• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

GURJ SS   

I changed and under-lined your post. Sorry, but a younger squad and player is needed more than a fading star on huge money.

One problem, Rooney is 28 by the end of the year, so his not exactly young. A 5 year contract on about £250,000+ an a transfer fee of £30M+ is a massive financial commitment, would rather have a short term plan and see Torres, Lukaku and Ba/Eto'o while looking for a 23-24 year old quality striker to sign up fr 5 years on a lower wage.

hanuma   

I wish I could've as confident as you.

However, I can't believe that Man Utd would relent after stating so many times that they aren't selling. I understand its a game of bluff, double bluff and counter-bluff, but to sell would make Utd, and Moyes in particular, look incredibly weak and would make such a transfer twice as damaging as just selling a few weeks ago.

That said, their dealings so far in this post-Fergie era have appeared shambolic and amateurish so I guess anything is possible.

I don't understand this concept of "weakness" for selling a player that doesn't want to play for you. You've got an asset that's gone rotten and you need to monetize it. It looks far, far weaker to me for them to be so petrified of letting him go that they'd rather have him sat on their bench than playing for someone else. A "strong" club and manager would say, OK, he wants to leave, no big deal, we'll get a replacement and be the better team without him.

GURJ SS   

so you would buy Eto'o for £10m and give him £150k a week at the age of 32? now I know you are insane, either that or just incredibly stupid.

Can you please simply disagree and say you don't understand the point of view, an keep the insults out of your post. Well at least when replying to me as I can't talk for others. Thanks.

United are in for Eto'o? And they want to keep Rooney as well, so Van Persie, Rooney, Eto'o, Hernandez, Zaha and the other one (can't believe I've forgotten his name!) will be their strikers?

Yeah, right. If they sign Eto'o it surely means Rooney is coming. They can deny it all they want, but if that signing happens Rooney is gone, and he will almost certainly hand on a transfer request. You could even call it constructive dismissal.

Only a rumour right now though...

And a very tenuous one too. Can you seriously see United buying Eto'o any more than us buying him? The guy wants out from Russia and his agents/PR people are doing all they can to make it look like there is interest in him in order to create interest in him. The fact is only another club with stupidly rich owners (we're rich, but not stupid) would consider Eto'o at his age and on his wages

Eto'o will not be playing anywhere in the Premier League this season... either for us or United. Rooney will stay at United. Our strike force, at least until the new year, and probably until the end of the season, will be Lukaku, Ba and Torres.

I'm just surprised that people still think Rooney is moving to us. This has nothing to do with what any papers may have written, either in the last 24 hours or the last 24 days, or indeed the last 24 months. This is a conclusion I arrived at of my own accord quite a while back... United will NOT sell a valuable commodity (such as Rooney) to a direct rival. It would be deemed as a tilt in the balance of power in English football that they know would do them commercial harm as well as strengthening a rival on the field whilst weakening themselves.

The sensible ones here laugh at the reports that, for example, Mata will be sold, because they know those reports are either wishful thinking on the part of a journalist/newspaper with an agenda (such as a Barcelona based and pro Barcelona paper writing stories about Luiz ready to ask Chelsea to allow him to move to Barca) or just some idiot "reporter" filling space and looking for the most tenuous threads on which to hang a big juicy story that will increase the hits on that paper's website (thereby making the advertisers happy). Rooney to Chelsea, in spite of Rooney's obvious unhappiness, the way he seems to have been ostracised recently etc., is just as preposterous as Mata to Barca.

It seems some people are confusing the Eto'o of old with the Eto'o who effectively ended his career by signing for Anzhi. I would have serious doubts over his motivation levels during the season.

Because as we always hear from every player that comes from most abroad countries, that it takes time to adjust to the premier league because its more physically demanding. Zhirkov and Arshavin both mentioned this. Just going on what players normally say, unless they are wrong.

OK, I see what you're saying but I'd have put the greater amount of physicality permitted by our referees under a different heading than match fitness.

It'd be interesting to see bleep test results for players from around the world. I'd bet a lot of money that there would not be a glut of UK players at the top. Certainly I felt we've been pretty thoroughly out run by a number of sides in recent years. Juve and Shaktar come to mind.

