• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Harvz   

Think Oscar's pressing is more of an advantage than Griezmann's goal threat though?

The only question is whether Mourinho thinks it is or isn't. I'd imagine he'd swap them as suited to each game. No harm either... the first 11 start every game mentality is unsustainable over multiple seasons.

BBC Sport Gossip Column: "Chelsea and Liverpool are both interested in signing veteran Juventus midfielder Andrea Pirlo, 35, who has a year left on his contract and hinted he could leave the Italian champions. (Tuttosport - in Italian) ".

Not serious, I hope? A great player in his pomp, but a touch ... grizzled .... now?

Nonsense. Six years ago, maybe. Now? No chance.

BBC Sport Gossip Column: "Chelsea and Liverpool are both interested in signing veteran Juventus midfielder Andrea Pirlo, 35, who has a year left on his contract and hinted he could leave the Italian champions. (Tuttosport - in Italian) ".

Not serious, I hope? A great player in his pomp, but a touch ... grizzled .... now?

I remember being strongly linked to him under Ancelotti before the 10/11 season, and everyone complaining he was too old at 30. Amazing how well he's still playing and how things really don't change.

The only question is whether Mourinho thinks it is or isn't. I'd imagine he'd swap them as suited to each game. No harm either... the first 11 start every game mentality is unsustainable over multiple seasons.

Agreed on the latter. Very easy for opposition managers to read and our players definitely looked leggy in the second half at times. Giving Fabregas a rest without a noticeable drop in quality would be a great feeling

Edited by Curtis Brand

xCELERYx   

Still an excellent player that has something to offer, just unlikely to be here, or the EPL in general. Will probably end up in the MLS which he's shown interest in prior.

Still an excellent player that has something to offer, just unlikely to be here, or the EPL in general. Will probably end up in the MLS which he's shown interest in prior.

Can't see why we would need him though, seeing as how we have Cesc as our playmaker.

kumbaya   

Di Maria: What a great player, had a very good 14/15 season at RM and a great WC. 3 goals, 6 assists in his first 9 games this season., then he got injured again and since then he has not played that much. There are some very good options for one of the AM positions (Reus, Griezmann, Di Maria; one more expensive than the other) we urgently need to upgrade to have a chance in the CL.

Ham   

Di Maria: What a great player, had a very good 14/15 season at RM and a great WC. 3 goals, 6 assists in his first 9 games this season., then he got injured again and since then he has not played that much. There are some very good options for one of the AM positions (Reus, Griezmann, Di Maria; one more expensive than the other) we urgently need to upgrade to have a chance in the CL.

There is no way in the world we are getting Di Maria from United. Even if they'd sell him to a rival he'd cost the same as United paid for him and he's not worth what they paid.

Anyone watched dzagoev lately?

I remember us heavily linked with him some years ago, but I sont think we actually ever tabled a bid.

Quite surprised when I checked his wiki that he is only 24 years old. His value is listed at around 15m .

Out of the players mentioned I think I would opt for Koke. Him Fab and Oscar can rotate through two positions and would all get plenty of game time across the season. Will take the creative burden off Fabregas and Hazard and enable us to still control possession when Cesc is having an of day. Reminds me of Cazorla who is a player a rate very highly. Koke works his socks off as an added bonus.

Griezmann is a player I also like but I would hesitate before buying another RW. I have touched on it before that Willian plays a key tactical role in this side. He plays a bit like a striker in that he holds up the ball excellently. Jose sets us up as a team to drift left when attacking. Fabregas, Costa and Oscar all play as close to Hazard as possible in order to facilitate fluid triangles when we are on song.

This leaves Willian largely isolated out on the right wing. When the play is switched the only player close to him is Ivanovic. He can be frustrating with his hesitation at times but it is also a key strength. He is able to dribble in circles and keep possession to give the team time to shift across to the right. He also has the passing ability to find a team mate more often than not.

This is a big part of why others have struggled there. Mata briefly, Schurrle, Salah, KDB and now Cuadrado. When they recieved the ball in those isolated positions they can beat the first man but then lose it when there is another defender and no Chelsea players close.

Perhaps a player such as Griezman or Bale would be of sufficient quality that Jose would tinker our set up rather then send all of our attacks through Hazard. I'm not sure that that is the best idea anyway.

One last point. All of the best Willian performances that spring to mind have all Ben in the number 10 role when he has been closer to the action. Everton, Stoke both last season and this, and separately Shaktar versus us. Playing there opens up his fantastic passing range and allow him to be a greater attacking threat. He rarely played RW pre-Chelsea and was predominantly a number 10/ LW. He is not a player to go to the byline and cross consistently although he has been doing that of late. Signing Koke would probably restrict him further from playing central which would be annoying. I just don't think anyone else can play the role he currently does in the team.

Edited by samhoward17

There's an agent on Twitter, who is usually pretty reliable - says we've asked seriously about Stones and might be making a bid. Plus, there's a lot of rumours in the papers about us & Stones. Wouldn't be surprised if he rocked up here, especially given he'll be cheaper than Varane and is more versatile. Being English helps too IMO.

Pogba is the dream. If we don't get him wouldn't mind Koke - though assume he can only play AM, not a deeper role. Still, with RLC coming through not sure we need to buy anyone for the deeper role specifically. Plus with Koke we have a bargaining chip with Luis, though we'd then need to replace him, hence the links with Creswell, who would cost about the same as we'd get back, but is younger and English.

Koke, Stones, Creswell, backup keeper and Benteke/new striker. That's just over £100 million. I know Jose said we didn't need to sell, but surely we'd need to bring in some money for that much expenditure, and I'm sure Oscar, Cech, and Luis at least would all be on the way, which would reduce the net spend to about £30-40 million, which we probably could afford.

Going to be an interesting summer.