• Current Donation Goals

Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

We should re-sign Mata. Maybe that's the big news we've got wrapped up.

That would make it one hell of a naughty seat that JM sent him to :)

I can tell you where it is going. Despite English teams having coffers swelled with money, the top talent in the world doesn't come here. They go to other teams such as Barca, Real and Bayern.

I wonder why that is Dave?

Your insistence that money does not buy talent is getting luddite. I know how james would describe it.

I wonder why that is Dave?

Your insistence that money does not buy talent is getting luddite. I know how james would describe it.

Never said such thing. That's you trying to defend your own stance.

The supply of too talent is very limited. They go to the most prestigious clubs (of which none is English). The rest are going to the other clubs and we pay a ridiculous premium for ayers who aren't much, if any, better than the players you think aren't even Championship standard.

Quote from Mark Hughes in a Stoke-based newspaper about Begovic - looks like the deal is done. Now for the 'proper' signings (ie: who aren't just backups or replacements for outgoing players):

"As far as I'm aware Asmir will travel to Chelsea and that will be concluded. People are assuming that he is going as a back-up but I know having worked with Asmir that he will back his own ability. He will think he can challenge Courtois and get game time else he wouldn't have gone there."

Never said such thing. That's you trying to defend your own stance.

The supply of too talent is very limited. They go to the most prestigious clubs (of which none is English). The rest are going to the other clubs and we pay a ridiculous premium for ayers who aren't much, if any, better than the players you think aren't even Championship standard.

It's not even just the top talent (with a few exceptions) that won't come here.

Look at Turan (who some claimed we wanted to sign)... not exactly the biggest name on the planet, and plenty of other players better than him in his position, yet he'd prefer to miss half a season waiting for Barcelona's transfer ban to end than play elsewhere. Even when he does become available, he'll be well down the pecking order. Apparently there were never any discussions between us and his agent, as the player had his heart set on Barca. So when a "reasonable, but no more than that" player has that mindset, who (other than a few delusional fans living in cloud cuckoo land) seriously believes the likes of Neymar, Pogba, Muller etc would be interested?

We did well in attracting Costa and Cesc last season. However none of the signings so far made by clubs in the top six (with the exception of Arsenal signing Cech) has made me think "I wish we'd gone for him!" (and in Cech's case it was "I wish we still had him")

I would be incredibly surprised if Pogba came to England... I think he'll stay one more year at Juve and go to Barca or (less likely) Madrid next summer. Maybe we can tempt someone like Lacazette if he truly does want to leave Lyon this summer, but he is very much on the "good potential" rung of the ladder rather than the "proven superstar" one... and it's rare they come to England.

Yes Bob. Tell that to the "money is the only criteria" brigade. You have members on here who seriously believe a lot of Championship teams would be doing well in La Liga for example.

I'm struggling to see how they can reach that conclusion.

But if you look at money spent and wage budgets without thinking of the quality those £ will get you, it's easy to draw the absolutely wrong conclusion. If there was a limitless supply of superstars yes, I would agree with them. But there isn't, the players who truly make a difference is getting fewer and fewer.

I can only conclude most people don't understand what supply does to prices. It's a sellers market and have been for a long time. That's why we see bang on average players going for prices 3-4 times higher than similar players in other leagues.

If United are signing Schweinstieger, does that mean they'll lose interest in Schneiderlin?

£25m (which I believe is what Southampton want for him) is a bit high, but then that's the premium you need to pay for someone who counts as Home Grown/Association Trained for Premiership and UEFA squad regulations. He's certainly proved himself in England over a few seasons and could play alongside Matic, thereby allowing Cesc to play further forward when necessary.

I'm not sure what's happening regarding Mikel... Turkish media keep linking him with Fenerbahce, but there is rarely any news from English sources (except those repeating the Turkish stories) and the same stories were doing the rounds last summer and nothing happened. However, if he were to go, I wouldn't say no to Schneiderlin as a replacement (even though their styles and roles are different)

I think that's a good price for a player he is. Schneiderlin would be a great addition.

I have to admit I also find it strange that we do not seem to be sniffing around Schneiderlin, as not only is he exactly the type of player that we require for the pivot, but he also has the Brucie bonus of not having high wages, being HG qualified, no rock star attitude and Is available for his actual market value. All in all, unless the club buys into the hype and shells out £70m for Pogba or somehow convinces Juve to sell Marchisiho, I don't actually see many better players that we could get for the position.

*I know Pogba isn't actually a out and out pivot player however if we did buy him, I'd imagine Jose would have him and Cesc in fluid interchanging positions.

Edited by sebcfc

Apparently Zlatan won't cost more than £3m and £100k/week wages.

He's still absolute quality. Would have been cool to see him here although the train has obviously left and he's only going downhill from here.