• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Scooba   

So Romeu is out on loan, which isn't a surprise, and this brings us back down to the 17 foreign player mark. However, if the club don't go on to make one or two more changes to the squad this window I.e. Torres > A new striker, Another top CM, I think they're really missing a trick as if we could pull off such business then we would be set for years.

Do you understand that if nobody wants to pay for Torres then he's not going anywhere?

Scooba   

No, we still have 18. And that is counting Zouma as u21 - which means he can play in the PL, but will count as foreigner in CL.

So, if we manage to cut the squad with one more foreginer (e.g., Schwarzer), then everyone can be registered for PL football, but one foreigner will still have to be cut from the CL squad.

Zouma probably won't be registered for CL then assuming no serious early injuries to any defenders. Ivan will be our utility man in defence and if seriously needed we can call up a youngster.

Zoowraa   

Few are questioning Costa, but he can't reasonably be expected to carry the attack by himself. And few are claiming that Drogba can't contribute - the questions are how much can he contribute, and for how long. Personally, I think that they're perfectly legitimate questions/concerns given that the guy who ran around against us last season, and during the world cup, was a shadow of the Drogba we knew. And Torres is, and will remain, a waste of space. We've improved over last season, but to say 'massively' I think is a fair stretch, tbh. Having said that, I hope you're right.

In general I agree with you, but just on the highlighted pointed, thats exactly what he did last season. Last season the main back up to him was Adrian, a player I think Atletico have just sold and Villa who has also gone.

Whilst the likes of Koke, Arda, Garcia all chipped in with goals. It was literally a one man attack. We also have the added factor of goals from Hazard,Oscar, Schurrle etc who will outscore the attacking Atletico attacking midfielders over a season imo.

The flipside is, I felt Costa was flogged to death last season as he played virtually every match which probably contributed to his injury niggles/form at the tail end of the season.

If he stays fit throughout the season, I have no real worries. But its a risky strategy putting all our eggs in this basket, any niggling injuries and we will be in a spot of bother.

Edited by Zoowraa

jones   

Few are questioning Costa, but he can't reasonably be expected to carry the attack by himself. And few are claiming that Drogba can't contribute - the questions are how much can he contribute, and for how long. Personally, I think that they're perfectly legitimate questions/concerns given that the guy who ran around against us last season, and during the world cup, was a shadow of the Drogba we knew. And Torres is, and will remain, a waste of space. We've improved over last season, but to say 'massively' I think is a fair stretch, tbh. Having said that, I hope you're right.

If few are questioning Costa, then people's opinions have dramatically changed the last days. Or it is just that the ones who do have a "very high voice" in here. Regarding Drogba, I think you are highlighting my point: people have verys trong opinions (usually concerns) based on very few performances. If Drogba played for a ****** team against Europe's second best defence for two games and was inefficient, what does that tell you? That exactly. And to me ha was great coming off the bench to help IC come back from 0-1 to 2-1 in the first WC game. That a 36 year old looks jaded in June/July is also of no surprise to me. I saw the same games as you, and did not watch any other Galatasaray games this season other than the ones against Real Madrid, where I thought he looked surprisingly good. But I remember a player who was fantastic two years ago. No, his season was not the best, but his top level was world class. I fail to believe that in two years time, he is suddenly a player of little use to us (as you cannot argue against that the majority in here seems convinced about). And I feel very certain that the ones who have watched a lot of his games (Mourinho being one of them), certainly does not think so.

Costa is for me a massive upgrade on Ba. Drogba is at least a like-for like replacement of Eto'o on the pitch. A massive replacement off-pitch. Torres is same old. We usually play with one striker. This for me, is a massive upgrade. I see that I may be in a minority here, but that is why I wrote my post. I just disagree with people's concerns. Do we have a better forward line than City? No, but we have a better manager, a better captain, a more efficient style of play etc. Can our squad, including our forward line, look better? Yes, of course. But I don't think you need to paint everything that is not perfect black. Rome was not built in a year. We are title contenders, if not favourites. Next year, we will be even better.

Edited by jones

jones   

Zouma probably won't be registered for CL then assuming no serious early injuries to any defenders. Ivan will be our utility man in defence and if seriously needed we can call up a youngster.

Agree with you on this. It is only six games (until we can re-register), and he looks the likely candidate to miss out.

So to me, we actually have 1 1/2 strikers (maybe 2, if DD stands up), and that will be what kills us this season, if anything does. Possibly Jose is trying to deflect attention away from any new striker negotiations we're actually involved In atm? Maybe Bamford isn't going out on loan after all (he's now slotted into the U21's squad, and is playing - at least he did the other day)? I certainly hope that something is happening.

How many points can we advance on last years 82 now that we have 1 and a half strikers this season rather than half a striker and Ba who was never played.

And what happens if Drogba gets the Ba treatment this season ;)

Zoowraa   

And get treated like Ba??????

Clearly he has a brain.

Just because that happened to Ba, it dont mean it would have happened to Lukaku. Rightly or wrongly, JM clearly didn't fancy Ba much and probably thought he was a bit too one dimensional (I agree that Ba was under used)

Lukaku offers a much more direct raw pace than Ba. I have no doubts that had Lukaku stuck around last season, he would have got a run of games at some point.

How many points can we advance on last years 82 now that we have 1 and a half strikers this season rather than half a striker and Ba who was never played.

No idea. Care to make a prediction?......:).

By the way - which was the 'half striker', Torres or Eto'o?

We are title contenders, if not favourites. Next year, we will be even better.

As I said earlier, I hope that you're right. But let's get this season out of the way, before we worry about how good we'll be the season after.