• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Is Reus really that good anyway?

Reus is a top 5-6 attacking player in the world. He’s slightly better than Hazard offensively (in terms of end product and actual shooting and tracking back quite well). Set-pieces delivery is on par with Fabregas.
He works hard without the ball - Klopp uses the ‘full press’ method to recover the ball - with pace, power, and directness. He'll take us to the next level - I just don't want it to be at the expense of Schurrle or Willian both whom I quite like.

He's not home-grown.

Good point. Which would make a Coleman signing quite curious.

Expensive, non-HG and not immediately first choice here.

He's not home-grown.

Yep, you're right- not sure why but I thought he'd been around a lot longer and that there was some flexibility for FAI and Scottish players.

Doubt we'll see many Irish or Scottish players coming through in the PL in the next few years.

Scooba   

Reus is a top 5-6 attacking player in the world. he's slightly better than Hazard offensively (in terms of end product and actual shooting and tracking back quite well). Set-pieces delivery is on par with Fabregas.

He works hard without the ball - Klopp uses the full press method to recover the ball - with pace, power, and directness. He'll take us to the next level - I just don't want it to be at the expense of Schurrle or Willian both whom I quite like.

Well, he won't get in ahead of Hazard or Oscar. I know Reus has got a good shot on him but he's not at the same level as Hazard yet anytime I've seen him. His dribbling and passing seems fairly ordinary, almost Schurrle-esq kind of player.

I hope Jose doesnt do something stupid reguarding Cech, if he wants to go,fine then sell him abroad, BUT UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SELL HIM TO ARSENAL OR LIVERPOOL (unless its for 30 million+), but dont help them out

paulw66   

Don't see the point in Coleman. Not like we need a right back with Brana, Dave and even Christiensen available there.

Would cost a fortune and not even sure he is a good defender. Great going forward, but we have two of the best 1 on 1 full backs in the league

Scooba   

Droy hit the nail on the head with Coleman ^^^. Man U or the likes will be in for him at £30m+ and our name will be there to put pressure on the buyer. We aren't going to sign him.

Yeah, I don't see why we would sign Coleman unless we want to convert Bane to CB but I can't see that. If we want to add to the back of imagine it would be a CB and that would be one that is cheap and of a reasonable age.

Flinkers   

Is Reus really that good anyway? He's good but hasn't stood out much for me anytime I've watched him live (Flinkers or any other German posters have a different perspective?). Scores the odd great goal but so did Federico Macheda. Ability/technically he's not on the same level as Hazard. There will be other players who are as good as Reus but a smarter buy out there.

Reus, for me, is a great player and at €25m you can't really say no to bidding for him. There are some caveats though.

1. He's another player who prefers to work in from wide left (Hazard's position). He plays in the other two AM positions and as a second striker from time to time but that's not where he usually lines up for Germany or Dortmund.

2. He's not very effective at the press. He's about as good at it as Schürrle (not very) and certainly no Willian or Oscar in that regard IMO.

3. He's a bit of a bunny and he tends to go to ground easily. In a way it's understandable, considering how he's targetted and due to his injury record.

As a like for like replacement for either Schürrle or Willian, he puts up slightly stronger numbers than Schürrle (when playing regularly) and way better numbers than Willian. He's got good speed but is not as fast as either. He's definitely not as robust as our players. Where Reus is better is his game intelligence, he just seems to be able to move into the right positions to hurt the opposition either with a cutting pass or a goal.

If I were ranking the attacking midfield (including Reus), I'd say Hazard, Oscar, Reus/Willian, Schürrle.....Salah. The problem we'd have is keeping all of them happy considering Oscar and Hazard are rarely rotated, Willian seems to be nailing down that right wing spot and Schürrle and Salah are making up the numbers.

If Reus comes, I'd be anticipating at least 2 of the current players looking for moves before the year was out. Also, after 4 serious injuries to his ankle joints in the space of less than 6 months, I'd be wanting pretty strenuous tests done on those areas before signing him.

Edited by Flinkers

Scooba   

Thanks Flinkers. Interesting points. I agree that at 25m euros we would have to go for him but also would want to ensure we're not buying someone who will spend more time with the physio than his team mates on the pitch.