• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Agree with Ozzy regarding this whole "content to play back up" thing. I don't want anyone whose attitude is "I'll be happy just to be involved every now and again". I want someone who is desperate to prove they should be first choice.

Funnily enough, I think until last week, we had a guy like that...wonder what happened to him...

Stim   

He left to go be first choice?

I think you'll find he was desperate to be first choice not desperate to prove it.

Edited by Stim

OzzyCFC   

Lakaku wasn't willing to fight for anything. If he had a brain he would have hung around last season.

I don't believe for one second that Lukaku 'demanded' to be first choice at Chelsea. I can imagine he wanted to know he was going to get a fair chance to prove he could be but the idea that he would demand to be first choice given the club had just signed Costa for £32m just doesn't cut it with me.

jones   

1. Costa will surprise people this season.

2. Drogba, for some reason, is seen by people her as someone unable to contribute. Mindblowing. I think his role as an impact player will see him having way more impact for us than the regular 2nd/3rd choice striker would. 36, yes, but I have a feeling JM has watched more Galatasaray games last season then people here ...

3. Torres won't come good. I al confident the club is trying to offload him, and the only thing that makes sense is to play down speculation until he is gone. And if we win the lottery, will he be replaced? Not necessarily. I think Jose has utmost confident in the two above, we have Schurrle also, and Bamfords situation is still unconfirmed. Dont see who we would buy either?

Bottom line: people are over exaggerating the "problem" and I feel confident that we have seen a massive improvement up front in this summers transfer market.

Excited yes, worried no.

Edited by jones

Bottom line: people are over exaggerating the "problem" and I feel confident that we have seen a massive improvement up front in this summers transfer market.

Few are questioning Costa, but he can't reasonably be expected to carry the attack by himself. And few are claiming that Drogba can't contribute - the questions are how much can he contribute, and for how long. Personally, I think that they're perfectly legitimate questions/concerns given that the guy who ran around against us last season, and during the world cup, was a shadow of the Drogba we knew. And Torres is, and will remain, a waste of space. We've improved over last season, but to say 'massively' I think is a fair stretch, tbh. Having said that, I hope you're right.

So Romeu is out on loan, which isn't a surprise, and this brings us back down to the 17 foreign player mark. However, if the club don't go on to make one or two more changes to the squad this window I.e. Torres > A new striker, Another top CM, I think they're really missing a trick as if we could pull off such business then we would be set for years.

jones   

So Romeu is out on loan, which isn't a surprise, and this brings us back down to the 17 foreign player mark. However, if the club don't go on to make one or two more changes to the squad this window I.e. Torres > A new striker, Another top CM, I think they're really missing a trick as if we could pull off such business then we would be set for years.

No, we still have 18. And that is counting Zouma as u21 - which means he can play in the PL, but will count as foreigner in CL.

So, if we manage to cut the squad with one more foreginer (e.g., Schwarzer), then everyone can be registered for PL football, but one foreigner will still have to be cut from the CL squad.