• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

paulw66   

The irony that he has come via Swansea from VITESSE isn't lost !

True. Our link up proving it's worth. Not only a waste ground for our young players, but the one top player to come out of Vitesse ends up at our rivals.

When a magical player is playing for a rival we drool. When there's a slim chance he might sign suddenly we turn obnoxious, egoistic and arrogant saying no chance he succeed here. Lol. And when the rumuors pass we go back to admiration mode.

As far as I can see I'm the only one who doesn't seem to think Messi is the best player of all time. I don't even think he's the best player of his time.

So I'm not sure what your comment is supposed to mean at all.

GURJ SS   

In terms of technique, skill, finesse... Messi is the best in the world, simple as that. Ronaldo is a complete player like no one has ever seen, he has it all. However when it comes to outright ball control, Messi is unbeatable, he is also able to bring creativity to the team. He creates like a playmaker, dribbles like a winger, and his intelligence on the ball to make the right decision is right up there with the likes of Pirlo.

Ronaldo is a different type of player, it's like comparing Costa and Hazard. One is a out an out player, the other likes to link up with team mates and put a move together.

Signing Messi is a dream for any football fan, not just a Chelsea fan. Plus I would rather have Messi on a 5 year contract then Ronaldo.

Here's some goals and assists from Messi from this season.

Yep, "that" looks like someone who's lost it and wouldn't do well here. Yep. Really.

As for Bony, it is ironic the one player at Vitesse who looks like he would have broken through here if we bought him, is going to our rivals (despite Drogba's best efforts).

However, looking at the long-term view, I think he won't get enough games at City and might want out in the summer. And given his links to us via Drogba and previously with Vitesse, and that Jose is a fan apparently, and that he'd get more games here, it still wouldn't surprise me to see him here in future.

Well if Bony is going for £30m+, I think we're right not to get involved. If he was here, he would struggle to get past Remy let alone Costa (and before everyone jumps on me and says Remy doesn't play, well that's due to Jose not rotating).

cam4blue   

As far as I can see I'm the only one who doesn't seem to think Messi is the best player of all time. I don't even think he's the best player of his time.

When he retires I'd be amazed if Messi isn't considered among the top 10 greatest ever players. His record is phenomenal.

Of this time, it's between him and Ronaldo; Messi probably has the overall edge right now but if Ronaldo keeps up his current form then maybe it'll be him. Right now, at this moment, Ronaldo edges it. Both will probably be considered among the very greatest ever to play the game, and both are miles better than anyone who has laced up boots since Maradona (and that includes fat Ronaldo whose peak was amazing but prime too short). We will be waiting a long time for players of the level of these two to pop up again, and two at the same time may never happen.

I think there was an argument that people were going overboard about Messi circa 2008-10. He's put that to rest with his incredible consistency since then though. I think his quality is undeniable TBH.

Probably not the right forum to be having this discussion though.

Well if Bony is going for £30m+, I think we're right not to get involved. If he was here, he would struggle to get past Remy let alone Costa (and before everyone jumps on me and says Remy doesn't play, well that's due to Jose not rotating).

Given the way our squad building is going; I imagine our next striker buy will be genuine competition for Costa, not someone to ride the bench; allied to a younger player to be third choice (and never play).

^ I'd be utterly amazed if Messi isn't broadly considered the best player ever once he retires; a lot of mainstream football coverage already refers to him that way.

Just pointlessly echoing the 'Messi obviously isn't coming anywhere near SW6, but it's certifiable that anyone wouldn't want him' sentiments of the last few pages.

Brilliant logic. It's not about how good an individual player is, it's how he fits into the system. If we're to change that system, you're talking about a lot more money (and time) than the frankly ridiculous fees being bandied about for Messi.

Finally some sense.

It's the same flawed logic most football fans suffer from. They see a player in a league for a different team and expect him to be able to transfer those performances to a whole different country with a whole different playing style to a team and manager with a COMPLETELY different ethos to the one he used to play for.

It reminds me of the 10 year olds who's logic says "because we won against United and United won against City we should win against City as well".

Messi has played in a league were the top two teams routinely scores around 115 league goals/season and everything was built around him. He was even given a free role as a "false 9" where all he had to focus on was to score goals. The defenses are leaky (to be complimentary) and the difference in quality is stark between the best teams and the rest. The Barca pitch is huge compared to any pitch in the PL and he was allowed acres of space to utilise. That won't happen over here. There's no free space to be had and the little space that is gained requires your players to run their socks off to win it back and attack through a quick transition. If you're unable to do that, you can have a lot of flair players and still not score many goals because there is no space to allow you to score. Somehow I can't see Messi do that. I can't see him sacrificing himself for the team.

It isn't rocket science and he lacks all the traits that are necessary to be a success here imo. Best player to ever grace the English shores?

Hyperbole.

Ronaldo on the other hand... Is a complete player. He's strong, fast, good in the air, good technique and fantastic goalscoring ability even though he doesn't play as a striker. For me, Ronaldo are so much better than Messi that any comparison is ridiculous in my eyes. Messi has four Ballon D'Ors because he's the "nice" guy and Ronaldo isn't.

To return to my earlier point regarding transferring the skills to a different league. I can, at the top of my head, think of three players who has succeeded in doing that in later years. Zidane, C Ron and the fat Ronaldo. The common denominator between those three was that all of them moved from a stronger league to a weaker league albeit to (arguably) a stronger team.

Messi to Chelsea would be the opposite. Stronger league and weaker team.

Look at his pathetic efforts for Argentina. Half the player he looks like at Barca. I'd stay well, well clear of him.

Edited by Sleeping Dave

Very good signing by City if it comes through. He fits their system perfectly and might thrive. I think he is way to static to fit in with us so I see why we didn't get involved. I know we signed Drogba but that seemed to be more cases on stature than anything else, and as a third choice at that.