• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Once again you hit the nail on the head. Whoever comes in, there is a knock on effect on the squad as a whole. It's not so much the unused players that are the problem, it's those on the immediate fringes of the first team.

And it is the fringes that need padding out, not the first XI being beefed up.

We need 2 upgrades or equivalents of Salah, and 2 playable CMs and one more playable defender. Nothing wrong at all with our first 11 and next 6 players.

Bison   

The problem with swapping Reus for Salah is that either Schurrle or Willian are not going to accept being a 5th choice as look where that gets you - the odd Capital One Cup game and maybe the bench if you're lucky. As for the rest of the squad I would say in order improve and not stagnant, then I would be looking at - CM, CB, 3rd CF and AM (but only if we're looking to get someone of the quality of Reus in).

I don't see it that way. Willian can and does player in two positions (CAM/RW) - and I'd personally like to see him play CAM more often - and is also capable of playing LW but Hazard has made the position his own. Willian wouldn't be 5th choice for every position and neither would Schurrle. Salah doesn't feature because he's 5th choice, he doesn't play because he just isn't good enough.

Hazard, Willian, Oscar, Reus, Schurrle = 5 players for 3 positions. Rotation depending on form and fitness and genuine competition for places. Sounds like the perfect mix for me.

And it is the fringes that need padding out, not the first XI being beefed up.

We need 2 upgrades or equivalents of Salah, and 2 playable CMs and one more playable defender. Nothing wrong at all with our first 11 and next 6 players.

But then you're forced to rotate players. and is a lack of rotating not a part of our current success?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jose-mourinhos-back-basics-approach-4635435?

Edited by Orange Blue

I don't see it that way. Willian can and does player in two positions (CAM/RW) - and I'd personally like to see him play CAM more often - and is also capable of playing LW but Hazard has made the position his own. Willian wouldn't be 5th choice for every position and neither would Schurrle. Salah doesn't feature because he's 5th choice, he doesn't play because he just isn't good enough.

Hazard, Willian, Oscar, Reus, Schurrle = 5 players for 3 positions. Rotation depending on form and fitness and genuine competition for places. Sounds like the perfect mix for me.

Good point about Schurrle. Having four AMs is not enough. Bringing a Moses or additional Salah (wtf) won't do us any good at all. If we can't use either if them today, bringing more of their quality would be pointless.

We need more AMs who are good enough to play. Not less. Having five is better than four.

With the four we have today, and the amount of football they'll be forced to play, I wonder how good they'll look in April.

Whilst, Willian can play CM he isn't the greatest there and he also needs the team to be playing a 433 formation for him to work. For me if we sign Reus then I reckon Schurrle will leave and while I think the lack of playing time would be the main reason I also think the following considerations would be apart of it - 1) he raises capital, with Reus's clause and Schurrle's value by shifting Schurrle we will cover a large amount of Reus's fee while it would also free up space on the wage bill 2) players such as T. Hazard, Moses and to a lesser extent Piazon and Boga (although I've got high hopes for Boga in the future) are all capable of playing the "Salah" role, or even the 6th AM role owing to the amount of time that position in the squad gets you 3) If Schurrle ends up 5th choice at Chelsea he will lose his Germany place 4) Jose doesn't rotate enough. If we had Claudio or the FSW in charge still then yes, maybe he would get enough games but with Jose it's unlikely 5) Willian is the more versitile player.

Personally I really really like Schurrle and in an ideal world I it would be brilliant to keep him and buy Reus, however I just don't see us keeping 5 players of that quality happy for 3 positions. While, if Schurrle does step up and find some form then I see Willian coming under pressure or it will just mean we would pass on Reus (this is all hypothetical obviously) as I can't see us with Reus, Schurrle and Willian accepting the 5th choice position.

As for Droy's comments about just needing squad players I agree that the squad could do with more numbers but it needs to be balanced with top signings. For me we should learn lessens from the 07/08 season and Man City in 12/13 and 14/15 as whilst it is good to have good squad players come in you also need to have some top players come in to keep everyone on their toes. So for me yes a squad CF is fine as they will just replace Drogba but in my opinion we need a player of starting quality for both CM and CB in order to keep things ticking over while we are also light in those positions. As for AM the only reason I would consider getting getting a Reus in, is because he is one of the few players on the market that would improve our AM without blowing our entire years budget.

Edited by sebcfc

But then you're forced to rotate players. and is a lack of rotating not a part of our current success?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jose-mourinhos-back-basics-approach-4635435?

Current success and traditional failure come march.

Every year we start with not enough players. Every year we forget this as a steady run with the same players gets us results.

Then every year we fade desperately either CL or PL or often both as we find it impossible to play 2 big games a week from February on.

Scooba   

Robert Firmino - the solution to our problem RW/3rd ST next season?

Robert Firmino - the solution to our problem RW/3rd ST next season?

I was thinking it may have been worth taking him last summer but now his price has probably doubled due to his selection by Brazil (although that obviously makes it easier for work permits).

However, when looking at the squad I want us to sort out another starting quality CB and CM before we focus on any other area. As for AM I think that the clubs first target will be Reus due to his exit fee but if he couldn't be had then Firmino would be a good option. The only problem I see with Firmino is some will say he could be our 3rd striker however I'm unsure a forward line of Costa, Remy and Firmino would work because for the third striker we need them to have more of the attributes of Costa than Remy as we play with only one up front and the third option will only really play when Costa can't.

Atalanta's general director Pierpaolo Marino: "We've followed Kramaric, but now he's close to sign for Chelsea." #CFC (@GugliCannavale)

Never heard of him before. Just checked his stats, 24 Appearances - 27 goals scored in all competition. Anyone seen him play ?

Edited by AnniHilat0R