• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

If it were me, I'd only let Lampard and Cole leave if I knew for a fact I could replace them with home grown players of a requisite standard.

A bit like looking at tea leaves, but Fabregas's alleged availability has been reported as fact by more conservative players (the BBC, for example) at the exact same time news of a Lampard move has ...

GURJ SS   

I don't think it is about wanting Fabregas. If we needed a player of his mould and I had a choice, I would take Isco. But we hardly ever want a player, we were all divided about wanting Matic back. Truth is we all knew at the time that we needed Matic, same goes for Fabregas. At this present time, we need him.

Midfield is in a mess. Matic, Ramires, Mikel and MvG. LB is in a mess. CF is in a mess.

Reckon Jose will do well to sort all of that out this summer. Wouldn't at all be surprised to see us struggling to compete next year as well now.

Midfield is in a mess. Matic, Ramires, Mikel and MvG. LB is in a mess. CF is in a mess.

Reckon Jose will do well to sort all of that out this summer. Wouldn't at all be surprised to see us struggling to compete next year as well now.

'As well'? As well as when? The season just gone? We competed, and we competed strongly. Four points off the winners, and only really out of the race with two or three weeks to go. There was no struggle to compete.

LB is far from being in a mess. It's understocked, but as things stand our young, seemingly improving first-choice left back is here and looking here for the long term.

In midfield, we've lost a soon to be 36 year old whose appearances were winding down.

Up front ... I agree, but same as it ever was.

Confirmed transfer dealings up to and including 31 August are what count, not what appears to have happened by 1 June.

I'm playing devil's advocate here for those who don't want the club to sign Shaw, Barkley or any other English born player purely because of the inflated prices...

In 2001 Frank Lampard cost Chelsea £11m. At the time I remember many Chelsea fans being less than enthusiastic about him signing, yet we now have a thread elsewhere containing eulogies to his time at Stamford Bridge. So before you all say, so-and-so isn't good enough to play for Chelsea, many people were saying exactly the same things about Lampard in June 2001.

Taking inflation into account, that £11m is a little under £16m today. Lampard was 23 years old at the time. Can anyone seriously suggest that if he were 23 now his price would only be £16m? A player of his then calibre and then potential would be around £25m+ today

The need for club/association trained players in squads, FFP, TV money and myriad other reasons mean many players cost considerably more now than the same player would have cost 10 or more years ago.

If we use Luke Shaw as an example, is £27-30m really too much, given we might end up paying around £20m for a 29 year old who has never played in the Premiership?

I'm not at all advocating a "buy any English player" policy... for example, I believe Lallana is ideally suited at a club like Southampton but he's not good enough for a genuine top 4 club playing in the Champions league year in year out, such as ourselves. However, I think players such as Shaw and Barkley are worth a gamble, because even if they don't quite make it with us (and from a personal point of view, I think they would make it with us and go on to do great things), they would still have plenty of re-sale value.

Edited by Bob Singleton

Jay Seal   

I'm playing devil's advocate here for those who don't want the club to sign Shaw, Barkley or any other English born player purely because of the inflated prices...

In 2001 Frank Lampard cost Chelsea £11m. At the time I remember many Chelsea fans being less than enthusiastic about him signing, yet we now have a thread elsewhere containing eulogies to his time at Stamford Bridge. So before you all say, so-and-so isn't good enough to play for Chelsea, many people were saying exactly the same things about Lampard in June 2001.

Taking inflation into account, that £11m is a little under £16m today. Lampard was 23 years old at the time. Can anyone seriously suggest that if he were 23 now his price would only be £16m? A player of his then calibre and then potential would be around £25m+ today

The need for club/association trained players in squads, FFP, TV money and myriad other reasons mean many players cost considerably more now than the same player would have cost 10 or more years ago.

If we use Luke Shaw as an example, is £27-30m really too much, given we might end up paying around £20m for a 29 year old who has never played in the Premiership?

I haven't seen a recent one but there have been tables of football price inflation around and as you can imagine they don't bear any resemblance to RPI based inflation figures. 11m back then would probably work out considerably more than 25m, let alone 16m.

Barkley would be the more interesting at the prices mooted, getting players further up the pitch who can operate near a sort of optimal level for their position is just very difficult so a premium can be justified. For me, at least, Shaw wouldn't be worth the money because as we've seen recently you really can great quality further back for much less.

There is a slight problem with applying principles on the basis of Lampard's career as well - he has been a complete anomaly since arrival. No one I can think of has done what he's done for us so consistently anywhere, ever. Might be wishful thinking to suppose any current targets will.

Edited by Jay Seal

Barkley and Shaw are not particularly standout performers in what is the weakest England side in recent memory. I don't see any reason to move for them at the prices quoted. If we're going to spend that much money on someone English, I'd rather get someone who actually improves the side. Why blow our budget on players that are most likely going to be back-ups?

At the moment, we're better of playing foreigners and filling up the back-up roles with cheaper English talent. Preferably our own youth...

cam4blue   

Barkley and Shaw are not particularly standout performers in what is the weakest England side in recent memory. I don't see any reason to move for them at the prices quoted. If we're going to spend that much money on someone English, I'd rather get someone who actually improves the side. Why blow our budget on players that are most likely going to be back-ups?

At the moment, we're better of playing foreigners and filling up the back-up roles with cheaper English talent. Preferably our own youth...

TBH Lampard (to go back to Bob's example) wasn't a standout performer in the England side when he joined. He was barely in it. In terms of immediate quality, he wasn't even better than who he was replacing in the Chelsea team/squad (Poyet) and he barely got a run in central midfield (spending a lot of his first season on the wings).

That instance of gambling big on a promising Englishman over a cheaper foreign import who would have made a greater immediate impact paid off for us (although that is obviously not evidence that it would be replicated).

Ando   

I don't think it is about wanting Fabregas. If we needed a player of his mould and I had a choice, I would take Isco. But we hardly ever want a player, we were all divided about wanting Matic back. Truth is we all knew at the time that we needed Matic, same goes for Fabregas. At this present time, we need him.

Isco isn't in the same mould of Fabregas... Isco is a pure number 10 whilst Fabregas is naturally a number 8.

Agree that signing him would be exactly what the doctor ordered though.