• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Much better than Torres

His creates headlines usually for his off field character exploits, take those away and we would probably not even be mentioning him. Personally I would stay well clear, not professional enough to be part of a trophy challenging team.

be1   

From "Vital Chelsea, absolutely spot on..

A backup to Costa!

Say Costa gets injured (or get sent off) for a few months who can step in? Drogba! Although he was prolific in his day Drogba managed 10 goals in 32 appearances last season, 6 goals in 17 the season before and in his last season for Chelsea he managed 14 goals in 38 appearances.

He will chip in, but I can't see him being decent enough cover. Torres I think the goal scoring difficulties here have been debated long enough. believe it or not (I can't quite believe it) but Torres has only managed 20 league goals for Chelsea in over 100 appearances. He simply is not good enough cover.

So my question to you all is.... Who should be our backup? Bearing in mind that we are already over our quota of international players, is there a young under 21 striker we can bring in?

From "Vital Chelsea, absolutely spot on..

So my question to you all is.... Who should be our backup? Bearing in mind that we are already over our quota of international players, is there a young under 21 striker we can bring in?

What kind of Chelsea fan hasn't heard of Bamford? (Aimed at the original poster, not you be1)

Edited by bluecueball

To be fair, I don't really see an issue with the foriegn quota as it is as I think it can easily be got around. At the moment, the foriegn players are as follows:

Cech

Courtois

Schwarzer

Ivanovic

Luis

Azpilicueta

Ramires

Mikel

Matic

Van Ginkle

Romeu

Schurrle

Hazard

Willian

Oscar

Salah

Drogba

Torres

Costa

Firstly, from those players I am not sure if Van Ginkle is classed as a forgien player or if he is still an U21? If he is that leaves us with 18 and from the list and I think we could easily dispose with Romeu by loaning him to get the figure down to 17 and that's before you consider that one of Cech/Courtois may be sold and if not then Schwarzer could easily not be added. While, if we do keep all three GK's on the list and keep Romeu we could consider loaning Salah and bringing Moses back in as I don't think that it would actually be much of a drop off.

Centre Forward - Costa for me is a massive improvement and I am confident that he will be an excellent addition as his all round team play and aggression is exactly what we need upfront. However, as everyone else, the prospect of Drogba and Torres is a worry as Torres is a busted flush and Drogba is an impact player at best, while my biggest concern is Costa staying fit, if he gets another bad injury we will be in serious trouble. That said, I don't really see what we can do now Lukaku is gone other than give Bamford a squad place and hope he steps up to the mark, as Torres isn't going anywhere unless Monaco get desperate; I know Jose said that he was staying but I can imagine if "an important offer" comes in for him, we'll jump at the oppotunity.

So in all, I think we have an excellent first XI and a few solid back ups, however I still feel a couple of bad injuries and we will be struggling.

Moses is a better option than Salah anyway. Costa is a massive improvement, just a shame we seem to be pinning all our hopes on him, and after last seasons striker problems quite unbelievable if we do. As for "an important offer" for Torres. More like "any offer"!

Edited by nutmegsw6

A few random thoughts:

1. Stockpiling players with a resell value is an obvious strategy in a market with raising prices.

2. To be able to attract young players without paying exorbitant salaries it helps if you can show you will aid their development and listen to their demands.

3. Low wages are important when shifting a player. Learned the hard way with Torres.

1. Trouble is that while the market goes up, prices for individuals fall as contracts run down, and wages are a very high cost for players that are not used or not loaned to the handful of big clubs that can pay the £20k a week that our non-first team players are getting from us.

2. Our only successes have been from players who already have a first team track record or who have spent almost their entire time at Chelsea on loan (Bertrand, Bridcutt, Cork).

3. Yes - which is a bit of a handicap when so many of our young players seem to come only for the money.

Holymoly   

A few random thoughts:

Stockpiling players with a resell value is an obvious strategy in a market with raising prices.

To be able to attract young players without paying exorbitant salaries it helps if you can show you will aid their development and listen to their demands.

Blaming Lukaku for be as sure as possible he gets good game time at his stage of his career I don't really get. Isn't the problem often the opposite? Like that English players at Man C for example.

Low wages are important when shifting a player. Learned the hard way with Torres.

Financial Fair Play has introduced another factor into the transfer dealings of the big clubs. The idea of "an offer you can't refuse". I would have said that five years ago or so neither Mata nor Davis Luiz would have been sold for the money we got for them as we would not want to be perceived as a "selling club". Now, unless you are deemed part of the living beating heart of the club and an automatic first team regular you will always be vulnerable to "a silly money" bid. Hence we made huge profits on Mata, DL and Lukaku and are probably none the poorer for it. Any rumour regarding the disposal of Schurrle flies in the face of this logic as, unless again it is for silly money and the likely purchaser would tend to make that unlikely, he is rapidly becoming an intrinsic member of the squad, especially after his performances in the World Cup, while seeming to be entirely accepting of sitting on the bench. It is this latter quality that I view as making him indespensible. There are not many world class players who don't whine and moan if they don't get inked into the team sheet every week and yet can be depended on to provide quality performances when asked.

In a way I would suggest that FFP does exactly the opposite of what UEFA intended. The big, monied clubs just seem to swap the top players around with each other and the cash involved just get's progressively syphoned off out of the game by agents. The effect on the smaller clubs is minimal and they certainly see no benefits without huge outlays themselves. Without real penalties on clubs who fall foul of the rules as they stand the thing is dead in the water.

In a way I would suggest that FFP does exactly the opposite of what UEFA intended. The big, monied clubs just seem to swap the top players around with each other and the cash involved just get's progressively syphoned off out of the game by agents. The effect on the smaller clubs is minimal and they certainly see no benefits without huge outlays themselves. Without real penalties on clubs who fall foul of the rules as they stand the thing is dead in the water.

It runs entirely contrary to the perception of their intent - but I think it has worked out exactly how they wanted it to.

Zoowraa   

I tend not to get too involved in home grown discussions etc,but it seems that we might need another striking option and we also have some issues with the number of non home grown players we have.

Based purely on this scenario. Maybe Connor Wickham could be an option to consider?

His career has stalled from what was expected but stepping up to Premier League level in a struggling team at 18 is very difficult.

He showed last season in patches that he has a bit about him and ended the season strongly and scoring goals. He offers a physical presence too, I would estimate we could get him for around £6-£7 million.

Clearly, we would not really consider him as an option if looking for a new striker across the world. But if we do need a home grown option, then we are short on possible options.

Trouble is we are going to struggle to convince players join and be fourth choice. Bamford is the obvious candidate, but I want him to play and continue to progress. I'd like to see what he could do in a full season in the Championship.

Sciatika   

I'd prefer Bamford on loan as well next season. Most likely he will go to one of the better championship sides, maybe back to Derby. It would not surprise me if JM uses Schurrle as his fourth striker option (Costa, Torres, Drogba). Very cool in front of goal, lots of pace and skill.