way he's continuously discussed on here.

It seems you are mixing up your opinions of the man and what he actually does. If I tell you the sun is black chances are you are going to call my 'opinion' bs. It's not up for discussion, there's no difference of opinion to be had. It's a fact that I'm wrong to say the sun is black. 

Have opinions on style sure. But don't have opinions on something that's so easily proven to be incorrect and hide behind how you feel of the man. Then just say you dislike him and leave it at that. No need to make up reasons that aren't real.

3 hours ago, Ham said:

My guess is that Droy loved it when Jose ran up the touchline at Anfield kissing the badge for us or at Old Trafford with Porto.

Of course I did.  In part because that piece of emotion meant something to someone who can keep themselves reasonably still for 89 minutes.  Had it done it the first time we won a throw-in I might have tired of it quickly.

1990s style Ranieri in interviews, a modern Klopp on the touchline.  If you think that is style, all I can say is that style must be a very subjective quality for you.

Edited by Droy was my hero

5 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

If you think that is style, all I can say is that style must be a very subjective quality for you.

As opposed to say, you? And your version of 'style' - i.e., anything that JM does/says, etc., etc.. Here's a tip - everyone's definition of 'style' is subjective. And these forums are full of it, coming from just about every known perspective.

Frankly couldn't care what he does on the touchline provided the results keep coming. He might be a touch juvenile, but that's his boyish charm I guess. And Droy, I don't often take issue with you, but style is subjective. When it is objective, it is called either fashion or imitation.

On another, but associated topic, the BBC reports: "Manchester United "will be in trouble" in April and May if they continue to progress in the Europa League and the FA Cup, says manager Jose Mourinho.".

Here's hoping we help get them out of at least some of their troubles. Up the Blues.

17 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

As opposed to say, you? And your version of 'style' - I.e., anything that JM does/says, etc., etc.. Here's a tip - everyone's definition of 'style' is subjective. And these forums are full of it, coming from just about every known perspective.

Of course - which is why I took issue with a definitive statement of Conte having style in the first place.

But you are suggesting that different people have different tastes and like different thins randomly.  That does not describe the forum at all.  These "subjective" comments aren't random at all.  They all come from pre-judging JM or the players.  The love-in for Conte is based on either anti-JM prejudices or anti-player (traitors) prejudices.  It pre-dated Conte's first game, pre-dated the dreadful zero press, and pre-dated the proper press, the good run of form and our climbing to the top of the table.  It is based on false judgements (lead largely by the press) on last season.

And this faulty judgement affects everything.  A jumping buffoon on the touchline is stylish, as is the man with nothing to say to the press.  A squad where 5 under 21s get pressed into service is deeper than one where they are not needed.  There is a rationale why Alonso is the perfect blueprint of a WB, and so is Moses.  There is even an explanation why Fabregas should not be picked.

Call it subjective random opinion if you like.  I think it is something else.