• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CostaTheBlue

Ashes 2013

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which team will win the Ashes 2013?

It's just over three weeks until the first test of another Ashes series, the most important series in cricket.

England go in as favourites, but I don't like how some people think we only have to turn up to win. I've got this awful feeling that Australia are going to play a lot better than people think, and if Anderson keeps bowling badly, it won't look good for us.

What does everyone else think?

Can a moderator please move this to the General Sport section if possible. I posted it in the wrong section.

It's just over three weeks until the first test of another Ashes series, the most important series in cricket.

England go in as favourites, but I don't like how some people think we only have to turn up to win. I've got this awful feeling that Australia are going to play a lot better than people think, and if Anderson keeps bowling badly, it won't look good for us.

What does everyone else think?

Can a moderator please move this to the General Sport section if possible. I posted it in the wrong section.

I see you know as little about cricket as you do about football. I'm just surprised you haven't claimed Torres will score a century.

Honestly, there is no reason to be worried. This could very well be a 5-0 drubbing to you guys, and then the same on our turf, I am that passimistic.

Our only form batsmen coming into the series is Clarke who has carried us through the past few series. Warner, Watson, Hughes all can't make runs to save themselves and players like Cowan and Rogers aren't going to win a series off their own bat. If you can knock over Clarke cheaply, it really will be a big struggle for us. I am quite happy though that Haddin has been brought back into the team, probably our second most 'in form' batsmen even though hasn't played all that much test cricket recently.

And our bowling while solid in Aus, probably won't be up to scratch in England. Stark is our only true swing bowler (I can't remember if Hilfenhaus is in the squad) and he is very young and injury prone. Siddle and Pattinson are fantastic workers but I really don't think that England will suit them at all, they both love a bit of bounce and pace in the wicket.

And don't get me started on Nathan Lyon as a spinning option, hopefully our Pakistan recruit (I think its Ahmed, not sure though(?)) can secure a place in the team and take a few wickets.

So yeah, pretty pessimistic haha.

Honestly, there is no reason to be worried. This could very well be a 5-0 drubbing to you guys, and then the same on our turf, I am that passimistic.

Our only form batsmen coming into the series is Clarke who has carried us through the past few series. Warner, Watson, Hughes all can't make runs to save themselves and players like Cowan and Rogers aren't going to win a series off their own bat. If you can knock over Clarke cheaply, it really will be a big struggle for us. I am quite happy though that Haddin has been brought back into the team, probably our second most 'in form' batsmen even though hasn't played all that much test cricket recently.

And our bowling while solid in Aus, probably won't be up to scratch in England. Stark is our only true swing bowler (I can't remember if Hilfenhaus is in the squad) and he is very young and injury prone. Siddle and Pattinson are fantastic workers but I really don't think that England will suit them at all, they both love a bit of bounce and pace in the wicket.

And don't get me started on Nathan Lyon as a spinning option, hopefully our Pakistan recruit (I think its Ahmed, not sure though(?)) can secure a place in the team and take a few wickets.

So yeah, pretty pessimistic haha.

It's probably the weakest Aussie team since WSC decimated the 1977 touring side. Having said that, no matter how weak an Aussie side may be perceived to be, they will fight for every run and every wicket, so while I think England will win the series by a comfortable margin, most Tests will be well contested affairs.

Your Pakistani batsman is Usman Khawaja, not Ahmed. All I know about him is that he played a few times for Derbyshire a couple of seasons ago... and no Hilfenhaus in the squad.

Australia always manage to raise their game for The Ashes,but I can't see them dominating the series,maybe the odd innings. IMO, the biggest factor will be the weather,which could turn the match into a draw.

2,maybe 3 wins to England,1 to Australia and 1 or 2 to the weather.

But a White-Wash would be highly amusing.

It's probably the weakest Aussie team since WSC decimated the 1977 touring side. Having said that, no matter how weak an Aussie side may be perceived to be, they will fight for every run and every wicket, so while I think England will win the series by a comfortable margin, most Tests will be well contested affairs.

Your Pakistani batsman is Usman Khawaja, not Ahmed. All I know about him is that he played a few times for Derbyshire a couple of seasons ago... and no Hilfenhaus in the squad.

I was actually referring to a refugee that has come to Australia and played a bit of state cricket, he performed very well, leg spinner. The aus government fast tracked his citizenship in time for the first ashes test, so hopefully he will be in the team and can take a few. There is a lot of good things being said about him.

Edit: he's certainly not young though, would be in his thirties I think

And so it starts. Like I said,the Aussies raise their game. But one Swallow doesn't make a summer.

Terrible batting from England. This series is going to be much tougher than people think.

The Aussies at 24-3 are faring no better!!! And that really poor bowler you keep mentioning... what's his name... Anderson, that's it... guess what? He just bowled what could well be the delivery of the season to dismiss Clarke for 0

Torres to score a century, no doubt!

I think it was Aggers and the groundsman who said before the start that the wicket may favour the bowlers and as it starts to break up, the spin bowlers as well.