• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

The fact we got a draw against what was at that point arguably the best team in Europe was hugely impressive.

Not an argument I'd waste much time on.

They finished 8 points behind Dortmund in the Bundesliga. They were well short of being one of the top European teams back then.

A year later - yes - best team in Europe is a reasonable shout.

Going back to Ancelotti - his first year we barely improved* and got lucky to win the CL with enough points to give us a chance.

The following season, 10/11, was a complete disaster and while the urgency was of course to get rid of CA and then AVB double quick, a massive overhaul of the players was clearly needed.

While I thought a few could have stayed on a year or two more, and 2 might have stayed this year. right now it is only Sturridge who has gone that we could do with. The rest are now too old or never were good enough.

* We scored plenty of goals against little clubs, but were very poor against stronger ones.

The squad overhaul was supposed to come the last world cup in 2010, not sure what the board was thinking. Investments were crucial, and instead, we were left with Paulo Ferreira playing as a centre-back.

The squad overhaul was supposed to come the last world cup in 2010, not sure what the board was thinking. Investments were crucial, and instead, we were left with Paulo Ferreira playing as a centre-back.

If you're going to be unrelentingly critical, could you at least make sense?

The overhaul clearly traces back to 2010 as far as I can see (Ballack, Joe Cole, Deco, Belletti, Carvalho all let go with minimal incomings), and it's precisely the overhaul that left us thin on the ground in varying positions over that time.

kratos   

2010 saw Ramirez and Benayoun join and saw 5 players leave, apart from the pursuit of Neymar it was a pretty underwhelming summer.

As everyone saw the team suffered badly as a result.

Edited by kratos

ABC.es (basically the spanish BBC) also reporting that Fabregas is close now.

http://www.abc.es/deportes/futbol/20140603/abci-cesc-fabregas-chelsea-Mourinho-201406031227.html

Not digging you out, just saying it in case anyone is interested ...

They're probably a closer equivalent to the Telegraph or Guardian than they are the BBC. ABC are what the industry would call papers of 'record', meaning that they don't have longstanding or traditional reputations for scurrilous or trivial reporting. Of course, the boundaries between papers of record and red tops is blurring more and more in the age of internet click bait.

If ABC are covering it, it's certainly a rumour that is being treated seriously. As we all know, that's not quite the same thing as the rumour being based on known truth!

Edited by thevelourfog

Going back to Ancelotti - his first year we barely improved* and got lucky to win the CL with enough points to give us a chance.

The following season, 10/11, was a complete disaster and while the urgency was of course to get rid of CA and then AVB double quick, a massive overhaul of the players was clearly needed.

While I thought a few could have stayed on a year or two more, and 2 might have stayed this year. right now it is only Sturridge who has gone that we could do with. The rest are now too old or never were good enough.

* We scored plenty of goals against little clubs, but were very poor against stronger ones.

Didn't we beat United, Arsenal and Liverpool home and away that season?

If you're going to be unrelentingly critical, could you at least make sense?

The overhaul clearly traces back to 2010 as far as I can see (Ballack, Joe Cole, Deco, Belletti, Carvalho all let go with minimal incomings), and it's precisely the overhaul that left us thin on the ground in varying positions over that time.

I still trace it back to Frank Arnesen. He was behind Mourinho leaving, started gradually decreasing the overall quality of the squad, never adressed the problem of the unbalanced age (all the standout performers were within a few years of age of each other) and when some started declining, Ancelotti was given a few 18 and 19 year olds.

In his final transfer window he went desperate and bought Torres + David Luiz to no real effect...

Since Emenalo is in charge, we've been doing a lot better business, IMO. Nothing all too flashy, but sound and solid, overall.

And balancing sustainablity and (moderate, but acceptable) success from where he left off (which was total shambles) probably deserves more credit than some of us would care to admit.

Didn't we beat United, Arsenal and Liverpool home and away that season?

We did.

We weren't great in either United game- they could both just as easily ended in draws or defeats.

We were comfortable at home against Liverpool, but didn't kill the game off until very late. Couldn't describe the away game to you now- was in too much of a panic about it to really take it in!

Arsenal away, we were superb. One of my favourite away games ever.

I think it's too much to say we were poor against the bigger sides, but probably fair to say we weren't as well-drilled for them as we were, for example, last season. We were worst against the 5th-9th type clubs that season.

Ando   

Not digging you out, just saying it in case anyone is interested ...

They're probably a closer equivalent to the Telegraph or Guardian than they are the BBC. ABC are what the industry would call papers of 'record', meaning that they don't have longstanding or traditional reputations for scurrilous or trivial reporting. Of course, the boundaries between papers of record and red tops is blurring more and more in the age of internet click bait.

If ABC are covering it, it's certainly a rumour that is being treated seriously. As we all know, that's not quite the same thing as the rumour being based on known truth!

Fair enough. Just going by what my Spanish mate was telling me but what you're saying makes sense.