• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

paulw66   

So we'l sell him and not bother getting Lukaku back either then?

After all, a goal against Palace and a goal against Norwich would've made the world of difference.

I'm not saying Oscar did the right thing in supposedly "saving himself" just that he's a much , much, better player than Kroos will ever be, he's suffering at the minute for us due to the ridiculous amount of games he's played in the last calendar year., but, a bit like the Ramires "debate", we aren't valuing the players we have as highly as we do the players that some hipster deems to be the next big thing.

The bit in bold is just a bizarre rant. I am not suggesting selling Oscar or Lukaku. I dont understand the point you are making. The point I was agreeing with, was that if Oscar had produced a Croatia type performance in any number of the games we screwed up, we may well have won the league. (note I am not blaming him entirely for our failure to win those games, just an observation)

The comparison with Kroos is pointless and redundant. It matters little what talent a player has if it is not applied properly. Oscar's output after November was poor, bordering on awful. A player of his talent should have scored and assisted far more. I doubt that this was purely down to him "saving himself" and it is unlikely he was conciously not putting effort in.

Absolutely. There's no denying the lads talent. We are just as culpable to his "demise" as he is himself.

We need to start managing some of our players much better.

His fatigue seems to have worn off miraculously quickly as soon as the WC started.

Was Oscar consciously holding back because the World Cup was round the corner? Or was it more that the fear of injury sat at the back of his mind and he played a little within himself because of it?

I doubt he decided to be in relatively poor form.

paulw66   

Was Oscar consciously holding back because the World Cup was round the corner? Or was it more that the fear of injury sat at the back of his mind and he played a little within himself because of it?

Agree with this. Either way, I dont think it endears him to the fans of the club who pay him a vast salary.

Harvz   

It was one game. He played out of his skin in a match where he was opening the World Cup in front of a home crowd. Doesn't seem too cynical to me. Doesn't seem implausible that someone could be absolutely drained and still have a one off belter of a game either.

Not sure why anyone would jump to conclusions (in the manner than some have on here).

bert19   

As both MT and I have pointed out before, his volume of football (combined with a lot of global travel to play it) over the last 2 1/2 years has been vast. His dip in form suggests to me that he was knackered a good few months ago.

He seemed to struggle with a bit of an injury in March/April and I wonder if being used sparingly towards the end of the season has helped him a bit now?

I'm prepared to give the lad the benefit of the doubt as he's so far appeared to be a hard worker on the pitch and a professional off it. It's probably pretty natural that most of those Brazilian boys will have had the upcoming World Cup weighing fairly heavily on their minds over the last 6-12 months too.

If I were Jose though, I'd tell him I didn't want to see him for about 3-4 weeks after the World Cup and let him recharge his batteries, especially since his wife gave birth about 2 weeks ago too.

bert19   

The Kroos links are great though: - Superb player.

If we managed to add him, Costa and Fabregas in one summer, that'd be absolutely fantastic. Having Oscar there to play with them would just add more creativity, goals and flair to a squad that is already looking pretty tasty.

Zoowraa   

Whilst I think Oscar is a fantastic player, I still think he will be better deeper. He just does not get involved enough in games when playing as a no 10.

His performance against Croatia was better than majority of his performances for us. Ironically enough, something I am sure that has not gone unnoticed, but it will go pass with no comment, in a position out wide.

We had a manager who used to get battered on here for playing him out wide. However, he has proved he can do it impressively.

I say this because I am all for Hazard as a number 10. I think this role will see him step up another level and now we know it won't be to the detriment of others,such as Oscar.

Was it concerning if it was intentional? He said just before the season ended that essentially he was saving himself for the World Cup. It that was the reason, then I don't think there's cause for concern.

And by Barca's accounts we've just signed a player who does the same thing anyway

Really? Why not? Surely he should have been giving his all for us shouldn't he? We're paying him and were involved in a very tight PL title chase with a real chance of winning. All we needed was to find a way of beating the teams who parked the bus against us and we would have won it I think. Oscar could, should and probably would have been instrumental in helping that to come about had he not been "saving himself" for another competition.