• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

He is currently trying to get the whole board and manager and probably chairman of his football club replaced by agitating for a move publicly unless the changes he wants get made. What a guy.

That would be absolutely my only argument, finances aside, against this move. There's been some very subdued stories about Messi treating his team-mates like they were his slaves.

EDIT: Not to mention all the nice-guy PR would disintegrate, should he join Chelsea. In a flash Messi would go from everybody's darling to being the most vilified person in football. Good for C-Ron's Ballon d'Or prospects, bad for everyone involved with Messi.

And although I don't agree with Sleeping Dave's opinion, I certainly see where he's coming from. It's far from a nailed on certainty that Messi would take the league by the storm.

Which really comes back around to my distaste for spending that big. Messi's a godlike player, but the risk of having an unshiftable little git ruining our hard-come-by financial health for the forseeable future is enough to put me off this transfer, no matter how attractive the prospect is.

That kind of money would be much better invested in multiple younger talents that could improve our starting XI and add some much needed depth. Three or four like Pogba and Varane would probably improve our side more than a single player, even someone as good as Messi, ever could.

Edited by Chelsea'Til_IDie

nateevs   

Finally some sense.

It's the same flawed logic most football fans suffer from. They see a player in a league for a different team and expect him to be able to transfer those performances to a whole different country with a whole different playing style to a team and manager with a COMPLETELY different ethos to the one he used to play for.

It reminds me of the 10 year olds who's logic says "because we won against United and United won against City we should win against City as well".

Messi has played in a league were the top two teams routinely scores around 115 league goals/season and everything was built around him. He was even given a free role as a "false 9" where all he had to focus on was to score goals. The defenses are leaky (to be complimentary) and the difference in quality is stark between the best teams and the rest. The Barca pitch is huge compared to any pitch in the PL and he was allowed acres of space to utilise. That won't happen over here. There's no free space to be had and the little space that is gained requires your players to run their socks off to win it back and attack through a quick transition. If you're unable to do that, you can have a lot of flair players and still not score many goals because there is no space to allow you to score. Somehow I can't see Messi do that. I can't see him sacrificing himself for the team.

It isn't rocket science and he lacks all the traits that are necessary to be a success here imo. Best player to ever grace the English shores?

Hyperbole.

Ronaldo on the other hand... Is a complete player. He's strong, fast, good in the air, good technique and fantastic goalscoring ability even though he doesn't play as a striker. For me, Ronaldo are so much better than Messi that any comparison is ridiculous in my eyes. Messi has four Ballon D'Ors because he's the "nice" guy and Ronaldo isn't.

To return to my earlier point regarding transferring the skills to a different league. I can, at the top of my head, think of three players who has succeeded in doing that in later years. Zidane, C Ron and the fat Ronaldo. The common denominator between those three was that all of them moved from a stronger league to a weaker league albeit to (arguably) a stronger team.

Messi to Chelsea would be the opposite. Stronger league and weaker team.

Look at his pathetic efforts for Argentina. Half the player he looks like at Barca. I'd stay well, well clear of him.

You are wrong. We play a 4-2-3-1 system. Messi is a phenomenal player that will fit it any position across the front-line. That includes the striking position. All this talk about you claiming he may not fit in our side is garbage and only save-face talk after erroneously claiming he is already past his best. As I stated earlier, Messi has already scored 23 goals in all competitions including 8 goals in the CL. If this is your idea of a past-it player, I don't know what to tell you.

It doesn't matter what you claim about defenses, City bought Aguero from this same league and he is now constantly tearing backlines apart. So did Torres. Heck we bought Costa on the back of him scoring numerous goals against rubbish defenders. He arrives in the PL and hits the ground running. If these mere mortals can shine in LaLiga and in the PL, how much more the world's best?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDW1vbgdyyQ

Who cares that he never scores against us? Watch the video above and see how Messi constantly troubles the City backline. This is against one of the best backlines in the PL. What's this overrating PL defences? Watch the first few seconds especially and see how Messi chases the ball back to his own box and retrieves it. What were you saying about him sacrificing himself?

Messi is a player who has phenomenal ability to penetrate space so little with the fewest touches possible, so the size of the pitch is inconsequential.

When he is not running at defenders, he can play behind the striker creating chances. Messi has creates 43 chances already this season.

I don't know what you are on about. Nothing you are saying makes sense. I don't care if you think Ronaldo is a better player, don't make Messi look inferior by trying to tell us how good Ronaldo is. This is one of the best players to play the gamee.

You think his efforts for Argentina are pathetic. This just says everything about your opinion. Just move on to another topic please.

