• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

How dare you have an opinion!

Which is very rarely correct. Or so my Mrs says.

Ever since Emenalo joined the club we have been extremely efficient and clean in our transfer dealings. Seems to me like we have a system in place that really works. Whether that is down to him or not I do not know but his influence seems to be quite positive judging by the the last few transfer windows.

Edited by Ibn Battuta

Remy won't be another Ba. He's better than Ba.

There's a lot of under-appreciation for Ba around. Probably because he was utilised very strictly as José's Plan B (or C?), almost only for occasions where we had tried everything else and wanted to lump balls into the box for someone to get on the end of.

Since this year that role will be under Drogba's purview, Remy (if it is Remy) will have far more opportunity to impress as the main rotation striker and - whether he's necessarily better than Ba or not - I think he will make more of an impact.

There's a lot of under-appreciation for Ba around. Probably because he was utilised very strictly as José's Plan B (or C?), almost only for occasions where we had tried everything else and wanted to lump balls into the box for someone to get on the end of.

Since this year that role will be under Drogba's purview, Remy (if it is Remy) will have far more opportunity to impress as the main rotation striker and - whether he's necessarily better than Ba or not - I think he will make more of an impact.

Problem with Ba is that he is very unconventional. A freakish player that can score from freakish angles but who can also look quite average doing basic stuff. If we have learned anything from Drogbas career with us then it is that those type of players take a while to appreciate and really understand.

At the end of the day Ba wants to play week in week out, that's why he went, not because he was rubbish.

Edited by Ibn Battuta

Oh I rated Ba, don't get me wrong. I just think Remy is marginally better - and will definitely have more impact. The reasons you mention are definitely valid IMO too, though I think Drogba will have more of an impact than people think.

Total respect to Ba too, for wanting to go and get regular starts. Seems Jose wanted to keep him (if he had, Remy likely wouldn't have joined), but he wanted to go. So like Torres, fair play for leaving to get regular starts.

Remy will likely leave eventually for the same reasons. But we'll get a good two or three years out of him IMO, and probably make a profit given how little we are paying for him.

Edited by James Prescott

Can't believe people think Rémy will be another Ba (who actually did very well when coming on in games). Rémy is a much better all round player than Ba. 20 goals in 40 games in England. That's an excellent record. Moan away all you like, he's an astute acquisition who is PL proven, London based already, good age at 27 and at £8m is great business.

P.S

Been harping on about him for 2 years now and had him joining this window at 16/1 so ;)

Remy won't be another Ba. He's better than Ba. He'll be another Anelka IMO, a genuine alternative and a different type of player who can play out wide as well as up front. I suspect he'll be here a while - he'll only leave if he wants to be first choice somewhere else. He will get his fair share of games because of the number of fixtures we play, and not just in domestic cups either - especially with the CL group we have, he's bound to get games.

Plus, he's so cheap even if it doesn't come off we won't have wasted a huge amount.

People who think he's not good enough or a cheap rushed option, who would you have had? Bony is no better IMO, and Destro (who was our first choice to replace Torres by all accounts) wasn't allowed to leave.

Maybe next season Destro will come in and Drogba leave and then we'll have Costa, Destro and Remy, which wouldn't be bad either.

I think a lot of people are underestimating Remy. His goal ratio in one every two starts, so I would say he'll comfortably get 10-15 goals this season, which is precisely what you want from a second/third choice striker. Drogba will get about the same, and if Costa gets 20-30 goals we'll have at least 40 goals from our strikers - which is double what we got from them in total last year.

Some people really are cynical about pretty much every player we sign, and just don't trust the club at all. Looks like they've got it spot on with Costa and Fabregas. And Remy is proven in the Prem. Maybe we should trust the club for once.

Oh and here's something funny - Sky Sports are saying 'it's not all bad news for Chelsea', as if Torres leaving is bad news. Made me laugh.

Think you are right, reminds me a lot of Anelka and in my opinion an upgrade on Ba.

Edited by supa luca vialli

Scooba   

Also people are forgetting that next year we will be after yet another striker. Remy is a player who can take up 3rd spot in the striker list and still play often as back up or in another position. At the age he is he will be a very good to have in the squad for a good few years. This time next year we could end up with Costa, Bony/Destro and Remy.

For those saying that Jose kicked BA out of the club.

BA, just yesterday I think it was, said that Jose asked him to stay at the club and said he would get a lot more chances this year, that the situation would be different for him.

Ba said thanks, but he wanted to move on.

Not blaming Ba, he should have been used more last season, but if he was asked to stay and told he would get more chances, you can't just throw out "We threw BA away" because it was him he wanted to leave.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/chelsea-transfers-fernando-torres-need-4124962

I could have stayed. I would have had a better position this season because I spoke to Jose and he was impressed with the end of the season I had. He told me I would have a better position this season, but I just wanted to go and enjoy.”

Happy with Ba, Happy with Remy ...... But over the moon that Torres has gone and we won't have that sinking feeling of another dire performance from him.

The relief is palpable akin to such moments as:

Dorothy and Toto escaping the Wicked Witch Of the West, The Magnificent Seven defeating the bandit Calvera, and Baloo surviving an epic encounter with Shere Khan. Feel like bursting into song, "The Bare Necessities' anyone.

Zoowraa   

Can't believe people think Rémy will be another Ba (who actually did very well when coming on in games). Rémy is a much better all round player than Ba. 20 goals in 40 games in England. That's an excellent record. Moan away all you like, he's an astute acquisition who is PL proven, London based already, good age at 27 and at £8m is great business.

P.S

Been harping on about him for 2 years now and had him joining this window at 16/1 so ;)

Congrats on the bet. I know you have consistently mentioned him as a potential signing since his Marseille days. Top shout.