• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

GURJ SS   

According to lots of people here, there is a big difference between scoring goals anywhere other than the Premier League. However, that doesn't stop those same people saying we should buy this one, or that one, from other leagues. Nor does it stop the club (or any other club) buying players unproven in the Premier League. Some succeed; some don't. I'm just interested that whenever we talk about players we have, they're never good enough, or need to prove themselves elsewhere - and then when they do, their achievements get written-off because they weren't in the Prem. They simply can't win.

Bamford scored goals in League One, and in the Championship. He's English. He's shown himself to be an instinctive, natural goal scorer. We already own him. Therefore, he can't be good enough. And seriously, some of the names being bandied-around here make me laugh, when we write off one of our own without ever testing him at this level.

I agree 100%

If Bamford was playing for a rival, 2 things would happen; 1: We would all be saying he is a natural goal scorer and a talent we missed out on, after all Fowler was a natural goal scorer and he did well enough in the P.L. 2: He would have been a 3rd or 4th choice striker at his club.

We are too quick to look at other players, the likes of Rooney, Walcott and Sterling were given a chance for their team. Who knew them before they put on their owned club's shirts? I have friends who are Liverpool supporters and they didn't have a clue about Sterling, they were cursing Brendan for not buying someone, now they praise him for giving Sterling a chance.

With competition you get better. Terry and Lampard have said it in the past, that when the club got taken over they had to raise their game to stay in the squad. They also learned a great deal off the players around them, it's time we started giving at least 2 squad positions a season to our youth players.

cam4blue   

Anyone knows if Mourinho is admirer of Reus?? Do you think that Chelsea will be in transfer "battle" for him? It would be crazy if they won't be...

Reus will most likely be moving next year, and I would be surprised if we weren't in the mix at that point. Excellent player.

it's time we started giving at least 2 squad positions a season to our youth players.

We have.

GURJ SS   

We have.

I mean the main squad. No youth defender, Zouma was signed but hasn't shown anything that our own youth can't do. No midfielder or striker either. Real slots in the squad is what I'm talking about, where they can challenge directly and don't have to wait till 3/4 big names are out the team before getting on the bench.

Anyone knows if Mourinho is admirer of Reus?? Do you think that Chelsea will be in transfer "battle" for him? It would be crazy if they won't be...

Naturally enough I don't, but realistically how could he not be?

Reus will most likely be moving next year....

To Bayern I fear.

Edited by Bridgejunky

cam4blue   

I mean the main squad. No youth defender,

Ake and Christensen are in the main squad this year. Ake will probably see a decent amount of football this year, covering the LB and CM roles.

Real slots in the squad is what I'm talking about, where they can challenge directly and don't have to wait till 3/4 big names are out the team before getting on the bench

That's not really the reality of the club; or any big club TBH.

cam4blue   

To Bayern I fear.

They will certainly be in the mix too. Real shame for Dortmund if they lose another player to them though. I suppose the hope is that Reus is either tempted by the idea of challenging himself overseas or feels some sort of empathy with Dortmund (of the kind that Lewandowski and Gotze clearly don't) and refuses to go to their domestic rivals. He won't be short of options anyway.

Hernandez would have been perfect but people don't seem to rate him much.

Because we complain about Torres' link-up play. I've not seen that much of Hernandez, but I can't even remember how often he actually ran past the ball and fell over, when he was dribbling. That's how bad he is...

(To be fair, the lad has a knack for scoring. But if we're willing to forgive everything else just for that: -> Bamford.)

Reus will most likely be moving next year, and I would be surprised if we weren't in the mix at that point. Excellent player.

That's what I'm hoping for. Although, the way the Bayern bosses have been blabbing about his release clause, I can't imagine them not being extremely sure of a deal.

Although I don't see Reus fitting in with Guardiola's ball-hogging style. Goetze can barely get a game (and he's a bit more versatile, IMO).

Luckily, it looks like Barcelona will be out of the race. That's where I would've expected Reus to end up.

Welbeck? Certainly would be tempting.

He's the only English striker I'd even consider. But if Welbeck had a clue where the goal was, he would never be on his way out. For a striker, he's absolutely miserable at scoring.

Harvz   

Can't stand Welbeck. First time I saw him in person was at the U-21s in Denmark. He looked so clueless whenever the ball came to him with his back to goal. He's improved, and does seem to have a knack for a goal or two, but he just reminds me of Heskey in his movements. No thanks.

I do wonder though if JM could resist the option to turn to Didier ahead of Pat in that situation? That's an especially tempting alternative perhaps when JM is trying to snatch a win from a drawing position. Chuck Didier on and then, if he does the trick, utilise his defensive strengths to help hold on.

For what it's worth, I don't believe that there is enough to Patrick's game to make him a good backup striker in the sense of being the man who will start if the first choice can't. If Jose also feels that way, and if it's likely to be Didier who will be used as the second striker on most occasions, then we'd have to question the value of keeping Pat watching most weekends when he could be playing elsewhere.

By the way, has it emerged that it is Jose who is stalling on a loan move for PB? Good news of a sort for the lad if true I suppose.

I'm going to play devils advocate here (as like you I'm not sure Bamford is ready and isn't at the level yet to be given a first team slot, IMO) but you could go down the line of thought that Drogba won't be able to bring much more than what Costa would, so brining Drogba on in a situation where Costa is being given nothing doesn't provide the opposition with anything new to think about. However, that said if we see a shift to 3-5-2/4-4-2 in order to play both Drogba and Costa together (I mean a shift to one of the formations when we're chasing a game) then the two of them may be better although you could then say the same for Bamford being given a free role in the two and have Costa/Drogba do the donkey work.

As for Bamford's position I think the club are obviously holding him back for a reason, wether that be in order to see what happens with Torres/squad mak-up/awaiting for a PL team to make a move but I think if the club didn't have any thoughts whatsoever about retaining him I think they would've probably have sorted something out by now (this is just my guesswork).

On a side note, are people actually advocating Danny flipping Welbeck as a potential signing? Oh dear, what a waste of money that would be, the only thing he can do to a satisfactory standard is put in a shift in out wide, as for his shooting skills they are Kalouish and whilst I know we have Torres knocking about at the moment and most want rid at all costs it's no reason to go back substandard squad players.

Edited by sebcfc