• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Harvz   

Disappointed, as I had high hopes, and I'll always have time for a player who's a fan of the club from a young age. But the signs are there that his head isn't right. Can't have weak mentality at a top club. That sort of thing is contagious. And for that reason, and that reason only, I'm OK with this deal as long as he's netting us some profit.

Got to say I'm disappointed with the Lukaku sale as I was hoping that he would get a season. That said £24m+ on top of the rumoured loan fees we got for him £2m WBA, £4m Everton then we've made solid profit on him especially when you also consider his wages weren't massive and he had his wages covered for the past two seasons. That's said, I think we need another striker now as for me Drogba v.2014 and Torres aren't good enough, especially when you consider Costa's injury record. That said, who's out there? The only players I can think of are - Cavani - over priced and over hyped - Falcao - no knee, maybe 31 - Balotelli - unpredictable - Benzema - not going to leave Real and he isn't exactly the most clinical - Firmino - won't get a work permit and isn't strictly a CF - Lavezzi - More of a AM. As for Bamford, I think it's clear that he is off on loan as Jose didn't name him. For me, CF is going to be a problem area once again, what I would do for another Eider.

In regards to the foreign limit, I still expect to see one of Cech or Courtois to be sold and if they're not then I would expect Schwarzer to be excluded from the CL squad. As for the Romeu and Mikel, I expect at least one of them to be sold/loaned.

Edited by sebcfc

Really happy with this. Lukaku might be better than Torres and an ageing Drogba right now but that's no reason for us to settle for Lukaku as a second striker. Jose clearly doesn't rate him and thinks we can do a lot better.

Am sure this deal is only happening because we've got a quality replacement lined up.

As far as I'm concerned this is a good deal for the club and a good deal for the player.

I'm pretty sure it's not.

A replacement would have to be homegrown or mean the exit of ANOTHER senior foreign player. I can't see anybody leaving on top of who has to currently. And I'm not sure there's a homegrown striker who's realistically available and better than Lukaku.

We better get prepared for seeing a lot of Torres and Drogba next season.

Torres and an older (but still capable) Drogba don't really inspire too much confidence I'm afraid...

Costa is a step in the right direction quality wise, but as we've seen before, strikers new to the league can struggle in their debut season.

Pressure on him to produce goals from the off, to keep his discipline and his fitness. Think it's crucial we make another smart signing upfront with some necessary squad outgoings.

paulw66   

Great message sent out to the players we loan out....he was sent on loan, scored goals for WBA. sent on loan to Everton, scores more goals......then gets sold.

And people wonder why there was a secptical reaction when this young Croat midfielder got sent on loan.

Zoowraa   

I was fairly positive we brought Lukaku for around £13 million up front, rising to around £18 with various add ons.

If I am right, considering he has never really played for us, very probable these add ons won't be paid.

Take into account loan fees received and likely transfer fee of £20-£25 million. Then I suspect we have made a nice tidy profit on him.

Not black and white this sale. I can understand the questioning of Lukaku in leaving us, but I can also sympathise with him and understand that he don't want to potentially risk stalling his career further.

Some will call it quitting, but he spent time with Jose last season and I imagine he picked up the vibe that he didn't fancy him. You may as well go somewhere where you are appreciated. Take our Chelsea sentiments aside, I'm sure we would take this similar decision for the best in our career.

ScottCFC   

Selling Lukaku and replacing him with Costa for a net spend of about £5-6m. Excellent business once again.

Let's try get rid of Torres as well and bring in one last exciting player.

Why not have both?

As we're going to need to buy another striker now, although if we were to use this money to buy someone like Pogba instead (don't think it will happen, just an example) and we keep Costa, Torres and Drogba as our 3 strikers then that would also okay.

But we shouldn't be relying on Drogba as third choice if our second choice is Torres. He needs to be fourth choice or we replace Torres.