• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Looked pretty toothless to me, whenever I've seen him.

Lots of "nearly" action, and flashes of "nearly" brilliance, but very rarely actually brilliant, even throughout just a single attack, IMO.

Credit where it's due, 21 goals in 29 matches is impressive. It's offset by giving away a few by being stupid (must be 2 or 3) and generally being a defensive liability. And in Liverpools all-out attacking play, I'd expect those kind of numbers from any half-decent striker...

We sold Mata because he's no good at pressing. Sturridge is worse...

On the good days, yes.

But Balotelli is almost as likely to do something absolutely crazy or just being completely disinterested in playing football, as he is to play really well.

He'll be excellent at the World Cup, because he wants to play.

He'd be useless against an aggressive smaller side, where he'd lack motivation. And those are about 80% of our matches...

Firstly I'm not too fussed about players showing "flashes of brilliance" or not... I'll take the goals, thank you very much

As for pressing... yes that's an absolute must when we're playing against teams that sit deep in two banks of 4 or 5!!!! I'll happily dispense with a player who presses well for one that can unlock the defence in those situations (about 80% of our games)

Scooba   

Balotelli is more talented than both sturridge and Costa. He just needs a kick up the arse and told that he has to earn his place in the team (and the money that comes with that). If he got stuck in as much as Costa, he would be one hell of a striker.

I thought the club were wrong to sell him... actually, I thought the club (under various managers) did him a gross disservice which led to him wanting to leave.

This sums it up for me. I'd say that selling Sturridge was not just 100% the right thing to do- it was the only thing left to do.

The big mistake wasn't selling him. The big mistake was creating the situation in which he had to be sold.

Sturridge unlocking defenses?

Goodness me, he's a decent attacking player but he lives on the service from his teammates. He's not a striker who scores his goals by himself. He's not a at striker who'll take the ball and make something happen. He's a striker who is running around looking for a moment where he can get in position and find himself in a scoring position.

In that regard Sturridge is a player who'll be great for a team like Liverpool but is left wanting when expected to lead the line for a club like Chelaea.

I still think it was the right choice to let him go overall even though there were others who should have gone before Sturridge *ahem, Torres, ahem*

mokilove   

What about Cahill from Costa Rica? He impressed me much yesterday.

And yes, I would prefer Ballotelli over Costa every day.

I'm with you on this one James. I wasn't thrilled by the potential signing of Costa but I'm happy to trust the manager. As the other poster said, the Spain style doesn't necessarily suit his game.

You're also right about Drogba taking two seasons. It's easy to hide behind the goal scoring stars but for those who's memory gave been clouded by later performances (possibly because they failed to appreciate in the first two seasons) it's an easy task to go back to the early days of the Drogba thread on this very forum to see that it took at least a couple of seasons for many to warm to him.

To be honest, I think too many people see your name on a post and text to that rather than the point you're making half of the time.

Yes there has been a lot of revisionism of Drogba after his first two years. Of two kinds.

But the first kind - "no, I now remember him as a great player in his first few years" is rare.

And the second - "ah now with hindsight, I can see he must have been a much better player than I was giving him credit for" is pretty common.

The fact is that we did very well in his first two years and not so well in his third.

Sturridge unlocking defenses?

Goodness me, he's a decent attacking player but he lives on the service from his teammates. He's not a striker who scores his goals by himself. He's not a at striker who'll take the ball and make something happen. He's a striker who is running around looking for a moment where he can get in position and find himself in a scoring position.

In that regard Sturridge is a player who'll be great for a team like Liverpool but is left wanting when expected to lead the line for a club like Chelaea.

I still think it was the right choice to let him go overall even though there were others who should have gone before Sturridge *ahem, Torres, ahem*

No... someone like Mata who ChelseaTillIDie said we (rightly, in his opinion) sold because he couldn't press. I suggested I would happily have one player who couldn't press for one who could unlock a packed defence.

Edited by Bob Singleton

Stim   

There are many examples of games where the same old stuff happened and we drew or loss when mata was still here. QPR to name but one. (The 1-0 loss at the bridge, not the away debacle)

There's different ways to 'unlock a defence' in games where teams sit deep and just defend. The piece of skill,a sublime through ball or a moment of magic is one way and then there is the centre forward balldozering his way through a defence or causing the centre half to make a mistake by being a constant menace or winning a penalty because the defenders just can't handle you, holding the ball up and laying it off for someone else, making intelligent runs, being in the right place at the right time, being a threat from set pieces and crosses.

Costa is the perfect centre forward for games in which teams sit back to defend and nothing else, I'd be more concerned about him in games which we are defending ourselves and he has to do a lot of the work up top all on his own and we create very few chances and rely on him to take them.

The one time Suarez and sturridge came up against a defence that sat deep and asked them to break us down they were both woeful.

Edited by Hazardous

Scooba   

What about Cahill from Costa Rica? He impressed me much yesterday.

And yes, I would prefer Ballotelli over Costa every day.

I can't remember a Cahill playing. Joel Campbell the arsenal youngster who done well against Man U in the champions league was impressive again. Do you mean him?