Edited by Bridgejunky

why are you all worried about the money anyway, it's not your money - it's Roman's. If he can afford to throw it at the guy then let him

Here we go again. For the umpteenth time, no it's NOT Romans money. It's the clubs money. The club generates £300m+/year. Not Roman.

That Roman has chosen to cover for the losses he is responsible for is another matter completely.

Ynot   

And a very tenuous one too. Can you seriously see United buying Eto'o any more than us buying him? The guy wants out from Russia and his agents/PR people are doing all they can to make it look like there is interest in him in order to create interest in him. The fact is only another club with stupidly rich owners (we're rich, but not stupid) would consider Eto'o at his age and on his wages

Eto'o will not be playing anywhere in the Premier League this season... either for us or United. Rooney will stay at United. Our strike force, at least until the new year, and probably until the end of the season, will be Lukaku, Ba and Torres.

I'm just surprised that people still think Rooney is moving to us. This has nothing to do with what any papers may have written, either in the last 24 hours or the last 24 days, or indeed the last 24 months. This is a conclusion I arrived at of my own accord quite a while back... United will NOT sell a valuable commodity (such as Rooney) to a direct rival. It would be deemed as a tilt in the balance of power in English football that they know would do them commercial harm as well as strengthening a rival on the field whilst weakening themselves.

The sensible ones here laugh at the reports that, for example, Mata will be sold, because they know those reports are either wishful thinking on the part of a journalist/newspaper with an agenda (such as a Barcelona based and pro Barcelona paper writing stories about Luiz ready to ask Chelsea to allow him to move to Barca) or just some idiot "reporter" filling space and looking for the most tenuous threads on which to hang a big juicy story that will increase the hits on that paper's website (thereby making the advertisers happy). Rooney to Chelsea, in spite of Rooney's obvious unhappiness, the way he seems to have been ostracised recently etc., is just as preposterous as Mata to Barca.

Nice to find someone on here with a brain Bob.

Eto'o wants out, no one wants him though. Simple. He's not coming to Chelsea end of. Chelsea won't give more than a one year contract extensions to current first team players. Why would they go and spend £10 million for a 32 year old for a year to sit on the bench? Exactly!

I'd still like to be more optermistic on Rooney. Utd's biggest commercial asset is probably Rooney, they can't be seen to sell him without bringing in a big big signing (especially to one of their biggest rivals). And no one wants to go and play for them this year.

A lot of there fans seem to think Ronaldo is going back there, I can't see it myself but if he does then they may let him leave. The only other way is if he hands in a transfer request, refuses to play etc... But his agent isn't going to let him do that.

paulw66   

Before questioning the brain power of the members of this forum, I would suggest checking your spelling and grammar.

Eto'o wants out, no one wants him though. Simple. He's not coming to Chelsea end of. Chelsea won't give more than a one year contract extensions to current first team players. Why would they go and spend £10 million for a 32 year old for a year to sit on the bench? Exactly!

I'd still like to be more optermistic on Rooney. Utd's biggest commercial asset is probably Rooney, they can't be seen to sell him without bringing in a big big signing (especially to one of their biggest rivals). And no one wants to go and play for them this year.

A lot of there fans seem to think Ronaldo is going back there, I can't see it myself but if he does then they may let him leave. The only other way is if he hands in a transfer request, refuses to play etc... But his agent isn't going to let him do that.

The fee quoted is £5million and that is what we were seemingly ready to spend on Ruddy. I'm not saying this is the perfect deal but Eto'o for 1 or 2 years whilst Lukaku is not quite ready to lead us for 60 games doesn't sound too bad to me. Yes he is on ridiculous wages but from what I have read he got payed all of his wages up front when he joined Anzhi and I would've thought an offer of anywhere between £80-100,000 a week would be quite attractive to him. What I am saying is it is a while since he last got paid if reports are true and if we can get him on a two year contract I would definitely trust Jose as it is a player he knows very well. Over 60 games ideally Lukaku would start 30 and get 15-20 sub appearances, that leaves 30 starts between Torres and Ba including big games and bear in mind that when Lukaku is struggling from time to time they will have to make a difference. I am not convinced at all with either of them to do this. This is why Rooney is perfect and why Eto'o doesn't sound like a bad option to me. Last season Lukaku only made 34 appearances total and I don't have the stats to hand but from memory around 20 were starts. With this information I would say that my predictions for ideal Lukaku appearances are pretty good and this is why any signing in my opinion will not stall his development.