• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Harvz

Van Ginkel

Stim   

Perhaps we are going to play 10 in midfield next year

Maybe we can, I dunno, rotate them instead of playing 50 games a season.

Baffling how some people are opposed to squad depth.

Sir   

Very pleased for this signing, the kid looks a real talent! Already a full Dutch international as well, albeit the 1 cap.

Is it just me, or has he got a bit of VDV about him?

Haven't seen him loads, mind, but he's got pretty good technique, can pass, can tackle, can shoot, can score! All round little player. Be interesting how he develops and the type of position/player he becomes.

On top of his footballing abilities, he has great mobility, strength and stamina. Usually that's a problem for players coming outside of England to the PL. I don't think he'll have to adjust too much in that aspect. Obviously the pace of the game and quality of football is on a whole different level than Vitesse, so I'm looking forward how he's going to handle that.

I really don't see how so many people can keep saying that we have loads of midfielders and MVG won't get game time. I saw various people commenting on the bbc about it first, today SSN were saying he's going to have to compete with 14 players to play and then included Mata, Hazard, Schurrle ect. and then even Kakuta and Josh. You may as well add Torres and Cech to that list because he is not competing with the vast majority of those on the list. I could understand maybe including Oscar or KDB but Mata, Hazard and Schurrle? The fact is he is competing with, at the moment, Lampard, Mikel, Ramires and Romeu for two spots. Thats including Romeu who has just come off a long term injury and is no longer U21 so will most probably be loaned out. Lampard who is 34 and Ramires who played 60 games last season. In my honest opinion we are still one midfielder short. Some people may argue Essien but I think he is finished as a midfielder and I can't really foresee him competing with MVG and would be very surprised if he was anything but an emergency back up.

Sir   

Any pieces online from Dutch football experts or anything?

I really don't see how so many people can keep saying that we have loads of midfielders and MVG won't get game time. I saw various people commenting on the bbc about it first, today SSN were saying he's going to have to compete with 14 players to play and then included Mata, Hazard, Schurrle ect. and then even Kakuta and Josh. You may as well add Torres and Cech to that list because he is not competing with the vast majority of those on the list. I could understand maybe including Oscar or KDB but Mata, Hazard and Schurrle? The fact is he is competing with, at the moment, Lampard, Mikel, Ramires and Romeu for two spots. Thats including Romeu who has just come off a long term injury and is no longer U21 so will most probably be loaned out. Lampard who is 34 and Ramires who played 60 games last season. In my honest opinion we are still one midfielder short. Some people may argue Essien but I think he is finished as a midfielder and I can't really foresee him competing with MVG and would be very surprised if he was anything but an emergency back up.

I could understand people saying that Essien was finished if he was just coming back from a loan at QPR or something, but he was at Real Madrid and he played a fair few games. He might not be first choice anymore but if he can do a job for them, then surely he can do a job for us in certain games?

The rest of your post was pretty valid though.

Welcome to MVG though (thought we'd signed Michael Van Gerwen!) and lets hope we look back in a few years and think, "Wow, what a steal he was for £9m"

Another squad addition. I'll be pretty honest, I'm feeling pretty good about our chances next season. Squad depth wrecked us last season.. We've already added Schurrle, Van Ginkel, De Bruyne and possibly Lukaku as well.

4 potentially very useful players. Now we need a GK option though. That has to be a priority. Midfield looks reasonably good: Lampard, Mikel, Ramires, Van Ginkel, De Bruyne, and Essien. Ideally, I'd love to see us revert to a midfield 3, but then we'll need 1 more option. I dont really count Romeu because, well, he's not up to the standard IMO.

I could understand people saying that Essien was finished if he was just coming back from a loan at QPR or something, but he was at Real Madrid and he played a fair few games. He might not be first choice anymore but if he can do a job for them, then surely he can do a job for us in certain games?

The rest of your post was pretty valid though.

Welcome to MVG though (thought we'd signed Michael Van Gerwen!) and lets hope we look back in a few years and think, "Wow, what a steal he was for £9m"

Valid point, I'm not sure on the exact figures but I watched a fair bit of Madrid and he was at RB every time I saw him. Did a good job there but I'm really not convinced with him as a midfielder and neither it seems was Jose last season. His complete loss of any pace leaves him far too immobile and without his physicality his technical abilities are not good enough. He will be a good back up right back and a last resort CM in my opinion.

In his prime he was near enough my favorite player and it kills me every time I see Yaya steamroller midfields the way the Bison used to. He just isn't that player anymore although we absolutely crying out for the Essien that we signed from Lyon. That late equalizer against Arsenal when he was playing RB was simply majestic.