• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

And of course, you can always tell we're serious about a player. Because half the people on the forum write them off before they arrive. People did it with Costa and even with Fabregas. I remember some did with Matic (and still do).

The club's transfer dealings in the last 3-4 years have been blinding. Just blinding. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt. Our scouting network is excellent at all levels quite frankly.

Edited by James Prescott

So is Thorgan Hazard, and we already own him.

Yes, but I don't want him here on the bench, which he would be. At his age and period of development he should be playing every week, for this season. Bring him back in the summer, yes, and I think they will. But not now.

And of course, you can always tell we're serious about a player. Because half the people on the forum write them off before they arrive. People did it with Costa and even with Fabregas. I remember some did with Matic (and still do).

The club's transfer dealings in the last 3-4 years have been blinding. Just blinding. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt. Our scouting network is excellent at all levels quite frankly.

Someone or other will slag off anyone we are linked to. Few of them come, so I don't get your theory linking the club's seriousness about a player and this forum writing them off. Incidentally only a very small minority wrote off Costa before he came, a very very small minority wrote off Fabregas, and an even smaller minority expected Matic to fail.

Our scouting network is clearly absolute rubbish with players who have not become first team regulars before coming here. Completely Shite. (Excellent with players who have 50+ first team appearances and cost £10m+ though).

Yes, but I don't want him here on the bench, which he would be. At his age and period of development he should be playing every week, for this season. Bring him back in the summer, yes, and I think they will. But not now.

Why would he be? He has more talent now than either Schurrle or Salah, and imo more attacking skills than Willian. He'd also be a lively replacement for his brother, when a rest was needed. However, I wasn't actually talking about the January window in any case, just the seemingly pointless 'project' that involves buying really talented young players, farming them out never-ending loans, all the while bringing in older (and arguably, as/less talented) players to occupy the spots in the squad that the young guys should be getting. How long have we been talking about this situation? And how many of our loan players/academy players have ever been given a real chance? If you see that changing any time soon under Jose, then good for you, but I don't.

Just for a quick comparison - Sterling was given his senior debut in March 2012 (aged just 17), and has now clocked up around 116 appearances (most of them starts) for the senior team (all comps). If he'd been ours, he'd still be out on loan at Vitesse.

As to the 'he should be playing every week' bit - all well and good. However, what good does it actually do for these guys, as they seem to be forgotten about by the club (or, most likely, Mourinho) when they're out there playing regularly? It seems to me that talented guys like Traore, Bamford, Hazard, Omeruo, Atsu, Kalas, Chalobah, Van Ginkel, et al, are more likely to be sold-on, than ever play for Chelsea on more than a 'lip service' manner. And the same goes for the brighter of our academy stars. Personally, this is the one area of the club's activities that I think they've made a pig's ear of, even allowing for the obvious fact that some of these guys won't end up being good enough.

What has Thorgan Hazard done to suggest he is a more viable option than Schurrle, Salah or a 26 year old new signing with hundreds of appearances? I can't profess to watch much Bundesliga, especially outside of the top few sides, but he doesn't appear to have nailed down a starting place there.

We need players who will actually get used. If Salah goes and Cuadrado comes in, our squad gets a player bigger and that is becoming increasingly important.

What has Thorgan Hazard done to suggest he is a more viable option than Schurrle, Salah or a 26 year old new signing with hundreds of appearances? I can't profess to watch much Bundesliga, especially outside of the top few sides, but he doesn't appear to have nailed down a starting place there.

We need players who will actually get used. If Salah goes and Cuadrado comes in, our squad gets a player bigger and that is becoming increasingly important.

I watch a bit, but not as much as I used to (i.e., last season). What I've seen of him has been impressive, and I'd certainly rate him above either Salah or Schurrle (but particularly Salah), although that's just my opinion. remember what we're talking about here - a replacement for either Salah or Schurrle - players who haven't exactly 'nailed down' a starting place here, either. So, do we sign this 26 year old with hundreds of appearances to fill a squad spot (i.e., to replace say, Salah), or do we sign him to take another player's spot in the starting team (e.g., Willian)? If it's the former, then as far as I'm concerned, we should be offering those places to young guys we own, who clearly have talent and the potential to improve, and not some 26 year old established player who's no star himself.

And I'd ask you in return, what Sterling had done before Liverpool brought him into the first team squad? And again, what he'd done before they gambled and put him in with Suarez and Sturridge, as one of their main attacking options last season? Now, and it is just my opinion, but I believe that Hazard is more talented and has a more exciting skill-set than Sterling.

As to the 'he should be playing every week' bit - all well and good. However, what good does it actually do for these guys, as they seem to be forgotten about by the club (or, most likely, Mourinho) when they're out there playing regularly? It seems to me that talented guys like Traore, Bamford, Hazard, Omeruo, Atsu, Kalas, Chalobah, Van Ginkel, et al, are more likely to be sold-on, than ever play for Chelsea on more than a 'lip service' manner. And the same goes for the brighter of our academy stars. Personally, this is the one area of the club's activities that I think they've made a pig's ear of, even allowing for the obvious fact that some of these guys won't end up being good enough.

I think that's become a quite obvious part of the clubs plan to deal with FFP and whether you like it or not, it's here to stay.

Just for a quick comparison - Sterling was given his senior debut in March 2012 (aged just 17), and has now clocked up around 116 appearances (most of them starts) for the senior team (all comps). If he'd been ours, he'd still be out on loan at Vitesse.

Glad you mentioned Traore - no one will be able to convince me he's an inferior player to Salah. Arguments about who we were up against aside, he didn't look of place on that pre-season tour, in fact, you would have laughed disbelievingly if someone told you he was a 17 year old trialist. He seems to be doing alright at Vitesse by all accounts, and with better players around him he could easily go up another level.

Is it really wise to spend £27m on someone who I'd struggle to call an 'elite' player (and someone at the stage where we'll struggle to get that resale value), when we have players like Traore and Thorgan Hazard in our ranks? I don't think it is.

I dread to think what we would have done with Sterling. And if Harry Kane was ours and had the season he had last year with Leicester (2 goals in 15 games in the Championship) then there would be people saying he'd never cut in the top-flight. It will be interesting to see what happens with Bamford this summer, but I think I already know the answer. Ryan Bertrand doesn't look like he's having a bad time of it at Southampton either. Bertrand or Filipe Luis is another argument that can be thrown in - do we look £20m better off there?

Edited by Box of Tricks

Problem with Bertrand Traore is, and continues to be, his work permit.

While he was on his way to satisfying the appeals criteria for special talent, appeals seem to no longer be allowed after this transfer window. Meaning: I think he HAS to come back (or at least try) sometime in the next nine days.

After this window closes, his chances are very slim, since the work permit criteria are supposed to change to:

Dyke's key proposals

* Subjective panel hearings will be scrapped

* International appearance threshold cut to 30 per cent

* Player would have to play for a country in Fifa’s top 50

* Exemptions for players costing over £10m

Burkina Faso currently sits on 64 and is unlikely to get much higher in the near future, with their exit from the AFCoN at the group stage pretty likely.
Paying 10m for him is also no option, since he's already ours, subjective appeals no longer exist. Dead end.

Edited by Chelsea'Til_IDie

Khobar   

We could play players like Sterling regularly, but be prepared to battle away in 8th place whilst blooding them in and don't expect the media frenzy that Sterling gets.