• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Against Liverpool, Manchester City had a striker injured (Negredo), a striker coming back from injury (Aguero), and a striker who had to go off injured (Dzeko). It's just as well they had another striker (Jovetic) to put them out of sight when it came to the game itself.

They are the Champions and arguably our main rivals this season if we want to win the league. They're in a good position because they have options, particularly when it comes to Aguero and Jovetic, who can play in the support role.

If we want to compete with them over the distance then we need options too. The 'make do' mentality won't cut it. It didn't last season, and it won't this time round either. Fabregas probably could play as a 'False 9' every so often, Schurrle probably could fill in now and again too. But then that weakens us elsewhere on the pitch, and subsequently - our bench.

Two games in, and we're already having to call upon Drogba (who I'm sure will do an admirable job but surely must still be getting used to the pace of things) and put a striker on the bench who hasn't played a single minute of top flight football.

Sure, it might work out, but it's an unnecessary risk and one that our main rival wouldn't dare take.

Against Liverpool, Manchester City had a striker injured (Negredo), a striker coming back from injury (Aguero), and a striker who had to go off injured (Dzeko). It's just as well they had another striker (Jovetic) to put them out of sight when it came to the game itself.

They are the Champions and arguably our main rivals this season if we want to win the league. They're in a good position because they have options, particularly when it comes to Aguero and Jovetic, who can play in the support role.

If we want to compete with them over the distance then we need options too. The 'make do' mentality won't cut it. It didn't last season, and it won't this time round either. Fabregas probably could play as a 'False 9' every so often, Schurrle probably could fill in now and again too. But then that weakens us elsewhere on the pitch, and subsequently - our bench.

Two games in, and we're already having to call upon Drogba (who I'm sure will do an admirable job but surely must still be getting used to the pace of things) and put a striker on the bench who hasn't played a single minute of top flight football.

Sure, it might work out, but it's an unnecessary risk and one that our main rival wouldn't dare take.

Agree 100%

I still don't get the clamour for Remy or Bony. We're one day and a set of unconfirmed media reports of an injury to Costa on and the picture and tone has changed dramatically. Fickle much? Top class cover just doesn't come from the QPR or Swansea players - it didn't yesterday and it doesn't today. They'd do a job but then so would have Demba Ba and other than well wishes upon his departure, I don't remember many comments about being disappointed he was off.

With Remy or Bony you'd go into the Everton away game and probably have to start talking about having Ramires in the XI to tighten things up and set your stall out negatively to not lose. As Box of Tricks has just said, Manchester City wouldn't do that, why should we have to make do with a false 9 or another square peg in a round hole?

Zoowraa   

I still don't get the clamour for Remy or Bony. We're one day and a set of unconfirmed media reports of an injury to Costa on and the picture and tone has changed dramatically. Fickle much? Top class cover just doesn't come from the QPR or Swansea players - it didn't yesterday and it doesn't today. They'd do a job but then so would have Demba Ba and other than well wishes upon his departure, I don't remember many comments about being disappointed he was off.

With Remy or Bony you'd go into the Everton away game and probably have to start talking about having Ramires in the XI to tighten things up and set your stall out negatively to not lose. As Box of Tricks has just said, Manchester City wouldn't do that, why should we have to make do with a false 9 or another square peg in a round hole?

The reality is that the two players in question are better than the calibre of their current club. In this instance, both are proven in the league and both have proved they can play for bigger clubs.

Something about Bony still does not convince me, nothing to do with his club though. Remy would be my preferred option of the two.

Who cares what city would do. City lost away at Villa and Cardiff last season, maybe if they were a little shrewd in certain matches last season they would have wrapped up the title with ease instead of relying on Liverpool to blow it and considerable help from us along the way.

Edited by Zoowraa

paulw66   

Buy Remy and swap Cech for Falcao.

Boom.

oh, and Torres to Milan

Edited by paulw66

Who cares what city would do.

If we cared what City did, we'd be blowing them out of the water right now. They're the main beneficiaries of our ineptitude.

Edited by Box of Tricks

The reality is that the two players in question are better than the calibre of their current club. In this instance, both are proven in the league and both have proved they can play for bigger clubs.

Yes true, but still of lower calibre than we need in my opinion albeit. I'll just mention it again, Demba Ba did it in a Newcastle shirt and there was hardly any weeping when he left Chelsea for Turkey.

Who cares what city would do. City lost away at Villa and Cardiff last season, maybe if they were a little shrewd in certain matches last season they would have wrapped up the title with ease instead of relying on Liverpool to blow it and considerable help from us along the way.

We were never in the race, to think otherwise is folly. And regardless of how they won it, they still did while scoring a stupid number of goals. If they hadn't become champions it wouldn't have been because of the strikers and their return. Which - conversely - is why we were never in the race; our strikers were terrible.

Edited by Hugh Jars 99

paulw66   

Demba Ba was criminalyl underused last season,

Is Bony any better than Ba? Bony always seems to be linked with top clubs but I don't understand why, I've watched him several times and don't understand what all the hype is about.

Man City have FOUR top quality strikers; we seem to think just having one is enough and his back-up being average/over-the-hill players the ideal scenario.

If Bony is better than Ba, then it's only marginally so. If we do go for someone like him as a back up, it begs the question, why did we sell Ba? Criminally under-used last season, and would have been a better 2nd option than either Torres or Drogba this season.

As you say, Man City have four top strikers, and they all get game time. Whilst all of them no doubt believe they should be nailed-on starters, none of them seem to be causing ructions from the bench. If a team is winning, you can usually keep everybody happy (except Torres, of course, who was famously quoted as saying that he couldn't care less if we won or lost when he wasn't playing... great "team player"!!!)

This season, after a couple of seasons without one, we finally have a striker who can lead the line... but just like the last main striker we bought, this one has suffered hamstring injuries in the past, played on while not fully recovered/fit, and has now suffered another hamstring injury. To back him up we have a 36 year old former talisman who may have the odd game-changing performance still in him, but you wouldn't want him to start 8 or 10 games in a row, and a busted flush (who was already a busted flush when we signed him) who is more likely to hit the corner flag than the back of the net from 10m out with no-one left to beat.

We used to manage to keep Drogba and Anelka happy, whilst still giving Kalou game time (who, let's not forget, often managed to get vital goals from off the bench!). Compared to what we have now, that was an embarrassment of riches.

Who thought Costa backed up by Drogba and Torres was good enough? Even if we do only play with one up front 90% of the time, whoever is leading the line must be being pushed by someone just as good. If Costa is a 9/10, then Drogba is a 6/10 with potential to sometimes be an 8/10 and Torres is a 3/10 who might rise to the dizzying heights of a 5/10. Simply not good enough.

We've put all our eggs in one basket... and the handle is already starting to come off!