• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Frightening how wrong you can be reading stuff into people's names!

For the longest time I thought it was Simpleton. Easy mistake.

How many games did he miss for his club last season? Barely any. He got 36 goals.

Tailed off quite a bit towards the end of the season - 16 of those goals came before November. Cumulative effect? I am hypothesising a bit.

Being out for a couple of weeks once or maybe twice a season isn't a liability at all. Especially not if he gets 30 plus goals. It's not like he is always missing half a season with injury (he isn't Van Persie).

Once or twice a season is a liability in its very nature isn't it?

There is clearly a plan, but the club are keeping quiet about it because it's no ones business but the club. As I said, they aren't half as niave or stupid as people seem to think. Do we really think with a manager as meticulous as Jose this hadn't crossed their mind?

Oh James, come on - if you need proof that there is a naivety then why go into 2013/14 season with that strikeforce and get to 3 days before the deadline this season with what we currently have? There is clearly a plan? Nothing clear about that to me, mate.

Costa, Destro and Drogba isn't a bad set of striking options for me. I suspect that's what it will be.

Other than Costa - who may or may not be a little injury prone - Destro and Drogba is little improvement on Ba and Torres from last year. You don't know how good Destro is (as you have repeatedly forgot what "that guy from Roma's name" is) or what he could do in the Premiership and Drogba is a past his sell-by date relic. If this is the "plan" you speak of you're basing it completely on unknowns.

Kezza   

It's laughable really, we finally look like we have found a striker who will score goals then he goes and gets injured.

It's always a scenario that you have to take into account. We are found wanting by this because the club didn't entertain any contingency. Otherwise it would have been a natural thing to expect and accept.

ripz   

a strike force of Eto'o , Ba, Lukaku doesn't sound too bad now does it lol

Lukaku is an idiot, he'd be starting for us now but he doesn't even have the guts to fight for a place and walks out like a grumpy baby. Selling Ba for about £5m was a really bad move, he did well for us. Eto'o .. well that's a shame, I liked him a lot but if him and Mou had a bit of tension over the age thing then he was going to get released no matter what.

Seems like the only real solution right now is to spend the $$ on a Falcao loan, but £15m- £20m all in for 1 year loan seems a lot.

Edited by ripz

The biggest mistake Mourinho made is that he wants to wait Torres to leave first before we try to do anything else. Why should the club wait for him? It's always an uphill task to get rid of Torres coz of his high salary. The fact Milan interest now just coz they sold Balotelli too late without a plan to replace him. If they have time, I doubt they'll ever want Torres. Whether he'll go now is still a huge question mark.

We should just buy another striker and then tell Torres to either go or rot in reserve. It's not that we haven't done that before. Malouda did far more for this club than Torres and we made him train with kids for a whole year!

If we act earlier, we'll have more option. We could've sign Jackson before he renews with Porto. We would have better chance on Destro before Roma sells Benatia. We could have sign Mandzukic before Atletico did. We could've get Balotelli before Liverpool did. We could try for Falcao before Real got Di Maria money. Hell, we could even keep Ba as a option as he's clearly better than Torres!!!!!

If there's a plan for the club, that's not a very good plan. We're acting like Arsenal, scrambling in the last few days to find players. Still, it would be a nightmare for the club if Costa injury is serious and we call off the Torres deal(or Torres refuse Milan) and buy nobody.

Edited by terrychoi

I get the impression that we have a definitive strategy but it's based on the club's assumption that we have a lot of collateral to play with (umpteen loan players) and we have a bit of money to splurge.

I think we were originally planning to have Costa, Torres and Drogba as strikers - BUT were open to Torres leaving if we could offload him and secure a replacement.

I don't think we're far off, but we're relying heavily on being able to get a good enough 2nd striker as Costa has just gone and done his hamstring.

Destro, Falcao, Cavani...

Kezza   

Sky Sports say they have spoken to Chelsea, who say Costa has a 'minor musicale injury' which they are monitoring over next few days.

Maybe not as bad as feared.

That I would fear the most. It means the club thinks it's ok to not buy another striker. Mark me. If we don't sign another striker now we'll do our usual buy a stop gap player this time a striker in Jan.

#Milan. Finito il vertice tra #Galliani e gli agenti di #Torres. Sorridenti all'uscita I volti degli spagnoli. <Siamo positivi>. #gds

After the summit between #Galliani and agents #Torres. Exit smiling faces of the Spaniards. <We are positive>. #gds

Sounds like meeting between Galliani and Antonio Sanz is positive. Looks like Costa injury doesn't affect Torres move.

ripz   

the Gazzeta dello sport was reporting that Torres has agreed to join them, they just need to sort wages, so the above tweet sounds like a good breakthrough.

It was saying Milan will pay £10m for Torres but we'll give him £6m pay off. Still .... better to get £4m for him than pay him £4m in subsidised wages to be out on loan, getting his wages off the books will be great too.

I get the impression that we have a definitive strategy but it's based on the club's assumption that we have a lot of collateral to play with (umpteen loan players) and we have a bit of money to splurge.

When have we ever found loan collateral to be to our advantage?

Remember we are loaning kids on £15 - £20k a week to clubs who pay their captain and start striker £20k or less. You don't earn many favours doing that, even if we pay half or more of the wages.