• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

The problem affecting us all is that 27m no longer buys an elite player, it gets you a half decent squad player, as Spurs and Liverpool can attest to.

For years we've needed a player who looks totally comfortable wide right, Willian despite his handiness and willingness and evident qualities, is not that player.

If you need to spend that money , then spend that money you must.

Personally, I don't think we'll bother unless we do sell Schurlle or Salah anyway.

I'm obviously not much in the way of a talent spotter as I thought VanAarnholt and Piazon both looked capable squad options.

paulw66   

Problem with Bertrand Traore is, and continues to be, his work permit.

While he was on his way to satisfying the appeals criteria for special talent, appeals seem to no longer be allowed after this transfer window. Meaning: I think he HAS to come back (or at least try) sometime in the next nine days.

After this window closes, his chances are very slim, since the work permit criteria are supposed to change to:

Burkina Faso currently sits on 64 and is unlikely to get much higher in the near future, with their exit from the AFCoN at the group stage pretty likely.

Paying 10m for him is also no option, since he's already ours, subjective appeals no longer exist. Dead end.

The £10m is daft. You are going to end up with clubs paying over £10m for a guy worth half that so that they can get the permit.

Why should a club be punished for getting someone on a free transfer? It should be about ability, not cost.

I really hope these Cuadrado rumours are BS he really isn't that good and will end up at best as a rotation option for Willian.

The £10m is daft. You are going to end up with clubs paying over £10m for a guy worth half that so that they can get the permit.

Why should a club be punished for getting someone on a free transfer? It should be about ability, not cost.

But that has the required effect, in that it's going to make clubs think: Is that player worth paying an extra x million for, or should I not try and get some English/EU-national player.

Too many players were getting in via appeals (success rate in the 70%s), so they cut that entirely.

You could argue over the exact numbers and cut-offs (quality of execution), but the idea (making capacity for English nationals by cutting sub-par foreign ones) here is quite clear. Can't say I disagree with it, either.

Unfortunately, as ever, there will be a few harsh cases, and it looks like Bertrand Traore might become one of them.

We don't need a rotation option for Willian?

Not for 27 million.

The problem affecting us all is that 27m no longer buys an elite player, it gets you a half decent squad player, as Spurs and Liverpool can attest to.

For years we've needed a player who looks totally comfortable wide right, Willian despite his handiness and willingness and evident qualities, is not that player.

If you need to spend that money , then spend that money you must.

We may have learned our lesson after stockpiling wingers in the 8-12m bracket (Marin, Moses, Salah) in the hope that we had stumbled across a gem on the cheap.

Cuadrado looks overpriced at 26m but considering we've not had much luck in this department of late, it might actually be cheaper to blow the money on one player who might actually contribute to the team.

I think that's become a quite obvious part of the clubs plan to deal with FFP and whether you like it or not, it's here to stay.

There are large parts of the clubs young player program that have clearly shown to be heavily loss-making and will continue to be so. There is no way they can be part of an FFP approach. There are other bits that have been successful and justify themselves irrespective of FFP.

Sciatika   

There are large parts of the clubs young player program that have clearly shown to be heavily loss-making and will continue to be so. There is no way they can be part of an FFP approach. There are other bits that have been successful and justify themselves irrespective of FFP.

I'm confused. I thought that youth development was exempted from FFP.

Also, its hard to judge whether it will be loss-making in the future (though I agree it has been loss-making in the past). Imagine we were to bring in a young player for moderate transfer fee and then loan them out to successive clubs with a loan fee that covers the amortisation value of the transfer AND the loaning club pays the wages, then I think everyone wins. We make a profit because the cost of the player is an FFP exemption whilst, during the amortisation period, we have have a saleable asset. The player gets the needed experience and match time as well as the opportunity to play for a top club and the loaning clubs get to use a good young player without the capital cost of the transfer.

Edited by Sciatika

GazMHU   

Still think Griezmann would be a better buy considering he went for less in the summer.

yeah, very good player but he still went for big money, £20m plus. I like Kevin Miralles, proven in the Prem & scores goals but he'd probably cost just as much.