• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

cam4blue   

As well as Dave did in the LB position last season I think going forward it is best to have a left footer going forward as Paul says.

My perspective (which differs from some who do not want Felipe Luis) is that we have a very good leftback. I don't see why we would buy someone to replace him now, but who would put us in the same situation (needing a new leftback) in a few years. By then, Ivanovic may also be gone which gives us less room to manoeuvre in terms of integrating a new player. Not many attacking fullbacks maintain their energy into their 30s (even Ashley didn't and he is a freakish athlete), so we spend a year integrating luis, add another year and then we start looking for a replacement. That seems a bit of a waste when we are perfectly set up to integrate a younger player in that position now, in that we already have very good options in both fullback positions which means they wouldn't have to play every game.

As for who that would be; I do not know. As a previous poster said, not many knew much about Azpilicueta before we signed him, and even those that did know of him cannot have believed he would be as good as he has become. Right now is (IMO) the perfect time to bring in someone of that sort of profile (and is what I expected to happen, although, given the weight of speculation, I may have been wrong on that).

(Of course, if we do sign Filipe Luis I will root for him, and he has looked a very good player in that Atletico side. I do not want to be one of those who criticises a player because they were against his signing in the first place. He would likely improve our team, although there is the slight danger, given his age and the league he is coming from, that he may find himself on the bench anyway, which would make his signing look incredibly stupid).

we look at the squad and the starting XI I do not think our FB's are going to go past the half way line that much.

I think this is broadly true and will remain broadly true whoever we buy. Which will disappoint some.

Karan   

I think the key thing is to have 6 top class defenders with some flexibilty so we have at least 3 who can play CB, 2 can play LB and 2 RB.

Cahill, JT, Ivanovic Azpi and a new LB means we have that with just 5 players. That allows us to either add a 6th or even to go with the 5 + 2 or 3 of the younger and marginal players (PVA/Omeruo/Zouma/Kalas*/Bertrand*/Ake*/Chalobah*)

* = more likely to be out on loan.

I believe it will probably be one of Zouma or Omeruo as the 4th choice CB (and backup RB). Probably expect a half season battle between them to decide who says on beyond the winter transfer window while the one heads out on loan.

I like the idea of a left footed left back who's abit good at crossing. :) Cole for all his merits has not been as consistent or as effective since the 2009/10 season where his all round game was excellent (May have been down to Malouda as well). Luis from whatever I've seen looks a good solid option to add to the squad and Azpi is perfect to play the versatile fullback on either side.

Can't see Bertrand staying for the season, van Aanholt perhaps - that is if we're keen to add more options in the homegrown contingent.

Can't agree with that amigo.. ;)

me neither. Wishful thinking I reckon.

Chelsea players, past and present, looking really toothless against Algeria so far. Lukaku taken off after an hour and Hazard doing nothing, along with De Bruyne.

Chelsea players, past and present, looking really toothless against Algeria so far. Lukaku taken off after an hour and Hazard doing nothing, along with De Bruyne.

Strange, Lukaku comes up against a side not expecting to beat Belgium , never gets a kick and is taken off.

Its almost as if Mourinho knows what he's talking about.

Odd.

My perspective (which differs from some who do not want Felipe Luis) is that we have a very good leftback. I don't see why we would buy someone to replace him now, but who would put us in the same situation (needing a new leftback) in a few years. By then, Ivanovic may also be gone which gives us less room to manoeuvre in terms of integrating a new player. Not many attacking fullbacks maintain their energy into their 30s (even Ashley didn't and he is a freakish athlete), so we spend a year integrating luis, add another year and then we start looking for a replacement. That seems a bit of a waste when we are perfectly set up to integrate a younger player in that position now, in that we already have very good options in both fullback positions which means they wouldn't have to play every game.

As for who that would be; I do not know. As a previous poster said, not many knew much about Azpilicueta before we signed him, and even those that did know of him cannot have believed he would be as good as he has become. Right now is (IMO) the perfect time to bring in someone of that sort of profile (and is what I expected to happen, although, given the weight of speculation, I may have been wrong on that).

(Of course, if we do sign Filipe Luis I will root for him, and he has looked a very good player in that Atletico side. I do not want to be one of those who criticises a player because they were against his signing in the first place. He would likely improve our team, although there is the slight danger, given his age and the league he is coming from, that he may find himself on the bench anyway, which would make his signing look incredibly stupid).

I think this is broadly true and will remain broadly true whoever we buy. Which will disappoint some.

The thing with Luis is that although he is 28, soon to be 29 he hasn't actually played that much football. In regards to his style of play he isn't a player who is that speedy and/or attacking. Consequently, I don't see him as a player that starts to fade dramatically at 30/31 and think he will still be around about where he is now (although I could be wrong!), while he is also a player that will probably be happy to stay back as Jose will probably instruct him.

cam4blue   

In regards to his style of play he isn't a player who is that speedy and/or attacking. Consequently, I don't see him as a player that starts to fade dramatically at 30/31 and think he will still be around about where he is now (although I could be wrong!), while he is also a player that will probably be happy to stay back as Jose will probably instruct him.

Re: the bit in bold; his speed and energy on the flanks are definitely what make him stand out in La Liga.

Re; the whole thing; if the point is to get a leftback who can defend (which I don't think it is for many, the opposite in fact) then we already have one, so we don't need to spend £20m on a 29 year old one (going back to one of my original points; wouldn't that money be better spent on a first team ready "project", similar in profile to Azpilicueta when he arrived?).

BlueFizz   

Strange, Lukaku comes up against a side not expecting to beat Belgium , never gets a kick and is taken off.

Odd.

It's always wrong to judge any player on half a game - but I think the match highlighted a truth about Lukaku that those who want him back often overlook, but which Jose has mentioned a couple of times.

Despite his bulk he isn't a Drogba type player at all - not great with his back to the goal holding the ball for those around him. He likes to break into space facing the opposition goal. More like Torres than Drogba in fact.

Hence today against a team that got behind the ball he underwhelmed.

This maybe the reason Jose doesn't see him as the answer to all our prayers.

DLU   

Odd.

Love this bit!

DLU   

It's always wrong to judge any player on half a game - but I think the match highlighted a truth about Lukaku that those who want him back often overlook, but which Jose has mentioned a couple of times.

Despite his bulk he isn't a Drogba type player at all - not great with his back to the goal holding the ball for those around him. He likes to break into space facing the opposition goal. More like Torres than Drogba in fact.

Hence today against a team that got behind the ball he underwhelmed.

This maybe the reason Jose doesn't see him as the answer to all our prayers.

True, Drogba's first touch was indefinitely better than Lukaku's and he was generally a physical player with good technique, which is rare.