• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Harvz   

I know it sounds ridiculous to most football fans, but I've never liked Messi. I think it began around the time of Frisk/Øvrebo debacles. Not that those were his fault. Not that he scored either. It might have been the whole aura around Barca and him that just put me off. But then, I never disliked Xavi, Iniesta, Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Pedro or quite a few others, so who knows.

Definitely don't see him coming here. Don't want him in England though. Stronger league, but he'd still slice through a top 4 defence with ease on his day.

Very good signing by City if it comes through. He fits their system perfectly and might thrive. I think he is way to static to fit in with us so I see why we didn't get involved. I know we signed Drogba but that seemed to be more cases on stature than anything else, and as a third choice at that.

That and the fact he cost £30m. We paid £32m for Costa.

Lacks all the traits? Messi is a player of skills, who can do tricks, create something out of nothing, do magic on the ball, and isn't the tallest, being able to play in a few positions (number 10, striker, winger) and not performed at his best for his country.

Remind you of any player we signed, oh, in 1996 from Parma, who was 3 years older and had never won a single world player of the year gong? It should do.

The similarities between Messi and Zola are staggering - such a similar type of player, and Messi is even better. He's physically stronger, he's even more talented and has a good work rate, despite what people say and how he looks. And my suspicion is given the way things are at the club now, not even Messi signing would be allowed without Jose's say so. I'm pretty sure Jose could get the best out of Messi and make him even better.

Top players are top players - and they stay at the top for a reason. Messi has had to work hard to get where he is and stay there, and Jose would work him even harder. He did it with Hazard, and I'm pretty sure he could do it with Messi. Messi has suffered from poor management at national level, and at club level since Pep left. At Chelsea he'd be working with the best manager in the world.

He could comfortably fit into our system too - he could play number 10 or wide either side, or even up front if necessary. Playing with Fabregas, who he has a great relationship with both on and off the pitch, which again would help him settle in more quickly.

Prem is a different league - and it would take a few months to adapt. But someone with Messi's ability and consistent level of performance at a high level (his CL goalscoring record proves he can do it against top opponents), still at his peak, will surely be able to adapt, especially under a manager like Jose. He's hardly going to turn into a lame duck overnight. He would get less goals, yes, but Ronaldo got 30-40 goals a season in England, so I'm pretty sure once adapted Messi could get at least 30 goals a season, if not more.

If Zola, a player not quite as talented as Messi and similar in style and physical stature to Messi, can adapt and succeed in England coming here at 30, so can Messi coming here at 27/28.

Edited by James Prescott

paulw66   

Look at his pathetic efforts for Argentina. Half the player he looks like at Barca. I'd stay well, well clear of him.

1 goal every 2 games is far from "pathetic" if not the goal a game ratio he gets at Barca.

If Zola, a player not quite as talented as Messi and similar in style and physical stature to Messi, can adapt and succeed in England coming here at 30, so can Messi coming here at 27/28.

Whilst I agree with you, Zola cost £4.5m, Messi would cost the earth. Also in talent terms, Messi is on a different level to Zola.

cam4blue   

I know it sounds ridiculous to most football fans, but I've never liked Messi.

No. Completely understandable.

TBH for me it's the ridiculous pedestal he has been placed on. But also that he is clearly a massive t**t with a great PR machine around him trying to make out that he's Jesus.

Still, at a certain point, reality is reality. He's an amazing player who would improve any team in the world.

I don't think for a minute this will happen, but, consider this:

Messi's two main sponsors: Adidas and Turkish Airlines

Chelsea's two main sponsors from next season: Adidas and Turkish Airlines.

Both companies would be delighted to be represented by Messi on the pitch as well as off the pitch, both will want maximum exposure, Turkish Airlines in particular will want to make a big impact. Maybe, just maybe, they chip in a large amount to the transfer fee. It's asking an awful lot, but it's a theory.

How would that work? Never heard of a sponsor directly contributing to a transfer fee. Is that even legitimate under FFP?

Lampen   

No. Completely understandable.

TBH for me it's the ridiculous pedestal he has been placed on. But also that he is clearly a massive t**t with a great PR machine around him trying to make out that he's Jesus.

Still, at a certain point, reality is reality. He's an amazing player who would improve any team in the world.

I don't know why you guys are so buthurt but if you can't recognised his talent you are blind. You can still see his talent even though you don't like him. I don't like Ronaldo at all, I still can see his talent. Pr machine my ass. Messi never does anything with the media. He is a shy person, and if anything should be mentioned about his negative behaviour it's his autism like behaviour.

How would that work? Never heard of a sponsor directly contributing to a transfer fee. Is that even legitimate under FFP?

We were expected to sign a deal with Turkish Airlines for around £30 million per season.

If there is any truth to the rumour, which there almost certainly isn't , it's possible that that figure could become a great deal more and they could help fund it that way.

I'm only guessing here but I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility for something like this to happen, not necessarily with Messi, but a sponsor paying more than normal to help fund a signing.

The way FFP works it could be a possibility.

cam4blue   

I don't know why you guys are so buthurt but if you can't recognised his talent you are blind. You can still see his talent even though you don't like him.

Think you're talking to the wrong guy. Read the last line of my post, or any of my other posts on this topic, then say sorry. ;-p

Pr machine my ass.

Guy has more sponsors than AA.

if anything should be mentioned about his negative behaviour it's his autism like behaviour.

He is currently trying to get the whole board and manager and probably chairman of his football club replaced by agitating for a move publicly unless the changes he wants get made. What a guy.

Why sign Messi? He's not getting younger, been ran into the ground by Barca since he started playing at the top level, achieved pretty much everything so his motivation can't be as great as it once was, is definitely not at the level he was 2-3 years ago and like someone said, seems like a right t*t whose protected by a solid PR machine around him.

That's without mentioning the 200m fee and who knows the wages being bandied around which means Hazard, Oscar etc would have to be sold to accommodate his fee because of FFP. Honestly if we signed him then it would rank up there as one of the worst decisions made in the Roman Era and there's been a few already.