Edited by nateevs

You are wrong. We play a 4-2-3-1 system. Messi is a phenomenal player that will fit it any position across the front-line. That includes the striking position. All this talk about you claiming he may not fit in our side is garbage and only save-face talk after erroneously claiming he is already past his best. As I stated earlier, Messi has already scored 23 goals in all competitions including 8 goals in the CL. If this is your idea of a past-it player, I don't know what to tell you.

I really fail to see what our formation has to do with Messi's ability. And my comments is not about saving face - I'm making a prediction on the back of an analysis you seem unable to comprehend.

Saving face is what others would do (like you) when he came here and failed (if he did) and you'd fall over each other trying to find reasons other than those I already mentioned. That's saving face my friend. What I'm doing is called making a prediction.

It doesn't matter what you claim about defenses, City bought Aguero from this same league and he is now constantly tearing backlines apart. So did Torres. Heck we bought Costa on the back of him scoring numerous goals against rubbish defenders. He arrives in the PL and hits the ground running. If these mere mortals can shine in LaLiga and in the PL, how much more the world's best?

The quality of the defences he face doesn't matter? Ok. I'm starting to understand your logic, or lack thereof, a little bit better now.

Aguero came here at what? 22? He's been a good player but hasn't really came into his own until later. He was bought at the right time and his physical ability is way above that of Messi. Costa is literally nothing like Messi or are you trying to say all the players in La Liga are the same but with different names? Is this the length of your 'analysis'?

Who cares that he never scores against us? Watch the video above and see how Messi constantly troubles the City backline. This is against one of the best backlines in the PL. What's this overrating PL defences? Watch the first few seconds especially and see how Messi chases the ball back to his own box and retrieves it. What were you saying about him sacrificing himself?

Yes. I'm convinced. One game against a struggling City in Europe.

Messi is a player who has phenomenal ability to penetrate space so little with the fewest touches possible, so the size of the pitch is inconsequential.

I disagree. Space is everything. Why do you think it's hard to break down a team that "parks the bus"? I'll give you one guess. Yes, lack of space. Next.

I don't know what you are on about. Nothing you are saying makes sense. I don't care if you think Ronaldo is a better player, don't make Messi look inferior by trying to tell us how good Ronaldo is. This is one of the best players to play the gamee.

I can certainly see that you have a problem understanding what I've said. It's called making a call on the back of analysing him, us, the way Jose wants is to play and the challenges of the PL. Maybe that's too many parameters for you to process?

You think his efforts for Argentina are pathetic. This just says everything about your opinion. Just move on to another topic please.

His efforts compared to what he shows at Barca yes. Ask any Argentinian if they think he's the best ever player. I'd be genuinely surprised if more than 10% of them would say yes.

Compared to Maradona Messi is nothing for most Argentinians. I'd certainly sympathise with them on that point.

That would be absolutely my only argument, finances aside, against this move. There's been some very subdued stories about Messi treating his team-mates like they were his slaves.

EDIT: Not to mention all the nice-guy PR would disintegrate, should he join Chelsea. In a flash Messi would go from everybody's darling to being the most vilified person in football. Good for C-Ron's Ballon d'Or prospects, bad for everyone involved with Messi.

And although I don't agree with Sleeping Dave's opinion, I certainly see where he's coming from. It's far from a nailed on certainty that Messi would take the league by the storm.

Which really comes back around to my distaste for spending that big. Messi's a godlike player, but the risk of having an unshiftable little git ruining our hard-come-by financial health for the forseeable future is enough to put me off this transfer, no matter how attractive the prospect is.

That kind of money would be much better invested in multiple younger talents that could improve our starting XI and add some much needed depth. Three or four like Pogba and Varane would probably improve our side more than a single player, even someone as good as Messi, ever could.

First of all - I'm almost 100% certain Joae wouldn't be that stupid to undo all the good he did by shipping Luiz, Mata and KDB only to spunk it all plus a handsome fee on top for a past his peak Messi. Secondly, Messi would literally be the oppositite of what we seem to want in that position.

Thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, we could as you say get a handful of young world class players for the same fee that could set us up for years to come.

Signing Messi would go against everything we're said to want to do here. Or should I say, it would go against everything Mourinho has said he want to do here.

Edited by Sleeping Dave

First of all - I'm almost 100% certain Joae wouldn't be that stupid to undo all the good he did by shipping Luiz, Mata and KDB only to spunk it all plus a handsome fee on top for a past his peak Messi. Secondly, Messi would literally be the oppositite of what we seem to want in that position.

Thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, we could as you say get a handful of young world class players for the same fee that could set us up for years to come.

Signing Messi would go against everything we're said to want to do here. Or should I say, it would go against everything Mourinho has said he want to do here.

1+2) I don't know, at some point Messi was deceptively good at defending. He'd probably take to the pressing side of our game rather well, if he wanted to. I'm not sure he'd be the best fit for the side, but hypothetically, if we got Messi, surely there'd be some changes to get the best out of him.

Certainly not a perfect fit, but he's not as far out as Schurrle or Salah, for example.

3) Yeah, that's the major point for me. Messi is a brilliant footballer (I don't think you disagree there), but the money would go much further if invested differently.

Things change quickly in football. Let's face it, if precedence is anything to go by, once Abramovic can get his hands on "the best player in...", he's likely to do it. No matter what came before or what's supposed to come after.

Bony going to City. So off to bench warm once Aguero and Dzeko are fit. At least here he would be second choice and get decent amounts of games.

Like Remy, for example?

1+2) I don't know, at some point Messi was deceptively good at defending. He'd probably take to the pressing side of our game rather well, if he wanted to. I'm not sure he'd be the best fit for the side, but hypothetically, if we got Messi, surely there'd be some changes to get the best out of him.

Certainly not a perfect fit, but he's not as far out as Schurrle or Salah, for example.

3) Yeah, that's the major point for me. Messi is a brilliant footballer (I don't think you disagree there), but the money would go much further if invested differently.

Things change quickly in football. Let's face it, if precedence is anything to go by, once Abramovic can get his hands on "the best player in...", he's likely to do it. No matter what came before or what's supposed to come after.

1+2) We would almost certainly have to change the way we play. At RW I think Messi would run the risk of being marginalised. At S I think he'd really struggle and I think we would lose some of our edge. Costa is doing a brilliant job not only scoring but the way he approaches the game and what he offers is when we sit had the ball.

If we did sign Messi he'd almost certainly play as a 10 I reckon which in turn would mean a Matic/Fabregas CM partnership would have to be re-considered with Fabregas the obvious one to be left out in that case. A Messi/Fabregas/Matic central line in the middle would be lightweight and short on pressing ability. We'd be unbalanced.

So signing Messi wouldn't mean a vast improvement I reckon. We'd have to sacrifice other players to accommodate him. The FM fans only see this:

-------Fabregas-Matic

Willian------Messi-----Hazard

Without thinking of what it would do to the overall balance. I can't see a working formation without sacrificing either Fabregas or Hazard. Simply not worth the risk and if people expect him to be "the best player to ever grace the Premiership" he's bound to be a massive failure.

3) Yes, Messi is a brilliant footballer. No denying that. But it's the ridiculous hyperbole that gets to me. Other brilliant players such as Neymar, Ibrahimovic and Suarez are utterly marginalised when playing with him at Barca because Messi goes before everyone else on that team. Instead of buying one past his peak Messi we could sign at least 5 Hazards yet to hit their peak. How anyone can chose Messi ahead of the second option is literally beyond my comprehension.

Like Remy, for example?

He'll get more games than he will behind Aguero, Jovetic and Dzeko, rotating as second choice with Remy behind Costa.

He will regret going there more than he would coming here.

And no, we would not have to change the way we play to have Messi here.

People who say that usually make the assumption big names don't work hard or have to be accommodated, and won't ever fit with a Jose team.

Which is totally wrong. Jose proved it at Madrid himself. And Messi is a team player, with a good work rate and willing to work physically.

Jose wouldn't pursue him unless he thought he could improve us and fit with what we are doing here. And Jose is a big fan of his, let's be clear. His comments about him over Christmas made that abundantly clear.

This criticism of four time world player of the year who has more goals than any of our players this season, sound a lot like one persons constant criticism of a certain midfielder despite his being one of our best players consistently, they really do.

Messi would play the number 10 role and would fit there perfectly, and has the team ethic, work rate and power to fit into the English game, just as Zola and Aguero, who have similar size and are similar types of player, have done.

Jose would get the best out of him, without doubt.

It won't happen anyway, so we will never know, it's all arguing over nothing.

The reason not to buy Messi is purely financial for me. Spend the money - if you are going to spend it - on more Hazards. Not on one Messi you will only have for five seasons.

Football wise there is no argument. It's a yes without doubt - and I am pretty sure Jose would welcome him here football wise.

Remember, Jose applied to be Barca manager the year Pep took over. They chose Pep only because Jose wouldn't compromise his style with the media. So Jose wanted to manage Messi before.

Edited by James Prescott