• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

xCELERYx   

^^

The trouble is Dave, as difficult as it is to get up to speed, whenever he's thrown someone in they've been diabolical, Schurlle for example was lucky to get a half he was so utterly useless.

For all his faults, the Ramires injury is the one that's really hurt.

To also be fair though, it can also be difficult for some particular players to just fire when they do get a chance. Someone like Schurrle needs some regular minutes to get into a groove, but to also get a good understanding built around the other players he's around. He's been fairly dire this season because he's been unable to string regular games or minutes together.

Harvz   

To also be fair though, it can also be difficult for some particular players to just fire when they do get a chance. Someone like Schurrle needs some regular minutes to get into a groove, but to also get a good understanding built around the other players he's around. He's been fairly dire this season because he's been unable to string regular games or minutes together.

Not so sure about that. Not sure how you can claim it with any confidence either. What defines a player that needs a string of games as opposed to those that just hit the ground running? He did just fine at the world cup as a super sub.

With schurrlie id of thought its down to the fact he has been injured on off all season after a long season including a word cup, hopefully in the back end of the season he will come good, you never know it might work out well for us that he has been injured early in the season and ill as could possibily leave him fresher for run in this season and hopefully firing once he gets a run of games to get his fitness/sharpness back.

If we buy anyone now, they need to be FA trained.

Now who can think of an upgrade on Cahill who is FA trained? John Terry?

It isn't an upgrade on Cahill we want. In fact what we really need is more Englishmen who are nearly good enough.

There's not a lot to disagree with here, but I don't see it as much of a response to my suggestion that Cahill is the weakest member of the first XI* and the logical, most realisitically upgraded position. Of course squad composition makes that, or indeed any transfer at this point, more awkward. I'd describe Cahill in the exact terms you use- nearly good enough. But, I think despite numerous qualities, not quite there often enough. He's not diabolical, he doesn't deserve particularly harsh criticism and I think he's been a very good signing for the club, But I also think we could do better.

We won't be buying now, and I can't think of an FA-trained CB who'd be better than him (some might argue Pique, but I'm not sure). But I can think of a few FA-trained players who'd be good enough in other positions. Personally I'd be waving a massive cheque at James Milner right now.

* You might disagree, but unlike with Hart (who isn't good enough for us!) it's 100% established you're in a minority position on that!

schneiderlin is a homegrown player and plays in a position we could do with strengthening, would make sense for us to be looking at players like him as part of the reason we have a small squad is down to the amount of homegrown players we currently have, pogba is another obvious option.

Don't understand the fascination about getting Reus who plays as a No.10 or from the left….like Hazard. We need a non divvy left footed winger playing from the right. We opted for Salah for £12m when Griezmann was there for £24m. Double the price maybe but twice the player. Reus is a fantastic player but doesn't mean he'll fit especially when we've just committed ourselves to another 5 years of Oscar and most likely Hazard.

Some big changes in the summer.

Don't understand the fascination about getting Reus who plays as a No.10 or from the left….like Hazard. We need a non divvy left footed winger playing from the right. We opted for Salah for £12m when Griezmann was there for £24m. Double the price maybe but twice the player. Reus is a fantastic player but doesn't mean he'll fit especially when we've just committed ourselves to another 5 years of Oscar and most likely Hazard.

Some big changes in the summer.

Doubt you would have said that a year ago. Salah looked good before he joined.

Salah is best suited to a team essentially sitting deep and playing quick counter-attacking football.... we press and press and press (or at least, that's what we're meant to be doing) which forces our opponents to sit deep, thereby not allowing Salah to use his one weapon... his pace, as there is no space for him to attack. In our squad with the tactics Mourinho wishes to employ, he's a square peg in a round hole. Doesn't make him a bad player, just not what we currently need. The same goes for Cahill. When we played deep last season (and also under Rafa) he was good. Since we've started playing a slightly higher line and more pressing game, it has shown up the flaws in his technique. Again, it doesn't make him essentially a bad player, just not one suited to our current system/tactics.

No you're right….I said it over 18 months ago and then again in January.

https://twitter.com/Seb22/status/288797486062112771

Salah was never a good buy. Good games against us, great. Let's buy every player who plays well against us. Waste of £12m for someone who is barely good enough for our 3 XI.

Edited by El Nino Essien

Salah is best suited to a team essentially sitting deep and playing quick counter-attacking football.... we press and press and press (or at least, that's what we're meant to be doing) which forces our opponents to sit deep, thereby not allowing Salah to use his one weapon... his pace, as there is no space for him to attack. In our squad with the tactics Mourinho wishes to employ, he's a square peg in a round hole. Doesn't make him a bad player, just not what we currently need. The same goes for Cahill. When we played deep last season (and also under Rafa) he was good. Since we've started playing a slightly higher line and more pressing game, it has shown up the flaws in his technique. Again, it doesn't make him essentially a bad player, just not one suited to our current system/tactics.

I was a few sentences into writing essentially this, but reconsidered. I agree.

I doubt the way we currently play was always on the agenda, because too many of our recent buys (and many long standing squad members) aren't suited to it.

No you're right….I said it over 18 months ago and then again in January.

https://twitter.com/Seb22/status/288797486062112771

Salah was never a good buy. Good games against us, great. Let's buy every player who plays well against us. Waste of £12m for someone who is barely good enough for our 3 XI.

18 months ago and in January you were wrong. A change in tactics has made Salah a poor fit, on top of not adapting very well.

Salah, at the time was a good deal for a promising player. A loan to regain form/value and then a sale, we should recoup most of, if not all, the money. Still not a bad buy by any stretch.