• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Was it concerning if it was intentional? He said just before the season ended that essentially he was saving himself for the World Cup. It that was the reason, then I don't think there's cause for concern.

And by Barca's accounts we've just signed a player who does the same thing anyway

Yes it's concerning intentional or otherwise. We were chasing accolades right to the end, I'd like to believe that every player was giving their best to do what they could for the cause. Many other players also have/had a WC to look forward to.

Oscar had gotten the nod over Mata, was clearly a favourite of Jose and as such I can't help feeling disappointed as to how his form/effort tailed off at a crucial stage of the season.

But don't get me wrong, when he's on his game and his head is right, there are few better.

paulw66   

He had a poor second half in which I believe he was saving himself for the WC , when he comes back he could well be knackered after all the football he's played but I'm certain that some people on this forum on like payers like Kroos and Witsel because they're "good in FIFA" and have an unusual name.

That's "some people on this forum" not you.

If that is the case, then that is appalling. he is paid a fortune to play for Chelsea and "saving yourslef" should not be accepted or tolerated.

Kroos is a fantastic footballer, which has been evident every time he has played against English oppo in the CL. That is why people want him.

If that is the case, then that is appalling. he is paid a fortune to play for Chelsea and "saving yourslef" should not be accepted or tolerated.

100% correct. I'd like to think after all the football he had played in the last couple of years he was knackered and had a niggling injury. If he was saving himself for the world cup that is unforgivable. One or two performances like the one against Croatia for us might have just won us the league

3Sphinx   

Well, one good performance at the WC has not erased many sub-par displays from him in the second half of the season. A player given such a central role has to deliver.

paulw66   

100% correct. I'd like to think after all the football he had played in the last couple of years he was knackered and had a niggling injury. If he was saving himself for the world cup that is unforgivable. One or two performances like the one against Croatia for us might have just won us the league

Very good point.

Very good point.

So we'l sell him and not bother getting Lukaku back either then?

After all, a goal against Palace and a goal against Norwich would've made the world of difference.

I'm not saying Oscar did the right thing in supposedly "saving himself" just that he's a much , much, better player than Kroos will ever be, he's suffering at the minute for us due to the ridiculous amount of games he's played in the last calendar year., but, a bit like the Ramires "debate", we aren't valuing the players we have as highly as we do the players that some hipster deems to be the next big thing.

Khobar   

Quite a few rather harsh judgements on Oscar aren't there?

Personally, I think he should be used sparingly at the start of next season as he is a prime candidate for burn out. Brazils style of play is different to ours, international football is different to Premier League football and playing in bursts in the heat is different to being kicked by Charlie Adam in the mud. I'm more inclined to cut the guy some slack rather than assume he spent half a season not giving a s**t because of the World Cup.

Quite a few rather harsh judgements on Oscar aren't there?

Personally, I think he should be used sparingly at the start of next season as he is a prime candidate for burn out. Brazils style of play is different to ours, international football is different to Premier League football and playing in bursts in the heat is different to being kicked by Charlie Adam in the mud. I'm more inclined to cut the guy some slack rather than assume he spent half a season not giving a s**t because of the World Cup.

Absolutely. There's no denying the lads talent. We are just as culpable to his "demise" as he is himself.

We need to start managing some of our players much better.

Khobar   

Hasn't changed a bit IMO. .

It's too easy to look at Sturridge last night and last season then say - we were wrong to let him go. Very easy - it is true.

I agree that Sturridge hasn't changed a bit. However, I disagree that we were wrong to sell (other than maybe putting in some add-ins to the deal). A player can do well at a club but badly after a transfer and vice versa - all a bit of a gamble. Liverpool are set up in a way that he and Suarez can thrive, but in doing so they miss out in other ways. Our striker doesn't HAVE to be scoring goals, as long as someone else is, but he needs to be our first line of defence rather than just an out and out striker.

Well done to Sturridge, his third move has worked out so far. Not convinced he'll win too many trophies unless he moves though and another move could change his fortunes.

Not sure about his hamstring either, but hats a guess based on very little substance and the rest is just my opinion.

Dingus   

Which is why a signing like Kroos would relieve the pressure that Oscar probably found himself under at times during the season.