• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Give Eto'o £150K/Week?

Torres is rumoured to be on £175K and it hurts every day to think about that.

No, Rooney or bust. I agree with Mourinho.

I can understand why some are totally against Eto'o, he is 5 years older then Rooney and has played in Russia so he might not be quite match fit. However he has been been one of the best strikers in Europe, an if we got him for £10M it ain't bad at all. Also about his wages, if he wants to play for Jose that badly then he will take a wage cut, an to be honest if we offered him half his wages an he accepted then at least we will know we are getting a player who is loyal to Jose. I know many have their hearts set on Rooney, but as his price goes higher the Eto'o option looks the more appealing. As long as the wages are halved an his asking price is about £10M max.

If Rooney does come, great, but he needs to take a wage cut, don't want him on a 5 year deal at quarter of a million pound a week.

I changed and under-lined your post. Sorry, but a younger squad and player is needed more than a fading star on huge money.

Holymoly   

well I didn't say that the info was from my source did I?

This is starting to sound like All The President's Men. Admit it. Your "source" just works in the club shop doesn't he?

Eto'o = Shevchenko MkII

It would be a completely different signing. At 5-10 million, Eto'o is far more low risk. Whilst wages may well prove a sticking point, I doubt there's any assumption in the club that he would be anything more than a 1-2 year signing depending on performance levels.

I'd personally rather we sign Eto'o as somewhat of a stop-gap than had paid way over the odds for a player like Cavani. He'd surely have to take a pay cut though.

Although I confess I have no idea how good Eto'o still is...

Assuming that the top 10 strikers in the World are unavailable to us and that we already have one of the better young striking prospects, I think we will have to go with what we have this season and see how it pans out... Not much point buying another young unproven tadpole. Things could be a lot worse.

Unfortunately the Rooney deal most probably will come down to two not unrelated factors:

1) United's failure to add real quality to the squad that will adequately replace Rooney.

2) United's unwillingness to show weakness in the face of adversity from a rival club.

If Moyes could bring in a marquee signing like Fabregas or Ronaldo you'd feel the Rooney deal was ours, as that type of player would be seen as a step-up from an unhappy Rooney. Equally, If they'd gone down the City route and invested heavily in a number of close-to-proven players from abroad, they could argue for a changing of the guard. Numbers talk, which is why City are seen as such a big threat this season.

What I fear may happen is Moyes may secure a few squad players, ala Fellaini and Baines, and the club may feel that keeping Rooney may (for the above two reasons) be unavoidable.

Edited by Max Fowler

Holymoly   

It would be a completely different signing. At 5-10 million, Eto'o is far more low risk. Whilst wages may well prove a sticking point, I doubt there's any assumption in the club that he would be anything more than a 1-2 year signing depending on performance levels.

I'd personally rather we sign Eto'o as somewhat of a stop-gap than had paid way over the odds for a player like Cavani. He'd surely have to take a pay cut though.

Although I confess I have no idea how good Eto'o still is...

He's also a few years older than Shevchenko was when he signed...

ripz   

Eto'o is on about £300,000 a week I think, but not sure, either way £150,000 a week isn't bad for a player of that profile.

Any higher it's best avoided.

I wasn't comparing him to Drogba, I was comparing how a players age doesn't really come into it once the fee is around £10M.

Yes Drogba is still good, but in Turkey now, so I would be wary about him coming back as he won't be match fit enough to play games week in week out. Eto'o is not rubbish, his just having a holiday from football, doesn't mean his finished. He has done well wherever he has played, I wouldn't mind him taking Ba's place anyway.

so you would buy Eto'o for £10m and give him £150k a week at the age of 32? now I know you are insane, either that or just incredibly stupid.