• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Jay Seal   

Re Liverpool, I agree they need back up now they will have additional CL games, they had it so easy last year and missed their best chance of winning. Resting between games at the end of the season unlike the other should have been their trump card....but it wasnt

Sad really, they won't get another chance like that, they'll struggle to sustain competing before slithering away back to mid table within a couple of seasons. Bookies should start taking bets on whose fault it'll be...

At the expense of who?

For me, unless Liverpool up there signings they'll be fourth at most next season. For me they've a very good starting XI and an average squad and last season they basically just played 38 games. Another thing to take into consideration is that they also virtually had no injuries to key player last season, for me if Suarez or St Stevie Me get injured or suffer a dip in form then they'll be in trouble. Also, United are bound to improve and it looks as if they'll throw some money around this summer.

I think the problem some have with signing a 29 year old left back is the "short-termism" of it. You're buying a player who you have to start planning to replace almost immediately and spending a lot of money doing so. You're also asking a 29 year old to adapt to a new, much more physical, league (which hasn't always worked out well for us in the past, and rampaging fullbacks have a relatively short shelf life anyway) and (for those who enjoy playing "football manager") you've got an asset that will be significantly devalued by the end of his first year.

There may also be those who think that Azpilicueta did very well at leftback and deserves to continue in that role (I am amongst this camp), so signing a £20m short-term replacement is a bit unnecessary.

I agree with most of this but I would prefer to see a left footed left back next season, who offers more offensively in the games against sides who stick 11 men behind the ball. PvA could work for this and Azpi plays left back in the tougher games.

When we picked up a 22 year old Azpi for £7m, you can see why £19m on a 29 year old is just barmy. There must be a cheaper and or younger alternative out there.

Edit - for the record, I dont know that player might be, but I had never heard of Azpilicueta until a few days before he signed. Whoever scouted him can hopefully achieve the same with a left back.

As well as Dave did in the LB position last season I think going forward it is best to have a left footer going forward as Paul says. However, as I've said elsewhere Luis is exactly the type of FB that we need and that Jose loves. He is primarily defensive, doesn't get caught out easily, has an excellent engine and has an excellent work ethic I.e. he isn't a rampaging FB. For me, if you take age out of the equation he is by far the most suitable LB on the market. As for the £19m price tag, it should also be considered that his wages aren't going to be high at all, while when we look at the squad and the starting XI I do not think our FB's are going to go past the half way line that much. Also, when you consider our current LB options I think PvA is never going to be trusted by Jose as he is constantly caught out of position (although he may be used as a left sided utility player) and Bertrand is only at the level in which he would be used as a back up (and I actually expect to see him back in the squad next season as he fit homegrown criteria). As for Shaw, he is what £30m plus his wages would be around if not more than Luis's, which consequently makes him a very expensive option because if he doesn't improve it'll be a problem (although I do actually like and rate him). Monero is good and at a decent price but again you're risking that he is going to improve whilst he is more attack minded which I don't think Jose wants.

Point very, very well made.

Not to mention that this 29 year old bloke happens to be very good just adds to the benefit.

We can get 3-4 years out of him. Considering we wouldn't have to spend crazy money from here on I think we can be very selective with the few we do end up buying.

Age becomes slightly less relevant that way. He will make us better for here and now. Jose can't tell Roman give me four seasons and I'll build an iconic team. He needs to win here and now from this season on I reckon. He will get more leeway than others (some could say he's already enjoyed that).

Signing Luis ticks so many boxes for me I really couldn't care less he's 29.

This is well put. Next season Jose has to win either the league and/or the Champions League otherwise, if we go by history, he'll lose his job while due to the way Luis plays I think it is safe to say that he'll still be at his current level for another 3-4 years.

Terry, Cahill, Ivanovic, Azpilicueta, Luis (or another first-team ready left-back) + Omeruo, Zouma and PvA seems more than enough to me, both in quality and quantity. 3 LB options, 3 RB options, 5 CB options.

3 of them being homegrown.

I think that looks quite strong to be honest. Nice mix of fullbacks as well.

DLU   

Sad really, they won't get another chance like that, they'll struggle to sustain competing before slithering away back to mid table within a couple of seasons. Bookies should start taking bets on whose fault it'll be...

Can't agree with that amigo.. ;)

We've been linked to some Romanian bloke who plays LB for Steaua Bucharest. 28 years old. Can't say I know much about him but on YouTube he looks a bit awkward.

Like a left sided Danny Mills (of Leeds).

Oh. It's on the daily mail mobile app.

DLU   

If United spend around 150m and manage to get 4-5 top players, I reckon they'll be back in the top four by the end of next season.

The question is - will those top players go there without Champions League football? They need new midfielders, but there aren't many really good ones on the market (with Fabs joining us even less). And they also need one or two top defenders, but apparently one of their targets - mangela or something - also said he'd prefer us! United must be mad at us!

Edit: Imagine Kroos also joins us instead of them!

Edited by DLU

Flinkers   

When Kroos was 21/22 and playing as a 10; he was incredibly inconsistent. Looking at his competition and his performances that year, and even the year after, it's is amazing that Heynckes played him at all (TBH I think the hype around him had a lot to do with him being picked as a starter so often, hype he didn't start living up to until this year IMO).

Bayern showed a lot of faith in Kroos, played him when he wasn't doing well and trying him out in lots of different areas in an attempt to get the best out of him. Maybe the time to revisit this conversation is when Oscar is 24 (and possibly playing deeper like Kroos is, playing in an area where you get more time on the ball certainly helped him look a better player, because he always looked a very average 10 IMO).

That's true, we're looking at two players 2 years apart in their development. One of them has been playing in Europe his entire professional career while the other has barely started and had a year kicking his heels because of contractual funnies.

You could say that Oscar now is mirroring Kroos' development path; good in patches, perhaps overused, inconsistent in his application and technique. And in all probability, not playing in the position in which he'll finally settle.

They're both great players - It's just, IMO, at this moment in time Kroos is 'greater' than Oscar.

Liverpool actually had a number of injuries to key players last season and Suarez was banned until October, they still did well to sustain that title challenge. Interestingly, we have actually been blessed that key players haven't suffered injuries, long term any way. I wonder what we've done differently that a team like Arsenal doesn't considering that a player hasn't been injured long term since 2012, it seems we have different approaches to training and resting.

DannyLB   

We've been linked to some Romanian bloke who plays LB for Steaua Bucharest. 28 years old. Can't say I know much about him but on YouTube he looks a bit awkward.

Like a left sided Danny Mills (of Leeds).

Oh. It's on the daily mail mobile app.

I'd love another Romanian at the club. :)

Karan   

Liverpool actually had a number of injuries to key players last season and Suarez was banned until October, they still did well to sustain that title challenge. Interestingly, we have actually been blessed that key players haven't suffered injuries, long term any way. I wonder what we've done differently that a team like Arsenal doesn't considering that a player hasn't been injured long term since 2012, it seems we have different approaches to training and resting.

Playing a game every week with no fixture congestion makes it easier to cope without the injured or suspended players. Added to the fact that they had no major expectations on them apart from the last few weeks - where they eventually bottled it. Wasn't it towards the last few months of the season where Rodgers barely made changes to his starting 11?